User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Giro d'Italia (Spoilers Wagers and Hedges)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2015 Giro d'Italia (Spoilers Wagers and Hedges)

Let's get this underway. Nice stage today I think. Starting to get into the Apennines and Apuan Alps. Tomorrow will be a nice uphill finish at Abetone, which is a stone's throw from where we vacation often in the summer. I plan to ride most of the stage in July. Nice area, amazing food, friendly people.

So far - other than the crashes and some terrible injuries - Tinkov Saxo has impressed with their presence at the front, Matthews & Orica have done exactly what they set out to do, and Elia Viviani had a nice win the other day, his first stage win in a Giro.

Ok, go...
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia (Spoilers Wagers and Hedges)

Simon Clarke or Esteban Chaves in pink?

Orica, Movistar, Cannondale, BMC, Astana (though Astana is leading the chase by the peloton) and perhaps others have two in the lead group today.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realizing I'll be in Italy for the last 9 stages of the Giro, though well away from being able to watch any stages live. How engaged is the country at large in following the race? Would I be able to watch stage finishes by ducking into cafes or bars each afternoon, or is it harder to seek out? I am 99% sure our rental house does not have a TV.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that was a pretty special stage. Awesome win by Formolo and looks like Clarke will be wearing pink tomorrow. Today was certainly a good argument for shorter stages/races.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Just realizing I'll be in Italy for the last 9 stages of the Giro, though well away from being able to watch any stages live. How engaged is the country at large in following the race? Would I be able to watch stage finishes by ducking into cafes or bars each afternoon, or is it harder to seek out? I am 99% sure our rental house does not have a TV.
    Yes. Perhaps not all cafés will have it on, but you'll be able to find a place to watch. And if you go into a place with a tv and the race isn't on, then you can ask if they'll switch.

Pretty terrific stage today. Formolo took the chance at the right moment.

Clarke either didn't know Formolo was ahead or was excited about the pink jersey, but he did a little celebration when he crossed the line. Visconti helpfully reached over after the finish and let him know he was second.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complimenti a Formolo, but seeing Simon Clarke tearing up in his postrace interview was sad enough. He did get the Maglia Rosa though so that's something. Great stage performance from Formolo, and at 23!
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing that there will be discussion about whether Riis would have used the team like Tinkoff did today. Contador is ok and Astana also did quite a bit of work at the end, so it might not matter, but this is still stage 4 and there are other teams with GC threats who haven't been at the front.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I'm here now. The country itself isn't too engaged in the race. Gazzetta della Sport (pink paper in all cafes) has coverage but usually soccer is on the first page. Maybe now that an Italian won he'll make the cover.

As Jorn says you can get most of the cafes to turn it on. They almost all have TVs for watching soccer (calcio) but it'll be on RAI so they should be able to access it. And it's Italy so if one cafe won't turn it on, just walk next door (two doors max) to another cafe until you find one that will turn it on.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This type of terrain is great for racing and yields a great race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are so inclined, follow Chad Haga's (Giant-Alpecin) blog on Velonews. Chad Haga Archives - VeloNews.com

He has been in the break the past two days and always has some fun comments on the stages. (He has also had kind of a dream trajectory since graduating from college.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giro, AKA Tour of Australia. Gerrans, Matthews, Clarke.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow's stage 5 looks like fun. After Foce Carpinelli, the road runs down the middle of the Garfagnana valley. The road to Abetone is not HC steep, but it comes after what looked to be a strenuous and hectic day. Really pretty area, but during WWII it was the location of part of the Gothic Line built by the Germans to prevent the Allies from removing forces from Italy north to the German front. Barga contains a really lovely duomo that still shows the bullet holes from the battles.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astana blew it apart today reminiscent of US Postal if I saw it well on the Rai short version. I hope it's not to good to be true. Stage 3 and 4 with great racing. Moreno Hofland will win a sprint later I predict. If he only had one leadout with him he would have gotten stage 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    Giro, AKA Tour of Australia. Gerrans, Matthews, Clarke.
    I think Orica is playing their cards very well. Now with Clarke in the lead, they have Chavez just below him in the GC in case Clarke has a bad day. They could stay in pink for a while. However they will have to keep up with the battle between Tinkoff and Astana and the high speeds that produces. And Sky would be wise to keep calm for a while.

I

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stage today.

Excellent to see the GC guys attacking each other on the climb.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The road down out of Barga is really tough. I've seen cars ride the barriers with a headlight. Coverage today showed a Katyusha rider in the breakaway take a quick detour up someone's drive and then Orica nearly had a bad ending when the front half of their train nearly went into a trattoria. But Savine and Mark Koghee's favorite rider (for different reasons perhaps) Jan Polanc rode a nice race and ended up getting to Abetone first. But Contador is in pink now, so I really hope everyone starts throwing the kitchen sink at him because otherwise we are going to be watching for stage wins only from here on out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way Astana are riding, Aru might be able to isolate Contador. Not sure about Porte; he always seems to have one bad day on Grand Tours and take himself out of contention. I don't expect anyone else to contest those for the top three (barring a crash or other unfortunate incident).

The TT stage should be interesting as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ...Contador is in pink now, so I really hope everyone starts throwing the kitchen sink at him because otherwise we are going to be watching for stage wins only from here on out.
    Sky has every motivation to do so - knowing that they'll be doing Froome a favour the more they take out of him.
    AND, with Astana absolutely having to go DEFCON 1 every chance they get to make up for what Aru may lose in the long TT - Sky knows they can keep their powder dry till the 2nd 1/2 of the race.

I think that if Sky's domestiques can hold up (and they've got so super-strong guys here), they'll be much more a threat on the run in to Milan.
    Astana has firepower, but the squad they have here aren't nearly as used to riding coherently for GC (squad-wide) as Sky is -

Alberto still probably wins it - I don't think Porte can do enough in the TT, and I'm not sure he can stay healthy through the wet mountain stages -
    But, fair play to 2015 versions of Aru & Porte - both are strong racers and would easily be podium contenders of any GT in the last 5-6 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. And of the 3 teams, Sky has been at the front the least, for what it's worth.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch. DO NOT watch the replay.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast