User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2 new bikes in the past 10 days...both amazing, neither VSalon worthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2 new bikes in the past 10 days...both amazing, neither VSalon worthy.

So in the past 10 days I have scored two brand new bikes. One you might see on here, one you would never see on here.

First, I broke down and bought myself a Trek beach cruiser. I live at the beach, so why not. I have ridden it all over the island, on the boardwalk, to the coffee shop up the road, to the grocery store, etc. Jeans and sweatshirt are the kit of choice, and I absolutely love riding it. I never owned a beach cruiser, and never thought I would. That said, I love every minute of riding it.

On Sunday, my wife surprised me and said it was time to upgrade my 1993 Gary Fisher MTB with something a little better/newer. AS a side, my wife has a very nice full squish mtb., and she prefers the trails to the road any day.

My first thought was something custom, but then my senses took over and I decided that my skill and usage level do not warrant a full custom mtb. Instead, I got a Specialized Epic 29er. This bike is amazing, pretty well equipped, and just what I needed for a little change of pace.

I guess my reason for writing is that I have come to the realization that I am happiest on two wheels. I have come to the further realization that it doesn't matter if those two wheels are under my Eriksen, Zanc, beach cruiser, or new mtb.

Other than that, there is no point to this post. That said, if you haven't ridden a beach cruiser down the boardwalk with your wife/kids/anyone, I highly recommend it. It is really good for the soul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2 new bikes in the past 10 days...both amazing, neither VSalon worthy.

Kind of like getting on one of those 70 pound beasts in Amsterdam. Helmet? Bib tights? Nope, just good times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2 new bikes in the past 10 days...both amazing, neither VSalon worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Kind of like getting on one of those 70 pound beasts in Amsterdam. Helmet? Bib tights? Nope, just good times.
    Exactly. My "helmet" on the beach cruiser has been a wool knit cap. It has been pretty cold here in NJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Laura has an Epic 29er and loves it. And beach cruisers are awesome at the beach... I never thought I'd own a surly but the snow bike changed that.

Have fun riding.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike shops in Virginia Beach (where I sort of half resided for a couple years and could again) live and die off beach cruiser bikes. They're all over the place there and the beach and boardwalk are full of them. They do look sort of fun for just getting around.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I equate riding the beach cruiser to riding my previously owned Harley Fat Boy. I sit straight up, I ride pretty slowly, I look around at what is going on, and I just enjoy cruising along. I also had a CBR600 F2 back in the day. Very fast, handled well, never really saw anything but what was right in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is always good to have a bike where you dont need special shoes, clothes or even a helmet (oops, did I say that?)

makes it simple that way. and a lot of fun getting back to basics, like wind in your hair (if you still have any) not feeling like you have to be working out.

me? I'm on a trek district belt SS....the one with orange B43s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Stumpjumper FSR. I bought their cheapest model about five years ago and couldn't be happier. Specialized makes a great bike.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on cycling have changed over the years. I've become a huge fan of not always wearing spandex, just sitting up, and riding for the pleasure of riding. So, I can see the enjoyment you get out of riding the beach cruiser.

If you ever see somebody riding a light blue Pereira city bike around the Pennington area... please stop me and say hello. We'll go for a long slow ride up to the one, and only, traffic light in downtown.

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent some time in the hospital last year getting some innards(wade patton talk) removed.My first rides back were on a Schwinn cruiser. So much fun going slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
    My thoughts on cycling have changed over the years. I've become a huge fan of not always wearing spandex, just sitting up, and riding for the pleasure of riding. So, I can see the enjoyment you get out of riding the beach cruiser.

If you ever see somebody riding a light blue Pereira city bike around the Pennington area... please stop me and say hello. We'll go for a long slow ride up to the one, and only, traffic light in downtown.

jeff
    You won't see the beach cruiser in Pennington. That one is at the house in Ventnor. You will see me riding slowly in civilian attire on my red and white Zanconato, just because. It is a real road bike, but I putz around town in regular clothes on it pretty frequently. Definitely flag me down if you see me as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some of the most fun rides i have are on the electra beach cruiser 3spd, coaster brake. flip flops are mandatory, helmet forbidden
    amazing what kind of terrain you can take on the balloon tires, and the spring loaded leather seat is like an easy chair. highly, HIGHLY recommended

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marcelia View Post
    some of the most fun rides i have are on the electra beach cruiser 3spd, coaster brake. flip flops are mandatory, helmet forbidden
    amazing what kind of terrain you can take on the balloon tires, and the spring loaded leather seat is like an easy chair. highly, HIGHLY recommended
    Brooks b135 on mine, weighs like 1.5 moderators.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few years back I did a full restoration of an early '60s Schwinn Typhoon.

Gave it to an old Desi dude who said it reminded him of the bike he used to ride to school back in Gujarat.

He still rides it and loves it. Of the 10 or so customs and restorations I gave away or sold over the years, my best memories are of the few rides I had on the Typhoon ('cept carrying it up the three flights of stairs to my condo - that was one heavy bike).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is where all bikes are all good as long as someone is riding them. I would rather see a beachcruiser beat to hell than a custom frame hanging on the shelf. I like to look at nice lugs and beads as much as the next guy, but bottom line is bikes are made to ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have years in the saddle of a Schwinn Heavy Duty....actually decades..I got my first when I was 12 ( it was a work bike then)...I'm north of 50 now. I can't imagine not having a cruiser.

Never really thought about it, but delivering the paper, a trade that is vanished, learned me some bike handling skills.