Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Speed Campy in '21

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10 Speed Campy in '21

I've got a hankering to build a bike up with 10sp Record/Chorus NOS bits, but how insane is this in 2021? For those of you that still rock this kit, how has it aged over the years versus newer hydro-electric magic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 10 Speed Campy in '21

It still works great and its not an insane desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There really isn't a question here. Do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    It still works great and its not an insane desire.
    Repeat: it still works great and itís not an insane desire.

Caveat: as long as youíre not looking for a rear cog larger than 30 teeth.

Addenda: itís a terrific idea and still looks sharp as hell.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you can’t call yourself a ten speed hero if you’re running 11 or 12 speed, right? Go for it.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

until about 3 years ago I was running 10 speed chorus. my only complaint was that using the thumb levers from the drops was less than ideal but not that bad unless you have small or weak hands. otherwise that Campagnolo chunkiness gives such nice feedback and the levers have a nice feel. I guess price and availability of cassettes would be an issue to factor in. there is no doubt that 10 speed Campag blows the doors off the Shimano offerings, except for the recent Tiagra stuff which I just learned is different from the other old 10s stuff. but Chorus and Tiagra are MILES apart in the cool/nice to use department
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found Campagnolo 10 speed easier to set up than my new Campagnolo 12 speed. My next bike is going to have Campagnolo 10 speed on it, I've saved all my old parts and some extras that will be used for the build, but I'm going with down tube shifters too so very simple.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that youíre not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting ready to build up a new to me frame with 10spd Record. You are not along in this crazy world of ours. Plenty of 10speed cassettes available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planned obsolescence built into the shifters. Will burst into flames sometime in 2021. You'll burn and then crash and then burn some more. Don't do it.

I think someone is selling a Daytona group over across the hall.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It works well enough, but the hoods are not near as comfortable as any modern group. If you are looking for a fun bike to just go ride, it's all good, if you want a performance bike, modern groupsets win out.

I still own two bikes with 10spd Campy, one with carbon record and one with alloy chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a road group, I think C10 is just as relevant today as it was when it was introduced. Shifting is incredibly crisp, and gotta love the positive engagement on the thumb shifters. In terms of weight with a carbon UT crank, performance is as good as anything 11 or 12 speed. Of course you give up a few extra cogs in the back. Some folks like the 10speed Record/Chorus hoods and others prefer the ergonomics of the later Ultrashift hoods. To each their own. Aesthetically, it's the best Campy has ever produced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    For a road group, I think C10 is just as relevant today as it was when it was introduced. Shifting is incredibly crisp, and gotta love the positive engagement on the thumb shifters. In terms of weight with a carbon UT crank, performance is as good as anything 11 or 12 speed. Of course you give up a few extra cogs in the back. Some folks like the 10speed Record/Chorus hoods and others prefer the ergonomics of the later Ultrashift hoods. To each their own. Aesthetically, it's the best Campy has ever produced.
    I was considering going square taper :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought two gruppos when I picked up my Marcelo and still use them: on a Time cross bike and a Nobilette. I wish they made a cassette bigger than 30T, though. Racing Triple? Who races with a triple? But I'd like not to have to cob together a touring setup: DA 10 bar-ends to XTR9 rear mech with XT cassette. At least that is the plan...
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main bike is still C10, with an old Record triple up front. It doesn't work quite as well as C8 but it's still great. The hoods are very comfortable if you have big hands.

I'm currently building a new C12 bike, mostly so I can have something to show at shows but partly because with the new Chorus group I can get almost the range I had on the triple.
    Mark Kelly

maker@lyrebirdcycles.com

lyrebirdcycles.com

The world is analogue, digital is a facsimile therof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Centaur 10 speed with the modern hood levers, why not. Original 10sp record, chorus levers ? Look great but not nearly as comfortable as the generation after. I'd pass. But I'd never really liked the terrible alu/carbon mismatch of the chorus and record 10sp groups. In term of aesthetics, the full silver chorus 9 looked waaaaaaay better.

chorus 9

Bottom line: Full carbon or carbon + black ano or full silver anodized aluminium. Carbon + silver ano is ugly as hell.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbon does not conduct cold.

Reason enough to use carbon levers.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be the only one who preferred the original 10-speed shifter shape. I got Record 10-speed early on and loved it. It was revolutionary and rode the stuff for years, never upgrading to 11-speed but getting some of the new-shape Centaur levers, which I felt were OK but not as great as the hype. Additionally, I felt they didn't shift as nicely even though the internals were supposedly the same.

Campagnolo 10-speed was great stuff. But I for one have moved on and am not nostalgic for that groupset. My Shimano 11-speed simply works better. No Shimano vs Campagnolo blather here but I made the switch and have been a happy user for years.

That said, scratch that itch. It should work as well as it did 20 years ago when it was on the market.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still on Campy 10s here, and I just got my first official Campy 10s chain for it.
    10s era stuff is more open source as it were, instead of Deere/Apple/Shimano lockin style.
    If you are running non-standard cranks, Campy's power ratchet
    front shifting is the way to go. IRD make a sub-compact front mech that plays
    well with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a a bike with 10s Daytona, one with 10 Veloce, and one with 11s Chorus levers.

Don't have a problem with the older hood shape. Both styles are very comfortable to me. Don't like the old 8-9s pointy levers.

The 10s Ergopower stuff still works great, it's still plenty of gear options and is completely repairable.

The Veloce doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. The multi-click-upshift isn't my favorite thing, but it shifts well and reliably.

Anyway, 10s is still valid in this day and age. Oh, and it looks really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krooj View Post
    I've got a hankering to build a bike up with 10sp Record/Chorus NOS bits, but how insane is this in 2021? For those of you that still rock this kit, how has it aged over the years versus newer hydro-electric magic?
    Can't speak to hydro-electric but can speak to my experience with a Chorus build circa 2005. She served me fantastically and reliably for the last 16 years. This past weekend, she finally said to me: "I've had enough; please retire me." Retire her I will (gently, lovingly, in a box specially reserved for her). But when it comes to picking her replacement, 12 speed Campy it will be. That is all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast