User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1" Road Fork Replacement Question?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1" Road Fork Replacement Question?

I'm considering while I have the funds that I might replace or purchase some extra forks for my Merlin Extralight's. The current Reynolds Quzo Pro forks are over 15 years old and I'm not so confident in them so I think it would be wise to have a pair ready as there isn't much available in 1" carbon.

So my head angle on the frames is 73.5 degrees, the Columbus Minimal has 45mm fork rake when the recommended is 43mm which my Ouzo Pro's are. Would the extra couple of mm in the rake negatively effect my steering or is it nothing to worry about? My other option was to get some custom made stainless steel fork which I'm more than happy to use as I love the feel of steel.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1" Road Fork Replacement Question?

It probably won't help as the issue is more psychological than technical but my understanding is that carbon do not fatigue like aluminium and there is no reason for it to fail unless you suffered some outstanding crash on it or you stored the bike in direct sunlight for 15 years. In other words, you are the weakest link and under normal road use this fork should survive you.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-10-2020 at 05:37 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't had any crashes on the forks to date and never had been able to find out the life expectancy of carbon forks. I personally prefer the feel of steel forks and carbon steerers make me nervous when it comes to headsets cutting into them and slippage of the compression expander inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a ‘99 Extralight that came with a Look HSC fork. I replaced it last year with a Wound Up. Very satisfied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    So my head angle on the frames is 73.5 degrees, the Columbus Minimal has 45mm fork rake when the recommended is 43mm which my Ouzo Pro's are.
    There'd be a miniscule difference, but you shouldn't be able to really feel it: too may other variables when riding outside.

Also note that the A2C is different: 367mm on the minimal, 372mm on the Reynolds, which would even out the difference in rake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does a 15 year old carbon fork have aluminium dropouts bonded to carbon? If so, I'd carefully examine those areas for fatigue. Otherwise, save the money for a nice steel fork somewhere down the line...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    It probably won't help as the issue is more psychological than technical but my understanding is that carbon do not fatigue like aluminium and there is no reason for it to fail unless you suffered some outstanding crash on it or you stored the bike in direct sunlight for 15 years. In other words, you are the weakest link and under normal road use this fork should survive you.
    I’m totally with this guy. Otherwise Woundup or steel. Or Woundup with a steel steerer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    I’m totally with this guy. Otherwise Woundup or steel. Or Woundup with a steel steerer.
    I'm with both these guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel fork for me thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the style of steel fork I want but I'm not getting any replies to my various email enquiries...

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 4.26.44 pm.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the style of steel fork I want but I'm not getting any replies to my various email enquiries...

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 4.26.44 pm.png
    Is that just an unpainted fork or a stainless steel fork?

Either way, talk to Dave Anderson - Anderson Custom Bicycles

I actually haven't seen much from him on VSalon so I hope he is still building. He makes/made a fork so clean you could eat with it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to contact Dave Anderson via a message on Facebook but have now sent him an email.

The pictured fork above was by Terrafirma Cycles who I have also contacted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The absolute most badass, highest-mileage rider I know is also carbophobic. His go-to fork material is steel, from Independent Fabrication. Have you contacted them?

I think a uncrown fork looks proper on a tig-welded bike.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've sent a few emails so I probably should wait a day or two for any replies.

I agree about unicrown forks. I had a Columbus Genius unicrown fork on my old Olmo, best for I've ever used. I could really feel the difference when out of the saddle climbing, the steel fork felt so much better.

My understanding is that there are very few unicrown fork blades available in light high quality steel these days but I may be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to contact Dave Anderson via a message on Facebook but have now sent him an email.

The pictured fork above was by Terrafirma Cycles who I have also contacted.
    I have an Anderson F/F - Dave is great. I don't remember him being super responsive to emails but he always got back to me. I sent him an (unimportant) email a while back and never heard back. If you find out if he's still building please let us know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My two cents (or mm) on fork offset. My Merlin (a Massachusetts Merlin) came with a 40-mm fork. That’s what was listed for my size in the catalog, I still have it. Rode and raced it for years with 40-mm forks, an aluminum Kinesis and a carbon Time.

Wanted a new fork and was having a hard time finding the 1” steerer and 40-mm offset combo. So I asked Tom Kellogg, who not only recommended the Wound Up fork but told me I wanted a 43-mm offset. I had the temerity to question him, the guy who actually designed the geometry, and told him the spec was 40-mm. He said “Oh yeah, Merlin was trying to minimize SKUs in those days, and use 40-mm forks down to smaller sizes where they jumped to 45-mm.”

So I bought a fork with 43-mm offset.

And the bike felt and handled better. After 15 years of already liking it, I liked it more.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 07-11-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try Steve Hampsten see what he can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    There'd be a miniscule difference, but you shouldn't be able to really feel it: too may other variables when riding outside.

Also note that the A2C is different: 367mm on the minimal, 372mm on the Reynolds, which would even out the difference in rake.
    I'm currently exploring the Columbus Minimal option at the moment...wouldn't wheel flop be a possibility with too much rake and steeper head angle?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm currently exploring the Columbus Minimal option at the moment...wouldn't wheel flop be a possibility with too much rake and steeper head angle?
    Increasing the head angle will reduce wheel flop. Increasing the rake will also reduce the wheel flop factor.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...try#Wheel_Flop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I’m okay moving forward with the Minimal fork then?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast