Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $629 for pedals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default $629 for pedals?

I just received a Performance catalog with the new Speedplay Nanogram pedals for $629.99. Maybe Rapha needs to branch out into components.

Are there any other pedals in this price range?

It seems strange that Performance occasionally includes the most expensive product offered by a vendor. I remember seeing a Brooks saddle that was way above the norm. The Performance customer does not seem like the right target audience.

Here is the Speedplay link.

http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fusea....zero_nanogram
    Last edited by bironi; 04-01-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you go to the speedplay website, i's almost comical to read the descriptions & disclaimers. basically, they say it's a race-day only pedal because everything would wear out otherwise.

so, that means you need an xtra pair of shoes just to hold the carbon fiber cleats--unless you enjoy swapping out cleats all the time.

$600+ for pedals is just plain nuts! then again, so are many things....

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I just received a Performance catalog with the new Speedplay Nanogram pedals on $629.99. Maybe Rapha needs to branch out into components.

Are there any other pedals in this price range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look HM cabon Ti are $499

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...872.229.0.html

Like most things, it's deminishing returns at the high-end.
    Feel free to exercise your value options sub top of the line.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the benefit of something like this is it raises expectations in the customer..
    well i won't spend $630 but i does make $350 more palatable..
    middle priced pedals are now $300+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some would call that marketing genius...

...but my wife would call that a good excuse to throw me & my bike out of the window if i fell for such bait...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$300??????

why spend 1/10 of a top end serotta on a pair of pedals? That's crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true, and it works. I've never spent more than $500 on a set of wheels but I'm thinking about a new pair and the $1000-1500 range seems to be the sweet spot. It would seem outrageous to me to spend that much, but there are enough wheels around $3-5 thousand these days, that the $1000-1500 range seems 'reasonable'. There's no way, based on the way I ride or the amount I ride, to justify spending that much on wheels (when you can still get quality handbuilts for $500 or less). But I'm thinking about it nonetheless. I'm sure I'd feel some qualitative difference in the weight and ride quality, so I can justify it on those grounds if I end up doing it, but its still insane on one level. And I'd never think about it if not for those $3-5,000 wheels out there.

-Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Very true, and it works. I've never spent more than $500 on a set of wheels but I'm thinking about a new pair and the $1000-1500 range seems to be the sweet spot. It would seem outrageous to me to spend that much, but there are enough wheels around $3-5 thousand these days, that the $1000-1500 range seems 'reasonable'. There's no way, based on the way I ride or the amount I ride, to justify spending that much on wheels (when you can still get quality handbuilts for $500 or less). But I'm thinking about it nonetheless. I'm sure I'd feel some qualitative difference in the weight and ride quality, so I can justify it on those grounds if I end up doing it, but its still insane on one level. And I'd never think about it if not for those $3-5,000 wheels out there.

-Ray
    Maybe this bait works for you, but I've been on the sidelines for a long time due to the cost of wheels. I don't compete, and I know you don't either, so I'm not biting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this bait works for you, but I've been on the sidelines for a long time due to the cost of wheels. I don't compete, and I know you don't either, so I'm not biting.
    bironi, doesnt mean you have to..
    nothing wrong with regular hubs and open pro rims, etc...
    nobody yearns for those anymore.

it does redefine the general price points.
    like it or not.
    cool wheels now cost north of $1k... sometimes way north.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's sad that a lot of riders feel like they "need" to spend 10 grand on a bike to show up to a group ride. I just took my Rival equipped cross bike out for an hour of bashing and the stuff is great. The cycling consumer doesn't know how good they have it these days. You can buy a bike that works great and can take the tar getting kicked out of it for cheap money. I'd rather see that than someone not showing up.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely don't compete and I may very well not bite either. But the fact that I'm even considering it has something to do with those wicked expensive wheels being out there on the horizon. I wish it weren't true, I shouldn't admit it, but it is. Kind of like when I finally decided to buy a custom frame from one the masters. I didn't need it. I had a frame I loved the feel of and it had stood the test of time and survived as my favorite no matter how many other production bikes I'd tried. I spent about $1000 on it and probably could have ridden it happily for the rest of my life. But I always sort of wondered what else was possible. So I finally decided to spend about three times what that bike had cost to find out about a custom. Didn't need it, couldn't really justify it, but the new Ottrots and Meivicis and stuff made it seem suddenly something of a value. I pulled the trigger and am forever glad I did. As much as I dug that old frame, the custom put it to shame. So I'm sort of in that same wondering stage with wheels. I've used pretty standard wheels, an old set of Ksyriums being the fanciest I've ever ridden. Its not about making me faster - nothing's gonna make me do that but me and I don't care enough to really try. But despite my lack of aggression on a bike, I seem to be pretty sensitive to the differences in feel of different stuff. I like the feel of light wheels - I live in a hilly area and they make me FEEL like I'm faster than I am and that illusion is really all I'm after - I dig the feel. So now I'm wondering about stuff like Topolinos or maybe the new Shimano tubeless and how they'd change the feel of the bike. And the Lightweights and other $3-5000 wheels make them seem like a decent value.

Stupid, I know. I plead guilty.

-Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm just really cheap, I use Wellgo MG-8 pedals on the Litespeed and the Legend Ti. My cost, $45 at MEC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    it's sad that a lot of riders feel like they "need" to spend 10 grand on a bike to show up to a group ride..
    Respectfully, I don't think it's that simple. Take the proverbial porridge: One man's "too hot" is anther man's "just right".

Anecdotally, I have a few bikes. My two favorites are the Scott CR1 Limited ($$$$$) and the Van Dessel Country Road Bob ($). I love riding them equally, for different reasons. My appetite for one or the other changes from one day to the next, even on identical routes.

So, when I show up to your group ride your first impression of me would range wildly depending on what I rode up on, but that opinion won't be informed by reality. Unless, that is, you strike up a dialogue with me (and I feel like talking).

Generalizing might be convenient, but it doesn't address the reality behind the motivations behind purchase of anything that has a price on it; value viewed differently by different consumers.

Consumers regularly buy products and services they do and do not "need". "Want" fuels a profoundly powerful commerce engine. Some of it rational, some irrational.

Therein lies the beauty of a $630 pedal and a $25 pedal both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am one of the few who really genuinely don't care in the least what bike a rider shows up on, as long as it works and the rider is not an idiot. I want to ride with the rider, not his or her bike. And I stand by my statement that it is sad that rider is bashful about showing up on a group ride if he or she doesn't have the latest and greatest.

And a quick edit/addition. The only "need" in my book is stated above. The bike should be in good working order and be able to survive the ride. A lot of folks probably think I mean a certain "level" of components. That's not the case. I've seen riders take incredibly good care of Sora and it lasts and lasts and lasts. I've seen people who manage to make Record shift like absolute gargabe 800 miles in. Take care of your stuff people. It will last.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am one of the few who really genuinely don't care in the least what bike a rider shows up on, as long as it works and the rider is not an idiot. I want to ride with the rider, not his or her bike. And I stand by my statement that it is sad that rider is bashful about showing up on a group ride if he or she doesn't have the latest and greatest.

And a quick edit/addition. The only "need" in my book is stated above. The bike should be in good working order and be able to survive the ride. A lot of folks probably think I mean a certain "level" of components. That's not the case. I've seen riders take incredibly good care of Sora and it lasts and lasts and lasts. I've seen people who manage to make Record shift like absolute gargabe 800 miles in. Take care of your stuff people. It will last.
    I went on a group "first day of spring" ride recently. It was maybe 40 or so guys and a few gals with mostly high end Treks and the like. Maybe one legend TI. A few Times...Maybe one or two guys on a higher end Giant etc.. maybe even one or two sub higher end Treks etc...

One guy shows up with a backpack, tennis shoes, and a 1970s yellow Le Tour with toe straps etc.. he was wearing a hiking shirt or something. Schwinn rode fine I guess. He rode it. He showed up. He wanted to ride and he did.

I liked him and didn't we didn't exchange a word.

That's what Mike Watt would do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's sad that a lot of riders feel like they "need" to spend 10 grand on a bike to show up to a group ride. I just took my Rival equipped cross bike out for an hour of bashing and the stuff is great. The cycling consumer doesn't know how good they have it these days. You can buy a bike that works great and can take the tar getting kicked out of it for cheap money. I'd rather see that than someone not showing up.
    wait, didn't you say i "need" two bikes for 'cross??

:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    wait, didn't you say i "need" two bikes for 'cross??

:)
    and at least 3 sets of tubular wheels with different treads. :kiss2:
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelinpol View Post
    One guy shows up with a backpack, tennis shoes, and a 1970s yellow Le Tour with toe straps etc...
    I had a similar experience many bikes ago.

I ride Flagstaff regularly (part fitness test, part a perverse attraction to feeling humiliation at the hands of Mother Nature). This particular ride up I was on a brand new Giant TCR Composite. Long gone now.

I remember having decent legs. I pulled past the amphitheater turnoff, where the real inclines begin, still feeling fresh. When I reached the right-turning hairpin, just before the section I affectionately call The Wall, I noticed two guys ahead of me on the road.

Once I got a bit closer I discovered that they looked like they belonged begging on Pearl St. Heavy old shirts. Fatigues. Weird hats. Definitely not familiar with soap or shampoo. Definitely not the customary two-wheel fare I usually experience up there.

Around the 'pin I went, expecting to overtake the two handily. Passed the first rider. Said my customary, Hello. Nothing from him. I was shocked by the poor condition of his ride. In fact, I think I heard it before I saw it.

Then I pulled past the next one. Same get up, bike in the same condition; Both with baskets and "panniers" of sorts. Both tanks.

Onwards and upwards I go. Pretty soon the second guy was on my wheel. Then he's next to me. Huh?!

He's not suffering outwardly at this sudden acceleration, but his bike is creaking like crazy. His partner still behind us going at that methodical pace both were pedaling when I past initially.

We're side by side. This time I just nod my greeting (What does this guy want?). No love for me in return. We go like this for a 10, maybe 20 meters, up the steepest part of Flagstaff. Him not saying a word, not even looking at me. Me grinding it out, totally puzzled.

For all practical purposes, Flagstaff is understood as an out-and-back. I didn't see these guys on my way down. My only explanation, and it's pure speculation, he and his riding parter commute Flagstaff daily (there are a few who do, in fact).

That weird side-by-side he dished out? Must have been a solid "Fuck you in your kit and fuck that plastic bike".

I'll never forget it. Surreal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool story. I wonder if it wasn't just more about being tough than contempt over kit and bikes. Some guys are just tough guys and want to dish it out, even if they just think they are dishing it out.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zank

I have never been on a ride in which I thought anyone cared what someone was riding. That includes multi-class group club rides with over 100 participants. Different priorities and agendas for different cyclists, but absolutely no concern for a rider's bike, as long as it looked safe and rideable. Of course, no one wants to ride with an idiot.

I also think that it is a rare cyclist who feels he needs to show up on a $10,000 bike to do a group ride, contrary to what you suggest. I have never met one of them. Perhaps that is true at the level at which you ride, which I would be confident, is far superior to my level. However, I have met many excellent riders and never perceived that any had a "need" to show up in a $10,000 bike to participate.

Sandy
    Adopt An Animal!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast