User Tag List

Thread: Winter Project: Guitar Amplifiers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Winter Project: Guitar Amplifiers

I built a guitar last winter to keep myself busy while some injuries kept me from building bikes. It turned out to be a pretty great way to engage my brain during the months that the trails are either too wet or too snowy to ride.

The whole project went so well that I've decided to try to make it an annual thing. So this year I've started building a couple of guitar amplifiers. I'm generally terrible with electronics and approach it with extreme caution but there's a great web forum called ampgarage that is a helpful resource when trying to sort through all the little things that aren't exactly obvious.

I actually bought a chassis last March, but it arrived about the same time I could work and ride again and it's taken a back seat for nine months. By the time I got around to starting it back up, I decided to go in a slightly different direction with a different, more complicated amplifier that wouldn't fit into the chassis I purchased. I studied the schematic every night for several weeks and started making a bill of materials. While waiting for parts to arrive, I cut, drilled and installed eyelets in the various circuit boards.

873CC6A9-602F-4AF7-9962-12559A2A18D3.jpg . 25EB49C4-860C-4DC1-B4BD-65E9D90F2875.jpg

The blue circles were supposed to remind me to layout and drill tube access holes before I started soldering in the components
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Project: Guitar Amplifiers

Well...I can't embed anything from Instagram anymore, and my image uploads keep failing so...

needless to say, I forgot to drill the holes, made what seemed like several hundred soldered joints and then went back to cut the holes. Not ideal, but it worked.

It was at this point that I began to struggle to decide whether or not to build this chassis myself, or design it in Solidworks to have someone waterjet (or laser) cut and bend up for me. I ultimately resolved to do it on my own and the project hit the brakes when my buddy (who owns the Diacro brake) started full-on building out a flat tracker for The One Moto Show coming up this weekend. If he finishes the bike by then, it'll be a miracle, but there was no way I was going to interrupt his work flow to bend up an amplifier chassis.

So...

I changed direction again and decided to move forward on the amp for which I already had a chassis. More studying of schematics, more excel spreadsheets making a bill of materials and more scoping out a layout that would work with the circuit boards I already have.

To rewind things a little, it should be said that I'm trying to build a reasonable facsimile of Dumble amplifiers. If you're a guitar nerd, you likely already know about them and that most people aren't able to afford them. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, Joe Bonamassa, and Ben Harper are a few of the people who have used them. The Steel String Singer is the one I'm trying to build from scratch and the OverDrive Special is the more common one that I'm trying to build with a chassis and boards that I purchased. If you're familiar with the SRV album, "The Sky is Crying" he supposedly used a 150 watt Steel String Singer for that.

more later as I sort out my photo problems.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this forum, I think you have to select "Go Advanced" to get to the advanced editing page for a post and the Instagram icon will be in the tool bar above the text posting window. Then go to the Instagram post you want embed here, copy the letter/number code for the post, then click the Instagram icon here and paste that letter/number code between the code bookends. Should work.

So for example, this is the URL in the browser when viewing the specific post:

https://www. instagram. com/p/B8UBiCoJIcG/

The red letters/numbers are the code for the post. Click on the Instagram icon to get the code bookends to appear.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-10-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great project! I've had a lot of homework this week and James May's reassembly of an electric guitar was part of my accompaniment. instruments and sound equipment are fascinating.