Thread: Scout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Scout

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Sounds about right. I'm curious about what kind of mpg gains you can get with the Megasquirt. I've got an old Chrysler with a 2-bbl Stromberg and the Megasquirt might address some of the driveability problems that come with the Stromberg.
    Lumpy, you could find a throttle body to replace the 2bbl and then use the "microsquirt" because the TBI is very simple. But, I'd just go with the Holley Sniper bbl conversion - I hear great things about the snipers. Ready to go for your type of an application. Good luck! Bob
    Bob Spooner
    Departing from
    East Hampton, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So work has started on the Ford. I have let Finn take the lead on this project. We got it dis-assembled and really started taking assessment regarding what needed to be cut out and replaced. Some of the things that looked ok to us, really weren't: those dang farmers just welded new patch panels in over the old rusted metal. Understandable - they weren't interested in restoring the truck, they just wanted to keep the mud out. So we ended up with the need to replace the floors and body mounts front and rear on both sides; replace the lower steps both sides; A-pillar repairs both sides, etc, etc. Still not nearly the mess we were faced with on the Scout.

We were really impressed with the hardware used on this truck. The bolts are all 5/16X fine thread bolts, still mostly in good shape after 60+ years. The sheet metal is stout.

Pulling the cab off the chassis:

IMG_3273.JPG

And there it sits:

IMG_3276.JPG

Cutting stuff out:

IMG_3274.JPG

Rebuilt lower A-pillar:

IMG_3277.JPG

Finn did a really nice job with this - keeping in mind that we are not trying to preserve OEM design. His fabrications skills are improving but also his planning and designing skills are also improving. He/we learned a lot with the Scout and I can see he's putting it into practice here. Not perfect by any means, and he's really just out of newbie stage but I see a progression and that is what I want to see. The lower pillar supports the fender and the lower door hinge, so all of those touch points have to be where they should be. Finn made himself a few jigs to ensure that the locations were accurate.

I have been hammering the worst of the creases out of the fenders with the funny shaped hammers, and that is going ok. We are not aiming on a factory-smooth body like we aimed for with the scout. rather, we are going to leave some of the lumps and bumps and creases in the body. We have been back and forth regarding the finish on the truck and our current thinking is this: Epoxy primer on everything. Then a full coat of light blue. The a full coat of gulf orange. Then sand most of the orange off so that it lies in the low spots. The highest of highs might be sanded down to the gray epoxy. This will give the truck a mottled, work truck kind of look. Except it will be the gulf racing colors. The rooftop will be bright white. We are early on in the process and this could change, but we have spent a lot of time trading ideas. I'd like to get some quarts of the colors and do it on a fender to see how it works out.

Anyway, enjoy the fall. Thanks for looking - Bob&Finn
    Bob Spooner
    Departing from
    East Hampton, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy!
    Jorn Ake