Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Kevin's Sourdough ::

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kevin's Sourdough ::

I've found that stiff starter is a bit easier for me to manage and the bread outcome has been very good. It didn't happen without photos so here are some exciting shots of flour and water turned into yeast...ymmv of course.

Photo one is of the first feeding of 227g of liquid starter discard and 113g of all purpose flour. Hand mix and shape into a ball and place in a lightly oiled container...let rise 8-10 hours until it doubles. I let it rise in the oven with the oven turned off of course. Especially in the Winter, the closed environment of the oven contributes to a stable temperature. Some choose to leave the oven light on for a warmer temperature and quicker rise.

Photos 2/3 are after the stiff starter has risen and it will be reduced for a second feeding of 57g of the stiff starter, 57g of H20 and 113g of all purpose flour. Mix into a ball, place in a lightly oiled container and it will be ready to use in another 8-10 hours. It will eventually look like photos 2/3 again. If you're not going to use it right way, let it rise for only 2 hours and refrigerate. Whatever you don't use for bread, can be used for a number of items such as pizza dough, pancakes and crumpets. The King Arthur website will steer you straight with some methodology and recipes.

Stiff Sourdough Starter Recipe | King Arthur Flour
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't give up on me. I'm barely just barely able to force myself to read "directions" when it comes to cooking. Old habits die hard. This is going to be my approach, don't hate me.
    Tall Central Authority has spoken. My plain white bread is great for toast otherwise not very interesting. Hoping to expand my horizons gently to making more interesting bread without getting too involved.

Sourdough mother (4 tablespoons) into warm water (3 1/2 cups) until I see some action than added to:
    3 cups KA bread flour
    2 cups KA whole wheat
    1 cup rye
    This is what it looks like after 6 hrs. and getting punched down twice. I'll let it sit overnight at room temp and bake it off tomorrow.
    d1.jpg
    d2.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 3 Days Ago at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donít forget the salt this time.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remembered the salt ;)
    Pucker up. This turned out not so bad. It is definitely sourdough, very crunchy crust. Had to wrestle it out of the pan. I'm pretty happy, thinking I need to reduce the water ratio some. What I liked was the play between rye and whole wheat and the crust will be a hit with Mrs. TT. This was a very wet dough.

sd1.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 2 Days Ago at 12:12 PM.