Thread: VSalonistas Pets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New V salon member

Beautiful pup.
    We met a rescue this morning on our walk about her size and shape- some kind of cattle dog/ Great Pyrenees mix, so she'll probably be a super smart, huge dog one day.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New V salon member

Thanks for the advice. We were able to go about 4 months without a dog after our last one passed away. My wife finally said enough and so we have Grace in our life. Grace will have a dog bed in the bedroom but I would like to be able to put her in the crate while we are gone for short time away. They're good in the crate for the weekend right? That's what we did with the grandkids when they were small. :)

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VSalonistas Pets

We had advice from a professional trainer for Bob and it was money well spent. In fact we had advice from two professional trainers and the first one was a waste of money but the second one was great and we have asked her advice again for Bonnie.

I think it is important that the crate is regarded as a positive place and never a place of punishment. Even if it is used to control unruly behaviour the dog should be rewarded for going in.

Bob can now be left loose in the house on his own and never damages anything, to the extent that about 6 months ago we removed his crate as unnecessary. He was clearly unhappy so now the crate is back and Bob uses it as a refuge even though the door is open most of the time.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    We had advice from a professional trainer for Bob and it was money well spent. In fact we had advice from two professional trainers and the first one was a waste of money but the second one was great and we have asked her advice again for Bonnie.

I think it is important that the crate is regarded as a positive place and never a place of punishment. Even if it is used to control unruly behaviour the dog should be rewarded for going in.

Bob can now be left loose in the house on his own and never damages anything, to the extent that about 6 months ago we removed his crate as unnecessary. He was clearly unhappy so now the crate is back and Bob uses it as a refuge even though the door is open most of the time.

Good luck!
    My folks never had a crate, always shut the dog in the bathroom, she never chewed anything. I don't trust my devil dogs unsupervised, seems they always find something. I've heard too many stories of dogs getting into something dangerous, or getting their head stuck in a bag, etc. For my peace of mind and their safety they go in the kennel when we're not home.

Like your pup, you'll find them sleeping in their kennels frequently by choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a stack of two crates in the kitchen for most of my years growing up. The brittany had to top crate and the lab the lower one. They were their general hangouts and evening beds. When we had guests who were not dog fans they went in to be restrained with the simple command "kennel-up". We had a second set in the back of the van that was their seat during road trips and hotel stays. Easy on the dogs, easy on the people.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our corgi loved her crate. I caught her dragging one of my adidas slides in there to hide it for leisure chewing.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0BBE1441-8841-4D70-8825-A0560C7D6092.jpg

I think she has figured it out.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great looking pup Mike! Enjoy!
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of Bob and Bonnie. This is play fighting, really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick glimpse of Nikki when he was a mere 3 months. Excuse the butt shot...., he was so young. Now at a robust 6 years old, he's far more discrete re such things, ya know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cute kitten! Bengal?
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Cute kitten! Bengal?
    Oriental short hair.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks as though Bonnie will grow up to have upright ears which I have decided I rather like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's cute. Reminds me a bit of the way the cartoonist George Booth draws his dog in his New Yorker cartoons, though he has an Australian shepherd not a border collie.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best friends

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6594E2AD-575B-4511-AC4B-751C1CBA3D5A.jpg

I realized I hadn’t poste any new pictures of the puppy. This is Gracie “getting to know” the cat. The cat will let her tug on her for a minute or two and then swat her away.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rufus turned 2-years old on Friday:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips from the salon on helping a kid get over his fear of a dog? Or at least working through it a little bit more?

9 year old boy, 10.5 month old 55 lb puppy. He rides in the car ok with the pup and generally does pretty well outside - but inside he is terrified of the dog. Freezes up, won't walk past him and generally wants to hide up in his room when the puppy is out.

I'm hoping it will get better as pup becomes older and a little less unpredictable and jumpy - but part of the reason we got a family dog was to engage the kids more - and in my son's case it has sort of backfired so far.

Any tips or experience would be great. It's heartbreaking to see this animal that he really loves also scare him so much - but I don't really want to force things and would like to find some sort of organic way for them to bond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s always a source of the anxiety right? So figuring out what is the actual trigger is key. Might not be immediately obvious and may only have to do with the puppy only as a device. Can even be a misconception of what happened in a particular event and has now gotten fixed in place. Can also be the initial reaction was actual fear and then subsequent acting out was a way to receive attention and become a center of attention once again after feeling slightly displaced by the puppy in the family dynamic. The fear at this point may not be real but a form of scaring himself to protect himself from whatever obstacle is truly creating anxiety.

On the other hand, A 55lb puppy is like a 55lb sack of potatoes that moves chaotically and doesn’t know when to stop. Depending on the adventurousness of your son without the puppy - his sensibilities, his build and body confidence - he could easily feel this is a situation he just isn’t convinced is all that safe. How much does a 9 year old weigh? You might be able to find tasks for your boy that would involve him in contact with the puppy but under more controlled conditions. Obedience training classes?

But whatever the case, time will be your friend. The boy will get bigger and the dog will learn better behavior. No pressure.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mattie jump.jpgmattie jump 2.jpg

Daughter came training with us and snapped some decent phone pics.