to trucks how old is dizzy?

this is my housemate's doofus-dog:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VSalonistas Pets

dizzy is a year to a year and a half probably. i just got her about two months ago.
    she only 33 lbs and probably not getting much heavier at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    dog party at my crib. Yes, that is a yeti in the background.
    Cody,

The greyhounds - retired racers? I grew up with a retired greyhound - wonderful, beautiful dogs. Lots of exercise required. I can imagine three keep you more than busy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Cody,

The greyhounds - retired racers? I grew up with a retired greyhound - wonderful, beautiful dogs. Lots of exercise required. I can imagine three keep you more than busy.

Your retired greyhound required lots of energy? If I go on a long walk with mine I practically have to carry her home. And then she sleeps all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@EddieBirdsell- Only two are mine. One lives up the hill from us and comes over for the day once or twice a week while his owners are at work (I work from home right now). I've had three for a period, first with a friends dog, then with a foster, and its a handful. Two (permanent) dogs are plenty, threes a crowd. Well, threes a crowd when you have a 600ish sq. ft. condo that also has two humans living in it. The Yeti (Deerhound, in the background) was visiting for a week. Walking with four is comical, and little ground is covered.

@cantdog - one of mine could walk forever, the other has his fill after an hour. But my girl could walk forever. She's 9, and hasn't calmed down yet. At. all.

And here is my PSA on greyhounds:

first off, if your looking for a dog, interested, and live around D.C., there is a standing offer to come visit mine. They are really great dogs, and there are a ton of them looking for homes all across the U.S.. Long story short, they use to come to an untimely end when their careers were over, but now most tracks place them into foster homes when they are done. This is a mandatory step at most tracks, but some will say that many still get killed every year (there is a difference in how many are estimated to be born, and how many matriculate to the track and are retired out). Almost all greyhounds fall into three categories: 1. retired racers, like mine, 2. show dogs, and 3. "oops" puppies. Puppies are rare, since basically all are raced at some level. but, I do know of one puppy who never raced 'cause he was too lazy.

Greyhounds race at different levels, at at differing levels of competitiveness. Some tracks are faster than others, and there is a D-A system to racing. Go fast in a D race, get upgraded. Once a dog reaches its peak, it slides down the scale (as it fails to place/win), grades off, and retired. At this point, the dog goes to a foster group. Some groups (like Greyhound Pets of America- Daytona) serve as a clearing house for the dogs. The group I'm involved with gets dogs from Florida once or twice a month. They have a special trailer they drive them in.

The dogs themselves can change dramatically once they are in a home, and change for the better. Many of the dogs have not had any sort of affection, since for better or worse, they are a commodity. Some farms are better than others, obviously, so you get a range of "normal" dog behavior, like my female, to scared of humans in all forms. My girl was a brood mom, and was loved on her farm and it shows. The tan guy in the picture above is sketched out by dudes at this point. Who knows what happened. But all of this changes over time as the dogs learn to trust you, and you learn how to take care of a grey's needs and idiosyncratic behavior.

The dogs themselves are much more "cat-like" than other dogs. They all have distinct personalities and are easy to care for. they need about an hour of walking a day, sleep around 18 hours a day, and you need to watch their weight closely. On the track they are super lean and need to fatten up some when they become a pet, but you cannot let them get too heavy. too heavy and they'll have alot of problems. the right weight and they have a long life expectancy and few of the "big dog" problems, like hip-displacia (SP).

they are wonderful and unique dogs, and if you are looking to adopt a dog I suggest giving them a shot. If anyone has a question, feel free to PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gracie, the hound who followed us home. She may have been a fireworks refugee as our county has very slack fireworks law enforcement around the 4th, and we found her/she found us starving and filthy early one August. Makes a great doorbell as her howl incites our mini poodle into doing his coyote imitation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is kozmo....part husky, great mtb dog ...not too good at much else !!
    (sorry for the pic size)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bout to turn 180* and haul ass after the ball i just threw.

curled up in pitball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
    this is kozmo....part husky, great mtb dog ...not too good at much else !!
    How does it go taking the dog mountain biking with you? Do you just let him run along side you? How long does he last?

My pup is still too small to do much running (growth plates and all that), but it would be cool if he could come with in the woods next year. I have some quiet trails I could hit in the middle of the week not far from me and I probably wouldn't see anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cats, both about 2 years old. The black cross-eyed one is Bartok and the other one is Picasso aka Pico. Bartok loves climbing over my bikes while I work on them. We got them from the local no-kill shelter. I was a bit worried about having two males but they get along really well and go on neighborhood adventures together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default language barrier

I never miss a chance to show off my first love.

Rosa is nearing 18 and I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Her Mom was my sister's cat and she died about a year ago, so she's got good genes (I am knocking on wood right now).

So I am figuring out French as I am now living in Switzerland. I impress anglophones with my French, but francophones know differently (right, George?).

I needed to have my veterinary clinic trim knots out of my beautiful Main Coon's coat, as I have never had the stomache to do it myself (it is a serious battle that ends up with me covered in scratches and bites). So I tell them to go all out and shave her. I drop her off and 15 minutes later I get a call to confirm that indeed, I want her shaved.

Now I guess it isn't that I didn't understand what they said, but that I wasn't explicit enough in saying, "yes, shave her entire body so that her hair is all about 2cm long"

I go to pick her up and holy shit, my baby is bald! Poor thing was looking very demoralized and disturbed by how naked she felt.

My breastfeeding wife cringed when she saw Rosa's saggy old boobs and she worries that this is what she is going to look like when teh breastfeeding is all over - ha ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roo being a good cattle dog herding me toward the altar at the wedding,and then showing the way to the food,booze and dancing at the end of the ceromony.
    -Eric and Tamara and Roo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    How does it go taking the dog mountain biking with you? Do you just let him run along side you? How long does he last?

My pup is still too small to do much running (growth plates and all that), but it would be cool if he could come with in the woods next year. I have some quiet trails I could hit in the middle of the week not far from me and I probably wouldn't see anyone else.
    Did you happen to see the article on sled dogs a couple months back in Outside magazine? Check it out it's completely amazing the capacity they have. My golden when he was 3 went for a 20 mile mountain bike ride with me when it was about -10 out one time. When it was finally time to stop (because I was completely frozen) you could just tell he was bummed because he wanted to keep running!

Yes goldens make great mtb bike dogs, but beware of overheating. A nice day to you is like being in an oven for your furry friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sully is a standard poodle. They are one of the brightest dogs known to man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmermanbicycle View Post
    Roo being a good cattle dog herding me toward the altar at the wedding,and then showing the way to the food,booze and dancing at the end of the ceromony.
    -Eric and Tamara and Roo
    I love these shots.

John
    "Ain't it like most people, I'm no different, love to talk on things we don't know about." The Avett Brothers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coda loves to climb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We sweep the floors twice most days now.
    IMG_0534.jpg photo-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delilah: dog in a cat suit.

/Andy A

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sully at 1 1/2 yrs. and second day learning to fetch in the ocean. He ain't no Labrador thus the life vest. He's doing great and is getting stronger each time. haha you really don't see alot of Std. Poodles at the beach. The Labradors are made for this and are just amazing.