Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trek

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trek

Trek isn't a marque that gets much positive attention around here but this one's almost 30 years old and probably the most attractive bike the company has ever made. This '82 730 was my dad's from about '83 until just a few days ago when it arrived in the mail. I spent a fair amount of time as a kid in our backyard with my dad as he polished the bike, glued up tubulars, etc. and so lots of fond memories arrived along with everything else in the box. The bike was garaged for a few years leaving everything dusty and a few of the steel bits have some superficial rust but with a minimal amount of work and money it will look and hopefully ride great again.

The 730 was available as a frameset and was one of Treks nicer bikes and had Campy dropouts and top of BB cable guides along with a Cinelli BB shell. Looking at the bike now, it's pretty obviously a production frame as there are a few little detail issues and the paint quality actually isn't as good as my wife's cheap-ish, '83 Trek Elance but I think the color combo and single ST panel looks super classy.

My dad built this up with an almost complete Suntour Superbe Pro group (incl. pedals and headset) with the exceptions of the FD (Shimano 600) and shifters (Huret - Jubilee?). The stem (TTT) is short because this bike never fit my dad well and we'll see if I can make friends with the handlebars. Hubs are Chorus and I have no idea what the rims are except that they're Campy something or others - these ones are clinchers; he still has the tubulars at home in Dettroit.

All of the bearings are still smooth but I need to re-cable the bike, get some better tires on it, locate some new brake pads, and maybe some new hoods. I plan on leaving everything just like he built it with the exception of the stem and possible the bars...gotta ride 'em before making that decision.

Sorry (as per usual) for the crummy photos; my cell phone camera is better than my actual camera which leaves you with what I have here, picture-wise. Once I get the bike sorted out I'll try to post better pics. Hopefully someone will enjoy this in the meantime...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trek

Very lovely. Trek may have sold it's soul to carbon fibre and Asia, but this is a fine example of what they were capable of doing with steel in America.
    Lache pas la patate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool bike, even cooler that it was your dads
    Falling from high places, falling through lost spaces,
    Now that we're lonely, now that there's nowhere to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! My dad actually had another one his proper size that he built up with Super Record stuff that was being closed out at Nashbar. That was back when Nashbar's catalogs had drawings instead of photos :-) Unfortunately he rode that bike less than 100 miles before getting hit by a car while riding around the block with my mom. The frame was totaled and a bunch of the parts were scraped up or outright ruined. I still have a bunch of the stuff in original boxes and a few of the components are still useable in almost NOS condition. Unfortunately the crankset's drive side crankarm is tweaked...maybe I can make it into a clock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it! One of my favorite bikes is an old Reynolds 531 Trek. Great ride, thanks for sharing it with us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually bought the first Trek to come to Michigan in 1979, they only sold frames at that point, it was to big for me bought kept it anyway, later I traded for a smaller Trek frame. You new/old bike looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DRTalsma View Post
    I actually bought the first Trek to come to Michigan in 1979, they only sold frames at that point, it was to big for me bought kept it anyway, later I traded for a smaller Trek frame. You new/old bike looks great.
    Out of curiosity what shop did you buy the frame from? Someplace in the Detroit area or closer to Swartz Creek/Flint? If it was closer to Detroit I may know the shop and this little project has put me in the mood to reminisce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a 400 as my first road bike, followed by a 560 that I raced for a while and rode a lot longer. I'll always have a soft spot for old steel Treks--the old logo and seat tube font really work for me. Glad you're putting this one back on the road.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the frame at Wooden Horse bikes in Grand Blanc, Mi (long closed), from a guy named Gary, who I felt ripped me off. He looked at me and said I need a 25-1/2", I really needed a 23-1/2". The frame came in and I knew it was too big, but he would not take it back since it was a custom order. I do know where my second smaller Trek is, and my try to get it back, mostly to reminisce also. Oh and the original frame was dark blue, with Ishawa tubing and touring geometry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a couple of 1984 vintage and mint Treks: A 660 and a 760. They were all original (I still have the build kits from them) but the sizing was a bit off for what I am used to, so I sold the frames. Those Reynolds 531 frames rode great. Just the right about of stiffness.

My first Trek was a 1986 850 mountain bike in hot pink/white fade. I love that bike and rode it everywhere. I traded it for a road bike way back and always regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - the sizing is weird on this one too. After a little investigating I found out that this is what Trek called a 58cm. The seat tube measures 56.5cm and the top tube is 57.5cm. I generally ride a 56 but the seatpost is up a little too far to look just right on this bike and the brake hoods end up being waay too low for me with a normal stem and the old style bars. I just got a Nitto Technomic Deluxe which sort of kills the aesthetics of the bike but will make it useable. I may just throw some townie bars on it which will probably look better and I may end up riding the bike more. If it didn't belong to my dad I'd probably give it up as the fit just feels too weird.

Quote Originally Posted by bigflax925 View Post
    I had a couple of 1984 vintage and mint Treks: A 660 and a 760. They were all original (I still have the build kits from them) but the sizing was a bit off for what I am used to, so I sold the frames. Those Reynolds 531 frames rode great. Just the right about of stiffness.

My first Trek was a 1986 850 mountain bike in hot pink/white fade. I love that bike and rode it everywhere. I traded it for a road bike way back and always regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun, I was just thinking about a Trek like this. Had a college buddy that had one (same color and all) and always thought it was pretty cool. If I could find one like this, I'd buy it...I have just the parts to build one up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great bike. I also have a thing for old Treks. The first road bike that I remember is my Dad's 85ish Trek 600. He still has it and rides occasionaly to this day. These old Treks really are nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's mine.

got as complete off ebay a couple years ago, and stripped to f+f and built up. mostly used to haul a kid trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine. Purchased in 1983 from Albrecht's Cycle in Sioux City, IA when I was 14 with money earned delivering the Des Moines Register, sold to a college friend in 1989 to buy something racier. Reclaimed in 2004 after hearing that it was hanging in a garage in Salt Lake City unridden. It was ridden as my main commuter from 2004-2010, when it got semi-retired. Still have it. Love the old 531 ride. The photo is after refurbishing and upgrading a few parts upon reclamation in 2004. A few parts have been replaced since the photo was taken, but basically the same appearance. Original brakes, saddle, post, shifters, headset in this photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snekky & John - nice to see that these are still getting ridden even if only sporadically or to haul kids. Mine's still getting sorted out...trying to figure out what townie bars will look right and fit well. Might be going with the Soma Noah's Arc bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My '82 957.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=BlueDevil63;373540]My '82 957.]

I commute daily on what just may be that very bike, but black. Same panels and grupo. I even have the original saddle in a box somewhere around here. Had no idea what year or model it was, and while its in excellent condition its in nowhere near the shape yours is in. I'll have to post some pictures when it stops raining here.

Oh, I was asked the other day if my bike was antique. Ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a repaint. Original 950/957/959 was white with blue head tube and blue panels with white lettering.

[QUOTE=Britishbane;373578]
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil63 View Post
    My '82 957.]

I commute daily on what just may be that very bike, but black. Same panels and grupo. I even have the original saddle in a box somewhere around here. Had no idea what year or model it was, and while its in excellent condition its in nowhere near the shape yours is in. I'll have to post some pictures when it stops raining here.

Oh, I was asked the other day if my bike was antique. Ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default '82 730 Update

Here's a woefully bad pic of my updated 1982 730 - formerly my dad's. The top tube is about 1-1.5cm too long for me so in an effort to make the bike rideable I had it set up with some Nitto Dove bars for a kind of cafe cruiser type thing. I hated it. I ended up putting some short reach drops (Soma Highway 1) and some modern Shimano aero levers on the bike and slammed the stem (Technomic) down all the way to end up with bars and hoods pretty much where they ought to be without looking too bad...and much better than the Nitto bars. I rode the bike a little over 50 miles this weekend and had a blast doing it. Aside from the downtube shifters the bike doesn't feel all that retro from the saddle.

Trek Side With New Drops.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast