I'm *really* enjoying this bike:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trek

A random experiment last night could prove expensive:

Those are 32mm Grand Bois Cypres tyres on my *rim brake* Domane. With room to spare.

Why expensive? It means I now want to spend the circa $250 it'll cost me to change the tyres to the Compass equivalent (Stampede Pass) - which is all folly, really, as that's mainly a psychological thing to do with the Compass being circa 50g per tyre lighter; and because this Domane was supposed to be becoming lighter, not heavier.

The other issue it presents is that I now know my disc brake Domane will accept 35mm rubber. Consequently, I now also want to get the Compass Jon Bons to set that up with those on my Hunt wheels in a tubeless format. That's $500 on tyres. Ugh.

All of this stems from the fact that the Domane frame seems to transform on bigger rubber; and more so than other bikes I have experienced. On 28c tyres, the bike feels quite firm and racey. Switch the rubber to 30 or 32 and it still feels like a race bike, but the road buzz seems to almost totally disappear. It becomes like a Ford Mustang GT on 32s Vs a Shelby Super Snake on 28s and smaller. By comparison, the Eriksen I had didn't feel much different on 25c tyres than it did on 32s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    A random experiment last night could prove expensive:

Those are 32mm Grand Bois Cypres tyres on my *rim brake* Domane. With room to spare.

Why expensive? It means I now want to spend the circa $250 it'll cost me to change the tyres to the Compass equivalent (Stampede Pass) - which is all folly, really, as that's mainly a psychological thing to do with the Compass being circa 50g per tyre lighter; and because this Domane was supposed to be becoming lighter, not heavier.

The other issue it presents is that I now know my disc brake Domane will accept 35mm rubber. Consequently, I now also want to get the Compass Jon Bons to set that up with those on my Hunt wheels in a tubeless format. That's $500 on tyres. Ugh.

All of this stems from the fact that the Domane frame seems to transform on bigger rubber; and more so than other bikes I have experienced. On 28c tyres, the bike feels quite firm and racey. Switch the rubber to 30 or 32 and it still feels like a race bike, but the road buzz seems to almost totally disappear. It becomes like a Ford Mustang GT on 32s Vs a Shelby Super Snake on 28s and smaller. By comparison, the Eriksen I had didn't feel much different on 25c tyres than it did on 32s.
    Based on your posts, I really want to test ride one of these. There's a frame in my size marked way down here locally. I would likely build it up Chorus 11, but still, you have really made this sound appealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lugsnut View Post
    Based on your posts, I really want to test ride one of these. There's a frame in my size marked way down here locally. I would likely build it up Chorus 11, but still, you have really made this sound appealing.
    Until I damaged my back I wouldn't have gone near one previously, just because it was a Trek. I've been lucky in that my back has recovered, but I now have 2 of these (one rim brake, one disc brake) and I'm not in any hurry to get rid of either one. Great bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why expensive? It means I now want to spend the circa $250 it'll cost me to change the tyres to the Compass equivalent (Stampede Pass)
    Cypres Extra léger will be lighter than the Compasses, and almost half the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    Cypres Extra léger will be lighter than the Compasses, and almost half the price.
    Will be hard to get in Aus., and the Compass probably won’t be any more pricey once I’ve paid GST and import duties; but I’ll check them out regardless, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more pricey
    36$ -> *GRAND BOIS* cypres 7c

No ELs in stock currently, maybe directly via Grand Bois? Shipping from Bluelug is reasonable BTW, and free if you buy a TShirt or Fairweather bag currently ;D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234