Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Tonewood Project: Lyrebird Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Tonewood Project: Lyrebird Cycles

Looks lovely Rich. Look forward to your thoughts on eTap...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Yes, that does look really good... There's a lot to be said for the clean lines of losing a couple of cable runs.

It still makes we double take when I first see a picture of an eTap bike, the mind instantly tells you there is something not normal about the picture... like when something has been obviously photoshop'd out of an image...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The etap works well on this bike because the frame's lines are sharper due to the lack of cables.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back and branded:

Been smiling to myself pulling this back together. I *really* wish more of you could see these in the flesh - they're just awesome.

To top it off, I've been riding a bike lately that I thought was pretty good - like, up there in my top 5. That was put well and truly in the shade when I gave this a quick blast up the street to check it was properly put together and ready to rock. It's just so planted and spritely.

The Tune stuff is back on, mainly because I'll be getting new shots done for the features now that this has got Mark's branding on it. However, I am also hoping that the issues I had with the Tune stuff are behind me as the cranks got replaced and I've had some advice about preventing the seatpost from doing what it was doing before. Fingers crossed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Back and branded:

Been smiling to myself pulling this back together. I *really* wish more of you could see these in the flesh - they're just awesome.

To top it off, I've been riding a bike lately that I thought was pretty good - like, up there in my top 5. That was put well and truly in the shade when I gave this a quick blast up the street to check it was properly put together and ready to rock. It's just so planted and spritely.

The Tune stuff is back on, mainly because I'll be getting new shots done for the features now that this has got Mark's branding on it. However, I am also hoping that the issues I had with the Tune stuff are behind me as the cranks got replaced and I've had some advice about preventing the seatpost from doing what it was doing before. Fingers crossed...

Looks good - I'd like to see this with a fine spattering of dust / dirt , less clean and shiny with a bit of patina.
    Do you know what the wood will look like over time? Change in colour / fading etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmuthariley View Post
    Looks good - I'd like to see this with a fine spattering of dust / dirt , less clean and shiny with a bit of patina.
    It gets that way - it just gets a wipe-down straight after.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmuthariley View Post
    Do you know what the wood will look like over time? Change in colour / fading etc?
    #1 has been hung up for a while in my garage - it's done nothing but get a bit dusty.

To be honest, the finish is so good I'd want to just keep treating it with Tung Oil as Mark does 'out of the box'. I'm not sure why you'd want one of these any other way.

I'll leave Mark to comment on what might happen longer term if left untreated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as the finish is maintained (which involves rubbing it over with a bit of tung oil and buffing it in every six months or so) you can expect the following changes over time. Practical experience is limited to three years, if you want a longer time frame ask me again in 2020:

The pale stripes are E regnans which will yellow a bit over time, going from a pale ash towards a golden oak colour.

The reddish wood on the sides is E grandis which changes tone a bit, going from pinkish towards auburn.

The wood used on the medial faces of the main tubes is A melanoxylon which appears to be remarkably stable: this is good becasue it's quite pretty; you can't see it in the pics but this wood has superb lustre. If you are familiar with Koa used in fine instruments you'll know the level of lustre, this is a close relative.

The other woods are basically shades of brown, all of which darken a little over time. This is less noticeable the darker the wood was at the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like graceful ageing. If it wasn't treated with the oil would it be susceptible to water damage / warping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I think they age quite nicely and develop a certain patina: one of the problems I had with the re-finishing of Rich's frame was that I didn't think the new areas looked as good as the old ones.

By "if it wasn't treated with oil" do you mean if it wasn't finished in the first place or if it was finished then left without periodic retreating?

If the former, yes it would degrade quite quickly, sunlight and rain aren't friendly to bare wood.

If the latter, it would accelerate the aging, not absolutely certain how quickly. I doubt you'd notice much difference for a couple of years but after that the surface fibres would start to lift.

One of the major reasons for using tung is that it impregnates the surface to a considerable depth and it's pretty tough and weather resistant: legendarily the great wall of China was largley mud brick waterproofed with tung up until fired clay bricks became more available in the Ming dynasty. My first frame was finished with 3 coats of marine grade epoxy and 2 coats of marine grade 2k poluyurethane, the tung is more durable (and looks better to boot).

Re-oiling and rubbing back isn't terribly onerous and is pretty easy to incorporate into routine maintenance. Basically I say to people if they're not prepared to look after it, don't buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the branding/decals or whatever they are.......understated looking.... remind me of triang model railways for some reason.
    I like the juxtaposition of the classic looking frame with the contemporary tune gear.

Oh dear.....I think I'm over fetishising A tad....
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    I like the branding/decals or whatever they are.......understated looking.... remind me of triang model railways for some reason.
    I like the juxtaposition of the classic looking frame with the contemporary tune gear.

Oh dear.....I think I'm over fetishising A tad....
    You sound like Kevin McLeod. The only person I've ever heard use the word moreover on TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Yes, Chooey did a fantastic job. The understatement is very deliberate, they were based on a WW1 honour board:

Attachment 90253

The name at the top is that of the commander in chief of Australian forces in WW1, also coincidentally the signatory to my grandfather's Military Medal citation.
    More info in my SO thread

I had Hornby HO as a kid, from before the takeover by Tri-Ang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike is visually stunning. This is wonderful to also hear your ride impressions. Mark is doing things nobody thought possible. Specifically, tuning the ride quality to such a fine degrees is compelling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glamour shots were finally taken today...

*rubs thighs*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic close up Rich. Love the detail in the wood - truly spectacular!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't take the credit - this is Adam's photography. Having shot *a lot* of bikes, it's fair to say he knows what he's doing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I can't take the credit - this is Adam's photography. Having shot *a lot* of bikes, it's fair to say he knows what he's doing!
    See: A Bird In The Hand: Lyrebird Cycles 'The Tonewood Project' II | Cycle EXIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapid fundraising requirement + a mate chasing a Di2 setup = quick sale & inevitable Lyrebird eTap switcheroo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change of cranks, and back to the Fizik stuff now that the pics are done (although the Tune stuff was less problematic this time around):

Nice as it was to have fancy Tune parts, it feel so much better to have less delicate stuff on it again.

Think it's finally time for the Fizik 00 post...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great looking bike rich, really great!
    Savine Cycles
    savinecycles on Instagram