Thread: The Tonewood Project: Lyrebird Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Tonewood Project: Lyrebird Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    The one that Mark is currently finishing off for me has a 44mm HT.
    See:

Build time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive really I mean it !
    All the small details + the overall aspect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build time...
    ...which took no time:

It's only thrown together for now to check all is well.

It will be having a photoshoot soon for a couple of websites where it will be dripping in even more Tune stuff as a plug for the local distributor. It will also be getting brown brake cable outer and bar tape, and the Di2 junction box and D-Fly box currently under the BarFly will both be hidden away somewhere somehow.

After that, the Tune cranks will make way for my Turn Zayantes and the Tune stem and Deda post will probably both make way for Fizik items - I am currently a big fan of those and I want to try the new 00 post.

I'm not keen on the look of the Columbus Grammy fork either, so I might find an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite like the Grammy. On the other hand I think the "foil" extension on the headtube was a mistake which I won't repeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    On the other hand I think the "foil" extension on the headtube was a mistake which I won't repeat.
    I assumed it was functional so I hadn't challenged it! If it was just a visual thing, I agree - it's not my favourite part of the bike.

Was hoping to bust out for a spin this afternoon, but the heavens just opened again. Long(ish) ride tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's both. The gussets were originally taller so the space between the one under the top tube and the one over the down tube was quite small and filling it in seemed like a good idea at the time (the Biggles excuse).

I then decided I hated the gussets so I cut them back as much as possible. If you really hate the "foil" I can change it but not until after vintage. In the meantime I've worked out a different scheme for the tube joints which I'm trialling now, see FNL 358 (I hope).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really hate the "foil" I can change it but not until after vintage.
    It's far from being bad enough to warrant the hassle of changing it, but thank you.

In the meantime I've worked out a different scheme for the tube joints which I'm trialling now, see FNL 358 (I hope).
    Might need to tag it onto FNL 357 - looks like eRichie only started that yesterday (which was surely Wednesday in the US?!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if the first one was a welcome surprise then this one is an absolute delight. It's sure footed, smoother, more comfortable, and plenty stiff enough without any harshness (the first one has a fairly harsh front end), despite the OS HT on this one.

It rides very much like my old R3 (which I listed in my top 3 bikes, alongside the first Lyrebird), but it fits me better and has a lower BB (and a threaded one) which I prefer. I need to get another few rides in as the seat post slipped so I spent most of the ride with the saddle too low, and I popped a spoke so the ride was cut short, but first impressions are delightful, frankly!

Mark is very definitely onto a good thing here, in my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the frame weight on these guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both about 1450 g. I had hoped the second one would be lighter as it has composite chainstays and a Ti BB instead of SS but it came out about the same. That includes the integrated DI2 wiring but it didn't weigh much.

Once I get my fatigue / stiffness tester running I should be able to take some weight out. It will probably be a smallish reduction, maybe to 1250g since I won't use HM or UHM carbon due to fracture risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intriguing, so less than most steel (I think) and ~equivalent to most ti.
    substantially lighter than calfee's bamboo frames or renovo hardwood stuff.
    nice.
    of course new materials always beg the question--why? I know you have solid stuff behind the choice, but cool to see that you're weights are competitive too. makes your argument easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...which took no time:

It will be having a photoshoot soon for a couple of websites where it will be dripping in even more Tune stuff as a plug for the local distributor. It will also be getting brown brake cable outer and bar tape, and the Di2 junction box and D-Fly box currently under the BarFly will both be hidden away somewhere somehow.

After that, the Tune cranks will make way for my Turn Zayantes and the Tune stem and Deda post will probably both make way for Fizik items - I am currently a big fan of those and I want to try the new 00 post.

I'm not keen on the look of the Columbus Grammy fork either, so I might find an alternative.
    My thoughts.... Brown bar tape, brown cables.......nah..... Seems to evoke thoughts of pipe smokers and beards(so maybe on trend then?).
    The head tube is a tad clunky looking but balancing it out is the very elegent rear end.
    Spiff it up with a nice metal head badge and some form of downtube logo to avoid the 6th form woodwork project look and it'll be really cool and different.

Glad you are enjoying the ride.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chooey's lovely headbadge design can be seen top left of this post, I want to do it in gold and silver but I haven't got around to it.

He has also designed a downtube script which I really like but I cannot find anyone who can print the decals for me. I've been told SSSInk can do it but they don't answer my emails.

As above, the headtube was a mistake, it won't be repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    My thoughts.... Brown bar tape, brown cables.......nah..... Seems to evoke thoughts of pipe smokers and beards(so maybe on trend then?).
    Hmmm, perhaps - but the brown cables were expensive (despite only being brake cables) so I'm using them. Besides, I quite like this look (although the brown tape I have is a darker, more chocolatey brown Selle Italia 'Smoo Tape'), and it's sort of intentionally confronting.

The beardo look will be offset by the incoming Mavic CCUs and new Vittoria Graphene tubs anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impetuous Rich appeared in the garage shortly after my last post - chain and steerer now sorted.
    Impetuous Rich, is your rear brake cable really short or is it just a strange angle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bontie View Post
    Impetuous Rich, is your rear brake cable really short or is it just a strange angle?
    It was really short, but I sorted it after that pic as it was making my eyes hurt.

It was originally done on purpose as the cable routing out of the top tube means the cable outer is prone to contacting your leg on the downstroke, which can be a little annoying. Going so short was intended to alleviate this, but I've managed to strike a balance with a longer piece now anyway.

The cable routing on the newer one avoids this completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been back to Mark to sort a slight issue. It arrived back with me today, and it was rebuilt within an hour of being out of the box - I *love* how quickly Di2 builds can be finished!

Oh, and...

I think the "foil" extension on the headtube was a mistake which I won't repeat.
    Mark decided to sort the 'foil', so the head tube now looks much better:

I thought the gumwalls would suit this, but I'm really not digging it. Thankfully I need to sort another wheelset soon so these can live on my 'zetti and I'll put black tyres on whatever wheels I pick up.

It turned out at 7.1kg as pictured. Lots of room for improvement there if I wanted to go lighter too. I'm impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been back to Mark to sort a slight issue. It arrived back with me today, and it was rebuilt within an hour of being out of the box - I *love* how quickly Di2 builds can be finished!

Oh, and...

Mark decided to sort the 'foil', so the head tube now looks much better:

I thought the gumwalls would suit this, but I'm really not digging it. Thankfully I need to sort another wheelset soon so these can live on my 'zetti and I'll put black tyres on whatever wheels I pick up.

It turned out at 7.1kg as pictured. Lots of room for improvement there if I wanted to go lighter too. I'm impressed.
    Looks great.
    Now I'm just being nosey - are you just reviewing / testing the frame or is yours to keep?
    Feel free to not answer this question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really looking a lot sharper..... That head tube has improved the overall look no-end, good job Mark.

eIther dirty the skin walls or switch them for black..... Not sure about the fork either, but if it rides ok......
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmuthariley View Post
    Now I'm just being nosey - are you just reviewing / testing the frame or is yours to keep?
    It's a 'popcorn rental' (I think I have that term right). Basically Mark can ask me to send it back to him at any time (or to a magazine / website to review etc.). Neither of these bikes are 'mine' per se.

I think Mark should send my first one out to others to test so that he can get more feedback. It's one thing that I really like it (when the front end harshness in managed), but other people might pick up on other things. I'd need to keep the parts, and I would want to swap out the Falz fork that's currently on it, but I'd gladly facilitate if anyone wants to chat Mark up about it (it's circa 58 ST x 55 TT x 17 HT with a 79mm BB drop).

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Not sure about the fork either, but if it rides ok......
    Likewise. It does seem to ride ok, but visually it either needs painting (lairy fork, anyone?...) or changing.

I'm already investigating the latter - I like the shape of the newer tapered Easton fork as a change from Enve, but they're not readily available anywhere. Enve are too pricey to justify right now. There's the 3T tapered fork and Deda options too, but I need to see what I can get hold of.