Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Tonewood Project: Lyrebird Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Tonewood Project: Lyrebird Cycles

Needs something fixed, so I canít ride it yet. In the meantime what strikes me is its general elegance.

And itís quite a bit lighter than any other bike I have/have had. Even allowing for the fact it doesnít have a chain on it yet!

D4F4144E-2156-4E51-9598-FEF5EE919F18.jpg

And with cranks on, the B.B. finish all makes perfect sense.

Iíd be hard pressed to come up with a recommendation to improve it, as far as looks go. Iím quietly impressed by that!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the new bike, Colin - very well-proportioned, and the red anodised parts are also very complementary of the material colours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chooey View Post
    Congrats on the new bike, Colin - very well-proportioned, and the red anodised parts are also very complementary of the material colours.
    Thank you. And with a cracking headbadge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, apologies if these are huge. My first go at remotely hosted pictures and their "medium" was tiny, but quite possibly the original is huge.

Rich helped me cut the steerer, so I could ride it. Lot's of reasons why my subjective views are meaningless. First time on carbon rims, first time with discs, first time with a flexy seatpost. Lots of first. Nonetheless, it feels smoooth. I might try and get in a proper ride tomorrow. This was more so if could tell the shift buttons were in the wrong place and my chain catcher was rubbing...that sort of thing!

Love this headbadge. Love the head tube too. Obviously the heatshrink needs to be shrunk, but the first one i impatiently did was deeply shite, so i'm trying to be a bit more patient this time, and do it well.

My DIY Sotto Voce king headset needs re-doing. I had some gun black which i thought would do a proper job, but it turned out shite. Black texta was way better, but it needs re-doing.

These joints are so different to Rich's one's but i'm a fan.

The red is extra sparkly in the sun. The logo is airbrushed in the same gold Mark uses on the downtube. To use a Masterchef word, I wanted to "hero" the gold, without crossing over into gold taps territory. With a couple of suggestions from Rich and Mark, the airbrushed logo is the end result. If I win the lottery or break the fork I've got some ideas for version 2, but iI am not unhappy.

More "heroing" the gold on the saddle. Possibly the only weight weenie thing on the bike. We'll see how that goes.

The chainstays also look supercool in the sun...yes the Di2 plug things need sticking in place.

The wood looks great in the sun too...

There is not much the photographer has done right in this photo, but i like the whole national parks logo etc.

Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like your 'work from home' day turned out better than mine, Colin!

Great to see another Lyrebird in the flesh to see how the different woods look and how Mark's approach has evolved - the intricacy and smoothness of yours is a sight to behold; and is some mightily impressive work.

Excited to get mine back now - which won't be long, according to Mark's last email. Need to buy a fork and groupset, but I'm sure I won't hang about too long doing that, then we can get out for that local Lyrebird ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went for a proper test ride today. Still a few things to sort out. Bars still aren't at quite the right and. Nor is the seat. Front derailleur needs some major positional adjustment. One of the shifter buttons is not quite in the right place. I'm having buyer's remorse over getting the perfectly decent WI hubs instead of an Onyx pair. Other than that, it's all good.

Today's ride was a mix of good roads, crap roads, and concrete roads with that bizarre joining strip every few metres. As i said before, there are a lot of firsts, so it's hard to make decent subjective judgements. Thanks to a strong Aussie dollar in the distant past and the gods of EBAY i commute on a very nuice Ti Seven with a carbon house fork. I got a custom XCR frame from Enigma in 2013, with an Enve 2 fork. They are both nice bikes. I prefer the Lyrebird. I'm not sure what it is about the ride, but i'd be able to tell it riding blindfolded.

The compromise I had for this frame was trying to avoid toe overlap. Most of the time it doesn't matter a damn, and my bikes all have a healthy wallop of it. But since surgery, my balance is a bit screwed up and track-standing is a skill no longer have. I may or may not re-learn it, but with toe overlap and Speedplays I KNOW I wouldn't! Mark sorted it with a 110cm stem instead of a 120cm one. Without that compromise, there is nothing to see here.

But, since this is a galllery....

I do like the finish...

and the finish combined with the sparkly stem...

Have done the heatshrink now...

I've seen this movie before, so it shouldn't surprise me, but i still find it discombobulating. Here is water beading on the surface. Of the wood. That makes bike frame...

Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the same wheels it had last time..(sorry Rich). Saddle angle fixed. Bar angle fixed. Brake levers at the same height - how did i not notice one was ~1cm higher last time? Front derailleur alignment fixed. Rear brake rotor trued (sort of). A much quieter ride today!

This is a hard bike to sum up, but I think it comes down to two things: It's discombulating and it's beguiling.

I KNOW it's a great bike. I KNOW it rides well, I KNOW it either encourages or accepts a bit of a smash fest. Nonetheless, I still find all that somewhat confusing. My precious little brain doesn't expect it to be as good as it is, It is after all a bike that would appear to be made of wood. That's enough to make my head explode right there. It's discombobulating.

Next up, from a distance it looks like a classy bike. Get closer and it's more than classy, it's beguiling. I've got a bike with some cracking paint. I like that bike a lot. But it's still just paint. There's something about the timber finish that just has more depth to it. It's a properly beguiling finish.

A few other things:

A disc brake positive i hadn't thought about and didn't expect - the lever feel is so light that it feels the same from the hoods and the drops. On my rim brake bikes the brake feel from the hoods and drops is different and i'm never entirely confident about just how much force I'm applying from the drops. On the other hand 35 years of caliper maintenance and tweaking has just become worthless...

Not having toe overlap. Normal people can look away here, but for me, not having toe overlap is so, so awesome. Not HAVING to unclip at every set of traffic lights is very liberating. I think Mark ventured into the land of compromise in order to come up with a design that avoided overlap for me. But as a guy that just rides bikes, I can't tell what compromises he has made (assuming he did make them), so whatever they may be, he has chosen well. Maybe someone else could pin point something, but to me - it goes where i want it to go. Nice.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I've seen this movie before, so it shouldn't surprise me, but i still find it discombobulating. Here is water beading on the surface. Of the wood. That makes bike frame...
    There's something about the timber finish that just has more depth to it. It's a properly beguiling finish.
    These two things are related.

The finish is based on tung oil with which is cut with Eucalyptus terpenes, the level of cut reduces as the surface is built until the final surface is pure tung.

The terpene cut increases the penetration into the wood, one consequence of which is that the 3D structure becaomes more visible. You will probably have noticed that, especially in sunlight, the degree of reflectance is dependant on viewing angle. I believe that this is due to reflections within the fibrils in the wood, no other finish does this as well as tung.

Pure tung also has a low surface activity so the contact angle with water (and sweat) is quite high. This means there is very little interaction between the fluids and the surface, limiting the ability of the fluids to affect the surface. This in turn means the surface protects the wood very well, as long as it is maintained. Fortunately maintenance is pretty easy, just rub it over with tung a couple of times a year.

The downside is that it takes a week to do the finish, but that's my problem.

BTW I decided to oil all the hardwood in the house we are building with tung, and although the house is quite small ( about 120 m^2 ), about 20% of the surfaces are hardwood. I've been at it for weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine's now back and ready for a mechanical groupset:

Recent expenses at home are going to slow down the build progress a touch, but I have at least just been gifted a Parlee fork that'll work; which helps to free up funds for a groupset without having to resort to selling my recently acquired Lightweights!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have I mentioned I'm a fan of the headbadge too...

headbadge snip.JPG
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode it to and from work today.

Stupidly windy on the way home. Iíd love to know what the yaw angles were on because the wind was all over the place. I donít think a wind tunnel would help to replicate that.

Anyhoo, Iím aware that new bikes save you 20W at 40km/h, but my rides to and from work had an average speed about 3km/h faster than my previous ďfastĒ.

This bike just makes giving things a nudge fun!

I decided to have dig at a Strava segment on the way in, and by the end Iíd forgotten it was a Strava segment. I was just having fun riding! Great bike.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to have dig at a Strava segment on the way in, and by the end Iíd forgotten it was a Strava segment. I was just having fun riding! Great bike.
    Parriwi?

I am both excited and nervous about getting mine back on the road - excited because Iíve missed it, but nervous because it has the potential to put my Z1 in the shade; and Iím not ready for that yet because Iím loving it so much.

Thankfully (sort of) I canít afford to rebuild the Woody just yet so Iíll have to wait to find out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Parriwi?

I am both excited and nervous about getting mine back on the road - excited because Iíve missed it, but nervous because it has the potential to put my Z1 in the shade; and Iím not ready for that yet because Iím loving it so much.

Thankfully (sort of) I canít afford to rebuild the Woody just yet so Iíll have to wait to find out...
    Actually it was back up from the zoo.

Nervous because youíve rather painted yourself into a corner? Hopefully, you wonít need to be shot in the face. Twice.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nervous because you’ve rather painted yourself into a corner? Hopefully, you won’t need to be shot in the face. Twice.
    Point blank. You forgot point blank...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smelly dirty shirt at work since I commuted on this bike again today. Blimey itís a lot of fun to ride. And it appears, on average, that fun is faster...

Oh, I was thinking of trying a longer stem. 500km in, I donít think I will. Itís comfy like an old jumper. Donít think Iíll mess with that. I can get plenty stretched out if i want to.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve been using a DIY Soto Voce King headset. My latest refresh of that was mind bogglingly appalling, so I removed it. Thought Iíd try the shouty version for a while. Right now Iím in the camp that could care less.

D289883C-EC66-42A3-B8E8-4B5EFFD6EA0C.jpg
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs the new Bourbon colour...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs the new Bourbon colour...
    Thatís not helpful! And it wonít be happening.

Iím projecting, but after that was discovered Iíd be expecting to hear ďstupidĒ, ďself-indulgentĒ and ďfrivolousĒ. Then one day Iíd come home from work and the bike the frivolous burgundy headset was attached to would be gone.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what cool bikes, wood is magical
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine's now back and ready for a mechanical groups.

Recent expenses at home are going to slow down the build progress a touch, but I have at least just been gifted a Parlee fork that'll work; which helps to free up funds for a groupset without having to resort to selling my recently acquired Lightweights!
    So, I sold the Lightweights:

Now running full Record 12. I have a Paul Comp 'Tall & Handsome' post on the way to match the stem. Bar tape will probably change to a brown and (oddly, for me) I'll probably switch the tyres out to all black.

I'm contemplating some alu wheels too, for that matter - possibly DT Swiss OXiC to run tubeless, or Campag Shamal Milles because they're cool (and I'm not sure I can really be arsed with tubeless yet!).

Regardless, I'm excited to ride this again - hopefully tomorrow morning.