Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telavio,by Pino Morroni

Post Thanks / Like

Default Telavio,by Pino Morroni

hi,this is my last purchase,I've no words.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Telavio,by Pino Morroni

Great acquisition. Are you going to build it with "classic" parts?.....If so, are you going to try to locate some Moroni parts? What is the fitting on the back of the seattube?

Post Thanks / Like

Comments on the additional mounting points underside of downtube and trailing side of seattube, if you may. Feature or grappa?

Post Thanks / Like

Info online on Morroni says that the holes are actually the ends of small tubes that run from one side of the frame tube to the other. They function as frame stiffeners. Morroni appears to have had a lot of really interesting ideas concerning frame building, including silver-brazing a titanium track bike. Evidently he proved the strength of that bike by riding it down the Spanish Steps in Rome. At one point he lived and built frames in Detroit where he worked for Chrysler.

Thanks for posting this frame here - nice history lesson.

Here are some links:

http://bikeville.blogspot.com/2009/0...a-bicycle.html

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...oroni_main.htm
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-12-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: links added

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info & links Re: tubing stiffeners. Predates Peg BLE DT stiffeners by a few decades. Sig. Morroni also the innovator for the titanium stem on Merckx's hour record bike.

Please post pics when it is built up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Info online on Morroni says that the holes are actually the ends of small tubes that run from one side of the frame tube to the other. They function as frame stiffeners. Morroni appears to have had a lot of really interesting ideas concerning frame building, including silver-brazing a titanium track bike. Evidently he proved the strength of that bike by riding it down the Spanish Steps in Rome. At one point he lived and built frames in Detroit where he worked for Chrysler.

Thanks for posting this frame here - nice history lesson.

Here are some links:

Bikeville thoughts and news: Pino Morroni Cambio Corsa bicycle

Pino Moroni main
    no spanish steps,his frames were tested by e.merckx and by a lot of track riders champions,but also more recently by g.bugno....
    the inner rods,also in steel frames,were in titanium.
    he was able to braze titanium pipes and steel casts,and also to weld titanium and stell by using silver,palladium and others materials(secret) like filling material.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMensa View Post
    Thanks for the info & links Re: tubing stiffeners. Predates Peg BLE DT stiffeners by a few decades. Sig. Morroni also the innovator for the titanium stem on Merckx's hour record bike.

Please post pics when it is built up.
    the stiffness of the main tube of BLE is due to his own over sized diameter,to much over and thin by needing of inner plane reinforcements to avoid tube collapse.
    I don't know if built it modern and light or with 80's components...

Post Thanks / Like

Pasquino, do you have a Big Leg Emma or do you have ever picked up a Big Leg Emma?
    I invite you to inform you a little better before you offer some pearls of wisdom, who does not know you might think you're a competent person, but every time you look well of support from any technical basis.
    Incidentally i do not speak of what I dont know and when I am not sure of what I say at the beginning of the sentence we add a nice "believe" or "suppose".
    For the record I currently own a Big Leg Emma (and a little there will come another), the tube whit the inserts dont have a diameter much higher than the Marcelo (Dario correct me if I'm wrong), I've never heard of sagging of the down tube of Marcelo, then see a little bit you ... ...
    On the down tube inserts are used to create a more rigid structure, not to maintain a structure which otherwise would break.
    I invite you once again to observe more closely the work of a great professional like Mr. Pegoretti, these baseless allegations are your really despicable.

Roberto

P.S. As you can see i don't need to hide my identity change my n.name on every forum where I participate

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool. I was a close friend of Pino. I miss the banter we used to have. You don't see many with an un-threaded bb for his "MICRO-METRIC " BB's Wayne Bingham at Mel Pinto Imports may have one??
    I still have a Pino frame jig available for sale. Brand new or more correctly NOS, both usable and collectable depending on your bent.
    I do have some minor concerns about the fork. It just doesn't look Pino to me. Is there any ID on the steerer?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pasquino View Post
    the stiffness of the main tube of BLE is due to his own over sized diameter,to much over and thin by needing of inner plane reinforcements to avoid tube collapse.
    I don't know if built it modern and light or with 80's components...
    Mr. Pasquino,
    some time ago, I asked this:á

"I'd be curious to know what is your background, or maybe you're talking about something you've never built or you don't know exactly how it is built and how it works?"

I renew my question and I now i am waiting for an answer.

How do you say this:
    "of the main tube of BLE is due to his own over sized diameter,to much over and thin by needing of inner plane reinforcements to avoid tube collapse"
    if you don't know anything about the project?
    The ble down tube is perfectly able to withstand even without reinforcements, reinforcements are not intended to increase strength, their function is completely different.
    Please stop making assumptions without any information and given certain.
    Dario Pegoretti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Round View Post
    Mr. Pasquino,
    some time ago, I asked this:á

"I'd be curious to know what is your background, or maybe you're talking about something you've never built or you don't know exactly how it is built and how it works?"

I renew my question and I now i am waiting for an answer.

How do you say this:
    "of the main tube of BLE is due to his own over sized diameter,to much over and thin by needing of inner plane reinforcements to avoid tube collapse"
    if you don't know anything about the project?
    The ble down tube is perfectly able to withstand even without reinforcements, reinforcements are not intended to increase strength, their function is completely different.
    Please stop making assumptions without any information and given certain.
    Dario Pegoretti
    mr round,
    rispondo in italiano,cosý evitiamo di ripeterci,in quanto la mia risposta in merito al mio background l'ho data in "smoked etc".
    una domanda,una risposta.
    quante domande le ho fatto io senza alcuna risposta?
    neanche le ricvordo e sinceramente neanche m'interessano piu'.
    riguardo ai rinforzi interni al BLE,ho pensato ci˛,e se mi sbaglio mi correggerÓ,senza piantare melodrammi.
    e cioŔ,mi son chiesto,ma se la via per conferire rigiditÓ ad un tubo Ŕ quella di aumentarne il diametro,e qui le dimensioni sono enormi,che bisogno c'Ŕ di aumentarne ulteriormente tale rigiditÓ?
    allora,ho pensato,perchŔ il mio background da ciclista sprovvisto di paraocchi e/o sordine di sorta mi porta a fare valutazioni e deduzioni logiche,che tale soluzione poteva essere una sorta di puntello dall'interno,todos aqui.
    mi piacerebbe molto conoscere il motivo di tali rinforzi,ma so giÓ che difficilmente risponderÓ,non avendo io background da costruttore di telai,ma essendo semplice consumatore,e quindi non degno di intavolare discorsi scientifici.
    spero che ulteriori repliche siano costruttive,altrimenti non m'interessano,sinceramente...
    excuse me for this italian off topic,but I think that it doesn't interest so much,it's only a tedious tete a tete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Porter View Post
    Pretty cool. I was a close friend of Pino. I miss the banter we used to have. You don't see many with an un-threaded bb for his "MICRO-METRIC " BB's Wayne Bingham at Mel Pinto Imports may have one??
    I still have a Pino frame jig available for sale. Brand new or more correctly NOS, both usable and collectable depending on your bent.
    I do have some minor concerns about the fork. It just doesn't look Pino to me. Is there any ID on the steerer?
    Dave
    I've another Pino's frame with the same fork,I've to dissemble the steerer from the frame and look better for an ID.
    I also have got a seat post with "pat Pino",beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ciofecca giallobl¨ View Post
    Pasquino, do you have a Big Leg Emma or do you have ever picked up a Big Leg Emma?
    I invite you to inform you a little better before you offer some pearls of wisdom, who does not know you might think you're a competent person, but every time you look well of support from any technical basis.
    Incidentally i do not speak of what I dont know and when I am not sure of what I say at the beginning of the sentence we add a nice "believe" or "suppose".
    For the record I currently own a Big Leg Emma (and a little there will come another), the tube whit the inserts dont have a diameter much higher than the Marcelo (Dario correct me if I'm wrong), I've never heard of sagging of the down tube of Marcelo, then see a little bit you ... ...
    On the down tube inserts are used to create a more rigid structure, not to maintain a structure which otherwise would break.
    I invite you once again to observe more closely the work of a great professional like Mr. Pegoretti, these baseless allegations are your really despicable.

Roberto

P.S. As you can see i don't need to hide my identity change my n.name on every forum where I participate
    mr ciofecca,for tech(I hope) facts,I've had a tete a tete with mr round.
    for the avatar and nick,for me is a pleasur change these,it's a forum,not an anagraphic office.
    my be the reason is that a ciofecca always is a cifecca...

Post Thanks / Like

Pasqueno and all,
    TELAVIO is a conjunction of design and aviation. So some of the tube through a tube had its basis in Pino's early days as a tool maker and subsequent time spent in the Italian air corps, the three mice also go back to those days and had something to do with aircraft (North Africa, if I recall correctly). His very early work with titanium and Cecil Beringher led him to this stiffening process. Those of you familiar with some of my bikes know that I did a lot brain picking from Pino. /blog/velodrome/holy-wHoly Mackeral
    Pino was years ahead of most bike design and lightweight components. We shared a booth at Interbike on several occasions. I was introduced to the many Italian manufactures personally as well as Eddy Merkyx. he all kiddingly referred to him as the Americano.
    He had an apprentice in Warren, MI. I think his name was xxxx Briggs, sorry, maybe some one else knows him. Anyway I'm sure his recollections are better than mine.

Post Thanks / Like

The story about riding the bicycle down the Spanish Steps in Rome is from this link, Morroni's obituary in Classic Rendezvous. It was not my invention, but I suppose it could be someone else's. Perhaps even Morroni's own.

Pino Morroni 1920-1999 Obituary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pasquino View Post
    mr round,
    rispondo in italiano,cosý evitiamo di ripeterci,in quanto la mia risposta in merito al mio background l'ho data in "smoked etc".
    una domanda,una risposta.
    quante domande le ho fatto io senza alcuna risposta?
    neanche le ricvordo e sinceramente neanche m'interessano piu'.
    riguardo ai rinforzi interni al BLE,ho pensato ci˛,e se mi sbaglio mi correggerÓ,senza piantare melodrammi.
    e cioŔ,mi son chiesto,ma se la via per conferire rigiditÓ ad un tubo Ŕ quella di aumentarne il diametro,e qui le dimensioni sono enormi,che bisogno c'Ŕ di aumentarne ulteriormente tale rigiditÓ?
    allora,ho pensato,perchŔ il mio background da ciclista sprovvisto di paraocchi e/o sordine di sorta mi porta a fare valutazioni e deduzioni logiche,che tale soluzione poteva essere una sorta di puntello dall'interno,todos aqui.
    mi piacerebbe molto conoscere il motivo di tali rinforzi,ma so giÓ che difficilmente risponderÓ,non avendo io background da costruttore di telai,ma essendo semplice consumatore,e quindi non degno di intavolare discorsi scientifici.
    spero che ulteriori repliche siano costruttive,altrimenti non m'interessano,sinceramente...
    excuse me for this italian off topic,but I think that it doesn't interest so much,it's only a tedious tete a tete.
    Please..........

Now you are a customer?

Post Thanks / Like

basta pasquino... basta.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry that I made a remark on the BLE that gave someone the opportunity to take a cheap shot. I had fallen behind the rest of the company and did not make the meeting that said Santiago was not to be touched.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Porter View Post
    Pasqueno and all,
    TELAVIO is a conjunction of design and aviation. So some of the tube through a tube had its basis in Pino's early days as a tool maker and subsequent time spent in the Italian air corps, the three mice also go back to those days and had something to do with aircraft (North Africa, if I recall correctly). His very early work with titanium and Cecil Beringher led him to this stiffening process. Those of you familiar with some of my bikes know that I did a lot brain picking from Pino. /blog/velodrome/holy-wHoly Mackeral
    Pino was years ahead of most bike design and lightweight components. We shared a booth at Interbike on several occasions. I was introduced to the many Italian manufactures personally as well as Eddy Merkyx. he all kiddingly referred to him as the Americano.
    He had an apprentice in Warren, MI. I think his name was xxxx Briggs, sorry, maybe some one else knows him. Anyway I'm sure his recollections are better than mine.
    many many thanks,I've seen your frames,masterpieces!
    I'm happy to know a Pino's friend,in Italy whe a little about his life.
    how can I do to buy a micro-metric bb?
    Ps:very nice the t-shirt with the three green mice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The story about riding the bicycle down the Spanish Steps in Rome is from this link, Morroni's obituary in Classic Rendezvous. It was not my invention, but I suppose it could be someone else's. Perhaps even Morroni's own.

Pino Morroni 1920-1999 Obituary
    please,excuse me,I didn't know this story,sorry.