Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Surly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Surly

Yes, I know - Surlys don't fit in with the general theme of nice bikes in the gallery but I've had some good times on mine and I'm some of you have experienced the same pleasure of owning a cheap, well thought out bike. My Pacer is sort of like a poor man's Hampsten (i.e. minus the crafstmanship and ride quality) :-) Anyway, it's versatile and looks pretty good in "Tuxedo Blue". Anyone else want to out themselves as a Surly owner?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Spousal Unit's Long Haul Trucker.
    Front mudguard line is a work in progress, and given the steering geometry, the front rack is little more than a fancy front light bracket.
    David Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have a Steamroller that I really liked, but I didn't know any better when I bought it and it wound up being way too small. I know for a fact that I don't have it anymore, I just don't know what I did with it.

I've now got a Karate Monkey 29er MTB which I adore. Unfortunately my camera is broken and I don't have any pictures saved of it in it's current configuration... maybe on the old computer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both bikes pictured are excellent go-to choices, especially when one doesn't know what to expect with weather on a commute or tour.
    The silver drivetrain, wheels, fenders, headset, and collar combined with black stem and seatpost totally works. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've owned a Cross Check and a Pacer. Both were great bikes and awesome value as commuters / second bikes.

The Cross Check was replaced with a Salsa La Cruz and the Pacer was an intermediary bike while I was sorting my Litespeed but was destroyed in an accident - a real shame as I'd still have it otherwise. Both bikes rode great although were a *little* heavy :-)

surlydrivetrain.jpgsurlyrearside.jpgsurlybars.jpgpacer.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, if surly had your pacer on their catalogue, they'd surely sell a lot more of those!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy God - that's the best looking Pacer I've ever seen! You don't often see them built up like this...cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I've owned a Cross Check and a Pacer. Both were great bikes and awesome value as commuters / second bikes.

The Cross Check was replaced with a Salsa La Cruz and the Pacer was an intermediary bike while I was sorting my Litespeed but was destroyed in an accident - a real shame as I'd still have it otherwise. Both bikes rode great although were a *little* heavy :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Karate Monkey picked up used on CL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my Cross-Check. It's my commuter and has been fitted with a mix of parts lying around after the other bikes got upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chooey View Post
    wow, if surly had your pacer on their catalogue, they'd surely sell a lot more of those!
    If people knew how well these frames ride they'd sell a lot more of them! Awesome value-for-money frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

surlydrivetrain.jpgsurlyrearside.jpgsurlybars.jpgpacer.JPG
    Nice looking Surlys. I've thought about the Travelers Check as a travel bike to have. But your pacer is awefully nice looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Pacer. Photo taken by the Pepacton Reservoir in the Catskills in the midst of a 120ish mile ride last October. After I took this picture I got back on the bike, rode around the bend, and was face to face with a bear in the middle of the road. He was walking down the hillside to get a drink.

Now has Sheldon Nuts, XTR rd, and a 130 stem with no spacers. I ride it a lot in any weather, and don't cringe if it gets messed up. It fits great and my enjoyment is disproportionate to the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just rode my single speed cross check in to work today. Yeah, it's not blingy, but for a not too precious, braze ons for everything, room for big ol tires bike, it's pretty great. I think a lot of people who buy hybrids or something else like that would be better off with a surly.

Another good thing about it is: when I ride it for a while and then get back on my Merlin, it really makes me appreciate that bikes subtler virtues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm stalking Ebay right now for used Cross Checks or LHTs, to set up as a daily commuter and grocery getter. I've been very happy with my Surlies in the past. Here are some shots:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masispecial View Post
    The Spousal Unit's Long Haul Trucker.
    Front mudguard line is a work in progress, and given the steering geometry, the front rack is little more than a fancy front light bracket.
    Hey, masispecial. Could you elaborate a little? I figured that the LHT might be a decent candidate for a porteur rack, since it has the braze ons for a front pannier rack. Does it not handle well with a weighted front? Thanks . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Hey, masispecial. Could you elaborate a little? I figured that the LHT might be a decent candidate for a porteur rack, since it has the braze ons for a front pannier rack. Does it not handle well with a weighted front? Thanks . . .
    70 degree head angle and 45mm fork rake works out to 68mm and 22mm wheelflop (assuming a 63cm wheel diameter). From everything I have read, and my own slight experience, this is rear loading geometry.
    David Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Steamroller

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Surly

I love Surly's. Owned a few including a Cross Check I rode the crap out of but the Karate Monkey is the last one left in the stable. Surly's are always heavy, strong, versatile and well designed. Bikes that you feel free to abuse and love more because of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post

My Steamroller
    that guy's steamrolla is killer. my own:

to be honest i haven't ridden it since december.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post

My Steamroller
    What are the fenders mounted with? P-clamps?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast