Results 1,281 to 1,287 of 1287

Thread: Spooky Stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spooky Stuff

I've been a lurker for a while and love seeing the builds, figured I'd post my two spooky's for the world to see, ha. Please forgive my cross chain photos, I need to work on that.

Dune.jpg

54cm Dune
    - enve 29xc rims laced to dt 350 hubs
    - compass bon jon pass
    - 105... because when I break it, it's cheap and easy to replace
    - mismatched stem/seatpost/bars because I blew all my money already
    - go anywhere, do anything, road/gravel/dirt/single track/if I can get a bike there, I'll ride this there.

Skeletor.jpg

54cm Skeletor
    - sram red (now running 1x, Lightning/Quarq combo is long gone)
    - stans alpha rims to dt180 hubs
    - ritchey cockpit, theseatpost and tune saddle (for the weightweenies)
    - 15.0 pounds on the nose with cages and pedals
    - can be found getting spit off the back at the driveway in Austin... but it ain't the bikes fault

Funny story about this skeletor. The first crit I ever went to I saw some fast dude on an anodized blue skeletor. I was fascinated by it and wanted one, but after doing my research on it I quickly realized it was out of my price range and maybe one day I'll snag one. So spooky goes dormant but bikes occasionally popped up on the swap meet pages and/or ebay. I could never find a 54, and if I did, they were often sold before I could buy it. I just figured it was never meant to be.
    Fast forward to fall 2015, I was bored one day so I started searching around to see if there were any for sale, and wouldn't you know it, I found an ad from 2012 for a 54cm skeletor. I message the guy to see if he still has it, a few days go by and he responds... he still has it. He lives in central Texas, I was in Colorado at the time and we work up a price and he'll ship it to me. Holy schnit, I'm about to have this unicorn of a bike. Then... he disappears. No response to my emails. Welp, see ya later.
    I occasionally email him to see if he's still interested in selling it, zero response.
    Fast forward to August of 2017. I had just ordered my birthday present for myself, my beautiful blue Spooky Dune (see above). I tell the Spooky crew my story of, "the one that got away" and how close I was to nabbing an OG Skeletor, and decide to email this guy one last time to see if he still has it and still wants to sell it. Mind you, in the time we initially went back and forth (fall of 2015 to August 2017) I had moved to central Texas and was ready to meet him in person to get this deal done. I wake up the next morning to an email from him asking where I want to meet, the Skeletor is mine... $100 cash money. I had it built up in a couple of weeks and I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My OG Skeletor traded hands at least twice on VSalon before landing with me in 2016 (thanks, Mike).

It's been my main travel bike. It's relatively light, easy to carry, and let's face it - I don't worry too much about replacement should an airline do what they tend to do...

Last Nov I went out for a pre-dawn ride in San Francisco and immediately ate pavement. It was like being struck down by an invisible giant hand - slam.

I rode on for a few miles but bailed out when I realized that I couldn't really shift or hold the bars to climb.

The result was a busted arm - non dislocated fracture at the radial neck and my wrist was wrecked. Could have been worse. Got the bike packed with one hand and didn't look at it again until April.

The bike was rideable, but there were a bunch of things in unfamiliar and barely functional positions (including the RD hanger), so over the past few weeks I've been collecting parts for a swap and rebuild, which brings me to today...

Here's Skeletor 2.0, which now fits 28 tubs on my favorite wheels:

#shortcageisnotdead
    #bigringisnotdead
    #tubularsarenotdead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This iteration looks great.

That is a scary story though, were you ever able to determine what was the cause of such an unexpected crash? Glad you healed up OK and the bike is still road worthy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    This iteration looks great.

That is a scary story though, were you ever able to determine what was the cause of such an unexpected crash? Glad you healed up OK and the bike is still road worthy!
    Thanks...

Went back in daylight and found a giant, ancient manhole cover - polished to a mirror finish.

Must have hit it just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see this thread brought back up. I picked up an (I think) early production Skeletor a few weeks ago and just finished building it up. I've always wanted a Skeletor, but couldn't afford one when they were new and always missed out on used ones in my size.

I'm really impressed with the way this thing rides. Very much a race bike, but in a good way. I'm looking forward to getting some more miles on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WillT. View Post
    Glad to see this thread brought back up. I picked up an (I think) early production Skeletor a few weeks ago and just finished building it up. I've always wanted a Skeletor, but couldn't afford one when they were new and always missed out on used ones in my size.

I'm really impressed with the way this thing rides. Very much a race bike, but in a good way. I'm looking forward to getting some more miles on it.

Curious as to the size of this one. I always want the smaller looking bikes to be a 48-49, but usually it's a 52 which is my guess for what yours is. Handsome looking bike with proper Campy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a 52. I believe it's the smallest size they offered in the Skeletor (not sure about the Havocstaff).