Thread: Spooky Stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spooky Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    They're both set up as 4-cross bikes by the look of things but would work pretty well as a 'play bike' for either dirt or street / skateparks.

A trials bike has a much smaller front chainring (generally 22t) with a bashguard, generally a rigid fork, and a very low or non-existent seat.

A downhill bike is generally full suspension with a lot more travel than the two in the photos.

Of course like road bikes there is a lot of overlap and those two Spooks look to be fun on a downhill.
    This is a downhill bike.

This is a Slalom Bike.

Both of them are going to win a prepostoreously large number of races in 2010
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to sell my Taurine and get that BB30/ Lefty compatible 650B frame. Still have that headtube?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    I really want to sell my Taurine and get that BB30/ Lefty compatible 650B frame. Still have that headtube?
    I don't think we are going to be able to schedule much if any custom stuff until after October. We've got a few frames left that we need to catch up on though. Prototyping all these fancy-pants new mountainbikes and building bikes for the various race programs will take up most of our fabrication time. We need to find the time to build a new batch of CX frames and new road frames in the middle there too. I finally had to break down and buy a gigantic 4x8' markerboard calender and a 4x8' corkboard to even plan 2 weeks ahead at this point. That's great I suppose though!
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These bicycles are getting made. And the grass is sprouting. Time to get at it!

mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw Clif Bar team bikes this weekend- shame their decals are coming off.
    also, as cool a decal as it is, it is not very legible. Not as good a way of promoting your product as something bigger and bolder.
    You should make a "team issue" decal and get it out to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Saw Clif Bar team bikes this weekend- shame their decals are coming off.
    also, as cool a decal as it is, it is not very legible. Not as good a way of promoting your product as something bigger and bolder.
    You should make a "team issue" decal and get it out to them.
    I hadn't heard about that sticker problem yet. We've got a few custom frames heading out there this week, so I'll make up some new graphics to get out there. I really appreciate the heads up!

Legibility has become increasingly less important to me, where it has gotten to the point that I want to start shipping as many bikes as we can devoid of logos.

Now for the tangential rant on graphics, brand identity and the brutal art of capitalist persuasion;
    Starting some time this summer I want to start shipping bikes without any logos, including completes. Bikes are awesome, but we want to build personal relationships with the people we sell stuff to, not sell them a brand. If people want to buy the brand, I think it's a little better, ideologically to sell them art.

We make bikes in a factory. They are goods manufactured as efficiently as possible to accomplish a specific task. Sure, it's not some faceless factory staffed by people who don't ride bikes, but the thing we love about making stuff is making it progressively more efficiently. Running the machines or I guess I should say, making the machines as fast and precise as they can be is the art and passion in fabrication for the people who make our bikes in Boston. Building machines and tools that make bikes, sweeping the floor, scraping the ways- that is the soulcraft in fabrication when you run a factory. The art is in geometry, the design, the elegance of the bicycle and the logical and scientific management of the machines. Once the "units" become bikes, they're still just units, our love and values represented repetition and sameness. They aren't bicycles until someone rides them. A t-shirt or a drawing or cool stickers( or welding) are art. The process is the creative act, and the creative act is the process. Value added in production must reflect it's true value as an object outside of the marketplace. Stickers on a downtube may in fact, dilute our message- Everything we do is the best we can do- the Brand is irrelevant in that regard.

Sure, I spend countless hours thinking about and teaching people about super complex branding stuff, you know, real propaganda and mind control shit. I don't think about it to sell products, I think about it to analyze the way major corporations work to try to sabotage them and to develop some simpler language than the wonky ways people like Chomsky have expressed in regard to the problems of neoliberalism and corporate control, the corporate state and the very rapid evaporation of liberty. It's not people over profit as much as it is toil over fun that we concern ourselves and our megalomanical self-righteous tubthumping with. I've been getting more offers lately to get paid to help formulate ideas and crap for some companies of the less than savory persuasion in the internecine world that is the active-sports industry. I need the money desperately and will probably end up doing some of that work. Afterall it is best to know the beast from the inside to more effectively attempt to dismantle it from the outside. The people inside the institutions are almost always awesome, and they love their jobs, but on a grand scale they are locked into one method of social and corporate organization.
    What we all want to do here is make bikes that are distinctive enough that they don't need branding on them. Honestly what I've certainly seen is that when people make bike buying decisions, it's emotional. We want to form personal relationships with our customers based on the fact that we all love bicycles and the stuff that goes along with them. Our bikes are sound products made with as little variability as possible.
    We want to express to our friends and fellow travelers that Spooky is people who are super duper stoked on bikes. The bikes stand on their own. To succeed in the future in an increasingly cybernated world that has ever-increasing access to products directly from manufacturers, the brand moves outside of a logo, product or "brand identity" and becomes simply people and their ideas and passion.

Art on the other hand is inefficient and imprecise by nature, and does represent freedom at it's most sublime for those who create it:

The dude who made those squiggles and colors couldn't stand the way we must do things- the precision- the routine. Turns out it's better off that he didn't, as he found the form of creation and expression that most suited him and made him the happiest.

Racing bikes is wicked fun, therefore supporting the scene and getting exposure for it, in my mind, represents a value proposition that goes beyond capital exchange to become a free and voluntary association of people who want to beat the shit out of each other for kicks, and fun is the highest goal in life, is it not?

mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    What we all want to do here is make bikes that are distinctive enough that they don't need branding on them.
    Mickey,

Please elaborate: what makes a bike "distinctive" that is not also branding?

I don't know that a lack of brand name logos means a bike doesn't have a brand. For example, I can't read the logo on most Pegoretti's from more than 5 feet away (I'm near sighted), but I can see a Pegoretti from 20 paces. I don't think the brand is the logos, it's the part of the bike that visually sets it apart from other bikes.

I appreciate what you're up to, but I say go for a consistent and tasteful graphics package. From my vantage point (and following Hegel), I don't see that capitalism's kernels are ready to burst.

Caleb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb- seems like you and i are on the same page- Pegorrettis have both a form-language and set of general graphical ideas that make the name un-needed. I'm trying to do the same thing with form-language alone. Carrying leverageable design features- tube shapes, machine parts and proportion across 12 different models is he basic idea. If an idea works well on a road bike, it probably works well on a FS mountainbike. Steel and Aluminum have their individual properties that mean that the same sort of shapes and concepts aren't directly transferable, but the basic underlying principle- sound design applied thoughtfully and consistently across multiple canvasses is the general idea. Look to numerous builders here for the same thing. Dave Kirk's stays, Garros toptubes- Pegorettis penchant for oversizing, extended headtubes and expressive paint are a few examples I can think of off the top of my head. People who know those bikes can recognize them without the guidance of logos. Yes, this is branding- but there is to me an ideological difference when you remove the logo, especially for something that exists in our sphere- a company that has a "factory" and makes stock units.
    No one else has to know what you are riding, and the distinction lay in the design of he bicycle and not the font on the downtube. A persona/political statement, not a metaphysical one.

State Capitalism can and will be dismantled. It won't involve guns, it will be spontaneous revolution, local direct actions and peaceful resistance to corporate subjugation. Defending the internet, fighting corporate personhood as constitutionally protected speech and organizing resistance on the immediate and personal level is what's needed.

When the people can open their eyes and truly see the world around them I honestly believe that they will revolt and act in their own self-interest to protect liberty. It has happened before, and if we manage to defend free speech it will happen again. The pre-existing conditions for revolution are starting to ferment- Unprecedented global recession- populist rage- rapid and unregulated communication and collaboration via the internet, all of these things appeal outside of the traditional and in my opinion, misguided activist circles. You must admit, if people were made aware of how the world we live in actually operates and if people realized that they had real power over their own lives and their own communities things would not continue operating they way they are. These are real, achievable, concrete ideas and goals. Goals that anyone can understand, and that anyone can accept and embrace.
    Ranting about this stuff is my marketing. It sells bikes, of course, but I always hope that it promotes discourse. Not about bottom bracket stiffness, but of our enjoyment of the world around us.
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now for something different. Keep em coming Mickey.

A mix of old and new but all good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great bike!
    Reminds me of.... a mountain bike. Looks the way it should.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna pick up the darkside at the post today next weekend (I hope) I'll build it! Mega excited!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mickey,
    i noticed there are barely any photos of kittenpaste bikes. could you show us some?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spooky branding--

I love my Skeletor so much, I won't ever put a DT logo on it.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pair of the of the adler bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frenk View Post
    Gonna pick up the darkside at the post today next weekend (I hope) I'll build it! Mega excited!
    Your gonna love it. How are you going to build it up? Post some pics when it's done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatallightning View Post
    pair of the of the adler bikes.
    We need larger pictures of the one with silver Thomson stuff. That's one of my favorite bikes I've seen so far.
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hangman View Post
    Your gonna love it. How are you going to build it up? Post some pics when it's done.
    Nothing really special, I'll use most components I already have on the old bike. That is ritchey wcs cockpit/seatpost and a mix of x9, x0, xt and xtr. Totally unsexy, but has worked pretty well so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame -I'm loving the little monster sticker! Will it survive on the bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frenk View Post
    Frame -I'm loving the little monster sticker! Will it survive on the bike?
    no, but my kids love 'em on their skateboards. it drives all the other shred heads crazy that they can't get'em for their boards.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would be mr. dan chabanov's bike, who has recently won grant's tomb criterium and the red hook criterium. he may have more pics of his bike, i pulled this off his flickr.