User Tag List

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    An evolution

Noteworthy...don't put a whippy crankset/bottom bracket on a bike with huge chainstays; you will notice.
    so I'm not the only one that thought the record alloy crank was whippy ...
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've noticed that. It can be surprising to some just how stiff a Titanium drive-train can be. They never feel like bricks, but they sure can be solid. And when a bike is second hand, it can take a bit of effort to make it yours. Seems as though you've done yourself pretty good. Congratulations.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You rearranged the letters of the previous owners name to spell "get on your bike!"? That is the best part.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to me, picked up across the hall from a great guy who is close enough to my size to ride bikes almost identical in size to mine. Some day I'll get to the barn for the full experience, but in the meantime this opportunity just sorta fell into my lap. Finally got the cockpit sorted and the look I was after. Designed for 28mm plus tires and Paul centerpull brakes, and accompanied by a custom rack and Berthoud bag, it rides great as pictured and with a front load. It feels super stable, and fast descending; the somewhat lower trail and the way it turns in and allows line to be easily adjusted when turning is new to me and very much to my liking. I am really excited about getting to know this bike in different configurations. I had forgotten how much I liked the ride of a good titanium frame, and this bike with nice wheels and tires is sublime. Heck, it even makes these ruffy tuffys feel good! Final addition will be dynamo lighting, then will be set for the record El Nino predicted for Seattle this winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    New to me, picked up across the hall from a great guy who is close enough to my size to ride bikes almost identical in size to mine.
    Wow, second second hand in the PNW in a short period of time. That thing is beautiful. What are the dimensions? More importantly, can I buy it off you when you're tired of it?
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a big bike. About 63 cm seat tube and 60.6 top tube. Longish chainstays at 43.5. I think it will take a long, long, long time to tire of this one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike 1.jpg

Thank you Tom Kellogg, I love this bike. With the matching pump I could not ask for more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is real easy to ask for ...a fixed fear model, one with fenders and a cross bike just like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good friend happens to have very similar bio-mechanics and proportions. He changed directions and I was able to take ownership of this rockstar that he had built a few year ago. Headtube is a bit taller than ideal, but whatever. Build is a bit of a cobbled mix, but it's what I had and I like to ride. First impressions are stellar; first bike I've ever ridden that allows me to run a pretty tall/crunched position with a lot of forward bias while maintaining handling composure. It's almost strange that I can relax in the position - largely due in part to the long chainstays and neutrality of weight distribution. Coupled with the low BB, it's super anchored and stable. Looking forward to getting some real miles on this rig. Cheers20150923_184841.jpgspectrum1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it finally happened.

My training routine—and by training I mean just trying to keep this 68YO body from wasting away—is a nice 12K hilly loop in the park across the road from my house. I know every inch of it quite well. It's pretty, not crowded if you time it right, and doesn't take all day. Problem is I bought a cycling app for my iPhone and it lets you compete against yourself. You know at a glance if you're ahead or behind your various times. So, naturally, you always want to beat your best time, right? One day, after a hard rain the night before, I was about half-way through and working on a good time when I saw—too late—that a slick of mud had washed across a fast turn I normally really lean into.

I bounced; twice.

The Spectrum steel suffered only a displaced brake/shifter and a wobbly front wheel. Here's what I got:

Appliance2.jpg

Not the sort of custom metalwork that usually gets discussed here. And, sadly, I've missed most of one of the best riding summers ever.

Oh Yeah—there's a bone graft in there. When I asked the surgeon where he got that he said, "cadaver." So, on top of everything else, I've been zombi-ized! Tom, I may need to repaint my bike black and red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch.. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Ouch.. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
    This +1. And another +1 to the zombie paint job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I thought I had some fancy hardware up in my shoulders but your's takes the cake. Holy mackerel! Get all better real soon.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atw View Post
    bike 1.jpg

Thank you Tom Kellogg, I love this bike. With the matching pump I could not ask for more.
    I think I ran into you at Flying Monkey in Campbellville a few weeks back. Again, gorgeous bike!
    Tom Lowry—Milton, ON
    www.negativespace.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, that was me. By the way we're you racing your Mariposa at the track tonight ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    An evolution
    Wow, you freehanded that?!

Baller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's bump Spectrum back to the top of this thread (and get the commentary out of the postman thread). Sharing a couple more of Tom's pics.

This one has been a long time in the thinking and building. It's here at last and I got it out on the road just before we had our first dump of heavy wet snow. Our fabulous extended fall appears to have ended rather abruptly with nearly a foot of snow. Looking to get back out on it once things clear up as the initial rides have me anxious to get it on the trail too. Tom did a great job on it.

Thanks Tom!

img_9188.jpgimg_9195.jpgimg_9191.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great!

Would you be able to share the geo with us?

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Let's bump Spectrum back to the top of this thread (and get the commentary out of the postman thread). Sharing a couple more of Tom's pics.

This one has been a long time in the thinking and building. It's here at last and I got it out on the road just before we had our first dump of heavy wet snow. Our fabulous extended fall appears to have ended rather abruptly with nearly a foot of snow. Looking to get back out on it once things clear up as the initial rides have me anxious to get it on the trail too. Tom did a great job on it.

Thanks Tom!

img_9188.jpgimg_9195.jpgimg_9191.jpg
    Tom's painting is amazing. Tell us about the design and color choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ineff View Post
    Looks great!

Would you be able to share the geo with us?
    Please check with Tom re geo.