User Tag List

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I'm thinking about a set with some of my Nucleons getting long in the tooth and that they're 10/11 speed compatible if I ever go 11-speed. Cool.

BTW, pics of that bike are nice. Let's get a real ride report! Handling, stiffness, feel, etc! Spectrum vs. Rock Lobster vs. Crumpton.....
    Spectrum, Rock Lobster, Crumpton, Sachs. This is the current stable in France. The Strong feels lonely in the US ;-)

The Crumpton has the hyperon and 50/34 and is the lightest, I take it for rides with lots of climbing
    The Lobster has the Bora and a 53/39, I take it for the fastest local group rides, I need the 53/11 to hang on the downhills around here
    The Spectrum has the Bora 35 and 50/34, I took it out twice only but it is clearly an all rounder and I think can be great in the mountains;-)
    The Sachs has the Shamal tubular, I reach for it when I ride alone and quite a bit in the winter as well or when it's wet

They all handle the same which is normal as the geometry on all of them is pretty close. I had asked Nick for something close to the Sachs and he nailed it. The others are using the Crumpton geo or close to it (42cm CS, 61 FC, 80mm drop, 73/73 angles).

In terms of stiffness they are all stiff enough for me. The Spectrum has none of the softness I had in my Litespeed classic. In terms of feel I have a soft spot for the Sachs fork, all the others have an Enve fork (1.0 for the Crumpton, 2.0 for the Lobster and Spectrum), the Lobster as the tapered one with 44 HT, I can't really feel the difference.

In terms of comfort I have veloflex tubs on all of them and to me this is where 85% of the comfort comes from. All of these bikes are super smooth, even the Lobster with the monster alum tubes and the "less comfy" 50mm rims.

All of these bikes also clear 28mm to go baller or Paris Roubaix, so I am sort of set for life. Even though I am sure I can come up with something I "need".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Arenbergs? I can make out the Veloflex marque, I think...
    these are 23mm carbon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent comparison! All four major materials and all from well renowned builders.

BTW, you better never go to NAHBS or you might 'need' more bikes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should give Bamboo a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Spectrum, Rock Lobster, Crumpton, Sachs. This is the current stable in France. The Strong feels lonely in the US ;-)

The Crumpton has the hyperon and 50/34 and is the lightest, I take it for rides with lots of climbing
    The Lobster has the Bora and a 53/39, I take it for the fastest local group rides, I need the 53/11 to hang on the downhills around here
    The Spectrum has the Bora 35 and 50/34, I took it out twice only but it is clearly an all rounder and I think can be great in the mountains;-)
    The Sachs has the Shamal tubular, I reach for it when I ride alone and quite a bit in the winter as well or when it's wet

They all handle the same which is normal as the geometry on all of them is pretty close. I had asked Nick for something close to the Sachs and he nailed it. The others are using the Crumpton geo or close to it (42cm CS, 61 FC, 80mm drop, 73/73 angles).

In terms of stiffness they are all stiff enough for me. The Spectrum has none of the softness I had in my Litespeed classic. In terms of feel I have a soft spot for the Sachs fork, all the others have an Enve fork (1.0 for the Crumpton, 2.0 for the Lobster and Spectrum), the Lobster as the tapered one with 44 HT, I can't really feel the difference.

In terms of comfort I have veloflex tubs on all of them and to me this is where 85% of the comfort comes from. All of these bikes are super smooth, even the Lobster with the monster alum tubes and the "less comfy" 50mm rims.

All of these bikes also clear 28mm to go baller or Paris Roubaix, so I am sort of set for life. Even though I am sure I can come up with something I "need".
    Great comparison, Lionel. If you don't mind, I'm going to edit it slightly and show it to my wife as justification for a Ti bike. I have the Alu, Carbon and Steel covered, but clearly have a gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe start a thread about thinking about a bamboo bike?

The Spectrum looks super! Is the downtube tapered or ovalized, or is that just perspective?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Maybe start a thread about thinking about a bamboo bike?

The Spectrum looks super! Is the downtube tapered or ovalized, or is that just perspective?
    Both the DT and TT have very significant shaping to them. Tom can expand on it but it's done for a purpose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Great comparison, Lionel. If you don't mind, I'm going to edit it slightly and show it to my wife as justification for a Ti bike. I have the Alu, Carbon and Steel covered, but clearly have a gap.
    If this helps I can get on a conference call to help explain it to her

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

magnesium
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom does it right. Yours and my bike will kick @ss with on hard pavement or dirt roads at home racing a crit. and centuries. I can't stop riding the thing. Crazy Tom thinks that my 9(?) year old Spectrum could be built better given his new(er) tube and custom butting abilities but I say "when you pry it from my cold dead fingers pal". I'll ride it until the thing explodes which will be never. Bad business model Kellogg ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    <<Snipped >> Bad business model Kellogg ;)
    My brother who is a financial type keeps telling me this. He is a CFO for hire in New England and even though we're still here, he thinks that I need to figure out better ways to get customers coming back time and again. Worn our or failing frames might be the trick but I can't bring myself to do that. I suck at this business.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this helps I can get on a conference call to help explain it to her
    Google Hangout > GoToMeeting.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Google Hangout > GoToMeeting.
    Ouch. Don't ask me where I work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    My brother who is a financial type keeps telling me this. He is a CFO for hire in New England and even though we're still here, he thinks that I need to figure out better ways to get customers coming back time and again. Worn our or failing frames might be the trick but I can't bring myself to do that. I suck at this business.
    You are a legend in this craft / business; like just about everything else it has it's positive and negative effects. Besides who would want to give repeat business to a builder who's frames have a moderate or high failure rate? I wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post

"Want" and "desire" are business models right?
    I wonder if that is why they sounds like stripper names...
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, rainy morning give me the opportunity to finish the build and to take some shots. This really belong in my "thinking about a Ti bike" closed thread but hey, it's closed ;-) From idea to reality.
    Some wounds never heal. I hope the nice new bike helps assuage the pain.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Ouch. Don't ask me where I work.
    Ever since I posted this my GTM has been acting up. Coincidence?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like with the pretty blue bike on Friday Night Lights, your business plan should be to give everyone a free roof rack with every purchase. That way you get people to come back several times for the same bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spectrum Ti in the house

Landed 10 days ago and my is it a great bike. Process with Tom was fantastic. Got to visit the barn, break bread with Toots and get fitted by Tom. Full build by Tom and Jeff. First time with Di2 and really impressed so far.

Ride quality? Freakin' great. Was expecting something different from my steel bikes but wow, smooth, fast and great power transmission.

Kudos to Tom, special thanks to Josh as technical advisor and if you get a chance, get to the Barn!!!

image.jpgimage.jpgAttachment 69994Attachment 69991

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum Ti in the house

This one left yesterday for the greater DC area. Off white pearl and candy red accents.

img_8265.jpg img_8276.jpg

img_8270.jpg img_8269.jpg

img_8273.jpg img_8268.jpg

img_8267.jpg img_8266.jpg
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking