User Tag List

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum

Bits n' pieces finally in place and the inaugural spin upon my old Spectrum / new Spectrum "Travel Bike" is about to begin. Heart felt gratitude to "Masters" Tom & Jeff for their dedication and skill.

DSC_0219.JPG
    DSC_0213.jpg
    DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0199.jpg
    DSC_0189.jpg
    DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0215.JPG
    DSC_0217.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean living and hard work. Those boys deliver the goods.

Congratulations young man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian,
    Congratulations. When TK posted those pictures a few weeks ago, I started getting excited about a place on his waiting list again. That is spectacular. The color combination is perfect and of course, the workmanship is flawless. I love the bar end caps, what a nice touch. How about some pictures that show the whole bike?
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've touched a soft spot in my heart with that one. My first custom frame was a Proteus in blue and silver not very different from this stunner. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    Brian,
    Congratulations. When TK posted those pictures a few weeks ago, I started getting excited about a place on his waiting list again. That is spectacular. The color combination is perfect and of course, the workmanship is flawless. I love the bar end caps, what a nice touch. How about some pictures that show the whole bike?
    It'd be my pleasure....

photo.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    photo-4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free NFS (with each bike delivered)

NFS_2x3inchLabel_Spectrum1.jpg
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian, Tom and Jeff, seamless mix of new and classic. Really well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait till Sept./Oct.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is very Bravo Alpha. Full bike pics ASAP!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally out and about the So Bay for a get reacquainted spin. She makes me very happy....

IMG_0205.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customer just sent me this pic of his new ride. Super, Di2 9070, ENVE 3.2 tub, etc. Nice.

MF1.jpg
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always loved this bike...

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently, I've posted a huge number of images of recent builds, restorations, shop shots, etc. on our Flickr Page (Flickr: Spectrum Cycles' Photostream). Instead of uploading all of them here, I figured that you all are cool enough to click through. You may want to bookmark the link and just hit it once in a while. If you want to view the images in a more organized fashion than the big photostream dump, just click on "Sets" (Spectrum Cycles' photosets on Flickr) and there you will find cleaned up versions. The most interesting set recently is the one of Shocktreatment's new steel Baller's bike. (Steel frame build, Start to Finish - a set on Flickr) In it, we document almost every step along the way from picking the tubing to the final clear coats.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    Recently, I've posted a huge number of images of recent builds, restorations, shop shots, etc. on our Flickr Page (Flickr: Spectrum Cycles' Photostream). Instead of uploading all of them here, I figured that you all are cool enough to click through. You may want to bookmark the link and just hit it once in a while. If you want to view the images in a more organized fashion than the big photostream dump, just click on "Sets" (Spectrum Cycles' photosets on Flickr) and there you will find cleaned up versions. The most interesting set recently is the one of Shocktreatment's new steel Baller's bike. (Steel frame build, Start to Finish - a set on Flickr) In it, we document almost every step along the way from picking the tubing to the final clear coats.
    Great pics Tom, loved the photo stream on the making of the Shocktreatment Baller's bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are about pack this one up for it's trip in the Brown trucks out to Arizona. When Nancy ordered this bike, if figured that it would look "right" if for no other reason that she is quite a good rider with a wonderful natural position. But Nancy also happens to be a professional graphic artist who runs an advertising agency. She came up with the pattern for the paint job. It is a quiet and very classy look. Works with the components. The bike is just right. This one has given me a few ideas for this fall when I paint my nine year old road bike for the first time. Cool. Enjoy the shots.

img_6830.jpg img_6831.jpg

img_6832.jpg img_6833.jpg

img_6834.jpg img_6838.jpg

img_6837.jpg img_6836.jpg

img_6839.jpg
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    Here’s the process of acquiring this frame, and some pictures of the built-up bike. The whole experience was great from start to finish thanks to Tom and Jeff.

It started at Josh’s camp this past spring. I mentioned to Tom that I was thinking seriously about a new road frame and asked about his delivery time. To my surprise, the time was only 3 to 4 months. I own a 2003 Spectrum that I bought used in 2005, and that has been my main bike ever since. It rides beautifully, so you may ask why a new bike? I was looking for something that I could bolt fenders on. I was also hoping I could get something without toe-overlap, which is annoying when zigzagging up steep climbs. Finally, if you have the means for a new bike you can always come up with reasons...

At the Baller’s Ride in May, I talked to Tom again, and asked him if he could design a frame for me that rode as well as my existing
    one, but with no toe overlap and room for fenders. He confidently replied that he could design one that was better. To get started, I just needed to send him an email with my requirements.

The requirements were simple: A steel frame for fast club rides that handles well, especially on winding mountain descents; one that would take 25mm tires with fenders and 28mm without. Tom wrote back and said that type of bike makes a huge amount of sense. We set up an appointment to come up to Spectrum’s barn in Breinigsville, PA for the following week.

The fitting process took two solid hours, but was a complete pleasure. The barn is brimming with cycling history. Tom was
    restoring a Raleigh Team Banana time trial frame as well as an early 70s Peugeot PX10E. Also hanging on the wall was the track frame of former Junior World Champion sprinter Sarah Uhl, in pearl white of course.

The first part of the session involved sitting in a chair and talking. Tom asked me about my riding history and preferences. He inquired about my ailments and injuries, and spotted right away that I had tight neck and shoulder issues from a past broken vertebra. We talked about foot problems, saddle issues, and just about everything else under the sun. I’ve been riding seriously since I was a Junior racer over 40 years ago, but I never fail to learn something new when I talk with Tom.

After the talking was done, I changed into my kit and got on my bike mounted to Tom’s Cateye Cyclosimulator. I pedaled
    at an easy pace for a short while, then Tom began to crank up the resistance. He had me stand then sit, and stand then sit, all while maintaining my speed. That went on for a good half hour, until I was out of breath and dripping with sweat. From the session, we decided that my reach should be a little farther out.

By the time I finished showering and changing back to street clothes after the Cyclosimulator workout, Tom had already sketched out the frame design. Next, I answered questions about the frame details: braze-ons, fork crown, dropouts, paint scheme, and so on.

That was it, and a couple of days later I spotted the pictures posted in Friday Night Lights on VS showing that Jeff had already started cutting the tubes and fabricating lugs for my frame! I followed Jeff’s and Tom’s progress for the next few weeks with wonder, admiring the fantastic level of craftsmanship.

Then on a Friday, less than two months later, Tom sent me an email saying my frame was done, and would ship out on Monday. On Tuesday, he sent another email telling me to go home because my frame was being delivered. Talk about service! The frame arrived boxed and impeccably packed. All I had to do was unwrap it and cut the steerer down to my preferred length. I assembled the bike, with mostly new-old-stock Chorus 10 speed components, to be compatible with my old bike. The build went very smoothly - the bottom bracket shell had already be expertly faced and tapped, and the 1-1/8” steerer was thin-walled and a breeze to cut. The wheels went into the dropouts with no effort.

Finally, on Thursday evening I was able to ride my new Spectrum on our weekly club hill ride. Bottom line -- Iʼm extremely pleased. The bike is fantastic and rides like an old friend, but is much better looking.

IMG_1053.jpg IMG_1054.jpg IMG_1058.jpg IMG_1082.jpg IMG_1068.jpg IMG_1069.jpgIMG_0414.jpg photo-8.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
    Hell, that bike alone is reason enough for me to get my outta-shape self to the Thursday ride in Alexandria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, fantastic story and beautiful bike! Hope you ride the hell out of it and hope to see you at Ballers again next year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride with Pete regularly and got to see this new beauty up close and personal (mostly sitting on Pete's wheel!) on Sunday's ride - outstanding! And i love both his and Tom's photo montage documentation of the build.