User Tag List

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum

And it's done! Click here for the full story of the finish work. I added a few shots of the sanding process and a bunch of finals. Joe will have it tomorrow. By the way, the final shot is the top of the ISP showing the composite reinforcement. Without that, the seat tube would have been neither stiff enough nor strong enough. There you have it.
    Last edited by Tom Kellogg; 08-04-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, uh, I mean, wow, some bike. Tom, can I have another? not this year, but....
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the time came for a new bike - by which I mean when the "I want" in my head pinned the "I shouldn't" and held it motionless for a ten count - I knew there was only one place for me to go. I have the good fortune of living in the Lehigh Valley, and Tom Kellogg's barn is short left hander off one of my favorite routes.

My old ride, a sweet Orbea Orca, was a delight largely because Tom had taken the stock set up I had and fitted it to my body as best he could. I rode - and loved - that bike for 6 years, but by the middle of last season, I had started to be able to gauge the grade of a climb by the volume of the creak coming from my bb shell. I thought about just buying a new Orca or some similar carbon wonder bike that was so light and stiff that after a ride, I'd be able to use it as a zeppelin. But then I thought about what Tom had done to my Orca using nothing more than a tape measure, an ancient angle measurement tool, and his eyes and decided that if I was going to do my part to stimulate the economy, I'd do it right.

I drove out to Tom's barn in March for a fitting. I rolled my old bike up his ramp and started to change into my bibs. Tom stopped me. First, he wanted to talk. We spent at least an hour talking about riding styles, metallurgy, goals, stress risers, favorite rides, modulus, miles per week, the qualities of different metals, pain points, carbon economics, my gut, frame feel, more about my gut (I was feeling insecure), colors, designs, logos, fonts, mutual friends, and closed with a consensus that riding a bike was awesome, especially here.

Then I changed and mounted my bike, now affixed to an ancient trainer. Tom took a few measurements, compared them agains the measurements he had of me from a few years back, and took a few more. He sat to my right, and I pedaled. He sat to my left, and I pedaled. He sat on the floor in front of me, hugging his knees like an upset toddler, and I pedaled. Then he told me to stop. Did I have any knee pain, he asked. Why, yes, I said, and I described the ache behind my left knee that had bothered me for years. He asked for my insole and walked away to grab a shop towel and blue masking tape. Before long, he returned with a perfectly folded shim taped to the underside of my insole. That took care of the knee pain. Forever, it seems. I felt like asking him to lay his hands on me and cure my high blood pressure.

When we were done, a couple of hours after I walked in the barn, we had agreed upon a classically paneled British Racing Green and cream fully butted titanium frame. I'd hear from him at the top of July.

And sure enough, I did. (Although, I confess that he heard from me a few times in the middle there.)

I drove out to his barn again, this time with my 11 year old with me. Now, if you have children, you know that 11 year old boys can be hyper critical of their father's taste. But the bike that hung there awaiting me disarmed even his tween sass. Dad, he said, that is gorgeous. I have to agree.

But more than that, it is a beautiful machine. My Spectrum - and now, after a month of nearly daily rides, it is My Spectrum - manages to be both more stable and more responsive than my previous bike. I didn't know that was possible. It disappears underneath me, except when I don't want it to. I'm more comfortable, a little more upright and yet set up in a faster position. Er, how? And when I put my meager power down into the pedals, the bike just goes like stink. I'm not a racer. I've never enjoyed that, but on this bike, I feel like I may change my mind.

My Spectrum and I, we're still honeymooning, I know. But it's going to be a long and beautiful relationship. Thanks, Tom.

Jeremy Katz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    And it's done! Click here for the full story of the finish work. I added a few shots of the sanding process and a bunch of finals. Joe will have it tomorrow. By the way, the final shot is the top of the ISP showing the composite reinforcement. Without that, the seat tube would have been neither stiff enough nor strong enough. There you have it.
    Gonna get to building the moment it comes in. Amped.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    Gonna get to building the moment it comes in. Amped.

Fortunately, it arrives on a Friday. All nighter is called for. What's the beer going to be for this one?
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fortunately, it arrives on a Friday. All nighter is called for. What's the beer going to be for this one?
    Going to have to think on it... but it'll probably be Chimay Blue.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it's done!
    Wow...that's really stunning.

Tom: Looking at this bike, and the one you make for Thas prior, I wonder about your seat stays (Dorris Day style). All the other tubes on both of those frames are pretty huge, but the seat stays are relatively thin (let's say "graceful"). Is there a Terraplane-ish rear suspension idea going on there? Joe's old frame is stout in the right places but does have some plushness happening at the back. Just wondering if that's a signature Spectrum thing that you do in your designs.

Thanks for posting all this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Katz View Post
    When the time came for a new bike - by which I mean when the "I want" in my head pinned the "I shouldn't" and held it motionless for a ten count - I knew there was only one place for me to go. I have the good fortune of living in the Lehigh Valley, and Tom Kellogg's barn is short left hander off one of my favorite routes.

My old ride, a sweet Orbea Orca, was a delight largely because Tom had taken the stock set up I had and fitted it to my body as best he could. I rode - and loved - that bike for 6 years, but by the middle of last season, I had started to be able to gauge the grade of a climb by the volume of the creak coming from my bb shell. I thought about just buying a new Orca or some similar carbon wonder bike that was so light and stiff that after a ride, I'd be able to use it as a zeppelin. But then I thought about what Tom had done to my Orca using nothing more than a tape measure, an ancient angle measurement tool, and his eyes and decided that if I was going to do my part to stimulate the economy, I'd do it right.

I drove out to Tom's barn in March for a fitting. I rolled my old bike up his ramp and started to change into my bibs. Tom stopped me. First, he wanted to talk. We spent at least an hour talking about riding styles, metallurgy, goals, stress risers, favorite rides, modulus, miles per week, the qualities of different metals, pain points, carbon economics, my gut, frame feel, more about my gut (I was feeling insecure), colors, designs, logos, fonts, mutual friends, and closed with a consensus that riding a bike was awesome, especially here.

Then I changed and mounted my bike, now affixed to an ancient trainer. Tom took a few measurements, compared them agains the measurements he had of me from a few years back, and took a few more. He sat to my right, and I pedaled. He sat to my left, and I pedaled. He sat on the floor in front of me, hugging his knees like an upset toddler, and I pedaled. Then he told me to stop. Did I have any knee pain, he asked. Why, yes, I said, and I described the ache behind my left knee that had bothered me for years. He asked for my insole and walked away to grab a shop towel and blue masking tape. Before long, he returned with a perfectly folded shim taped to the underside of my insole. That took care of the knee pain. Forever, it seems. I felt like asking him to lay his hands on me and cure my high blood pressure.

When we were done, a couple of hours after I walked in the barn, we had agreed upon a classically paneled British Racing Green and cream fully butted titanium frame. I'd hear from him at the top of July.

And sure enough, I did. (Although, I confess that he heard from me a few times in the middle there.)

I drove out to his barn again, this time with my 11 year old with me. Now, if you have children, you know that 11 year old boys can be hyper critical of their father's taste. But the bike that hung there awaiting me disarmed even his tween sass. Dad, he said, that is gorgeous. I have to agree.

But more than that, it is a beautiful machine. My Spectrum - and now, after a month of nearly daily rides, it is My Spectrum - manages to be both more stable and more responsive than my previous bike. I didn't know that was possible. It disappears underneath me, except when I don't want it to. I'm more comfortable, a little more upright and yet set up in a faster position. Er, how? And when I put my meager power down into the pedals, the bike just goes like stink. I'm not a racer. I've never enjoyed that, but on this bike, I feel like I may change my mind.

My Spectrum and I, we're still honeymooning, I know. But it's going to be a long and beautiful relationship. Thanks, Tom.

Jeremy Katz
    I need to meet this Kellogg character. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Katz View Post
    Looks great. Congrats!

[and I say race it]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeremy:
    Where did that bar tape come from and what color is it? My Spectrum has very similar colors. I am intrigued
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post

[and I say race it]
    I just might do that. But maybe not our local training crit. Quite a few of my friends race that, and they still respect me. I'd like to keep it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    Where did that bar tape come from and what color is it?
    It is Deda Ivory tape. QBP sells it, and so any shop that has a QBP account (i.e., most) ought to be able to order it for you, even if they don't stock it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
    Not only that, but he is an awfully nice guy, as is his partner Jeff. And, Mr. Saab 2000, he drives a Saab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    Wow...that's really stunning.

Tom: Looking at this bike, and the one you make for Thas prior, I wonder about your seat stays (Dorris Day style). All the other tubes on both of those frames are pretty huge, but the seat stays are relatively thin (let's say "graceful"). Is there a Terraplane-ish rear suspension idea going on there? Joe's old frame is stout in the right places but does have some plushness happening at the back. Just wondering if that's a signature Spectrum thing that you do in your designs.

Thanks for posting all this!
    Bryan:

Thanks. We call it the "Mae West" look. To be honest, when we were developing those stays about ten years ago, we were able to measure a small increase in vertical compliance. However, to be honest the increase in compliance is small enough that I really doubt that anyone could actually feel it in the real world. My bike has those stays and all I can say is that "it sure rides nice." So the reality comes down to looks. I just love the way they look. Helps?
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom:

I wish that youn would stop posting such beautiful paint schemes, as my non S&S Ti is due for a paint job that I cannot afford......

Beautiful work though.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Tom:

I wish that youn would stop posting such beautiful paint schemes, as my non S&S Ti is due for a paint job that I cannot afford......

Beautiful work though.
    Not my fault that you are lookin'! Thank you for the compliment.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've finally done what we needed to do years ago. We got professional help. No, not THAT.

We got professional help from a web developer who's strengths include technical savvy, but who also concentrates on visual appeal, ease of use and site speed. A breath of fresh air here at Spectrum.

Click on the link, Spectrum Cycles ,take a look. Click around the site. Let us know what works for you and if you have any problems navigating the site.

Be sure to hit the Gallery, pulled in from Flickr, and the Blog, hosted by Tumblr.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Really, first class site. I would be shocked if this dosen't enhance your business. Didn't see anything about your wheel building? You are pretty darn good at that too. Best of luck....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big improvement over the old site, does much better justice to your work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job Tom. Really like the new site.