User Tag List

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum

I went on vacation on the day I got the frame! I almost took it with me as just a frame and slept with it.

It's very nice looking, at least what I can remember of it.

I will be more than happy to post pics when I return.

TK builds very nice stuff!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Spectrum

I just picked up my Spectrum.

Here is my old ride. Served me well for over 10 years.

sp1.jpg

Here is my new ride.

spec4.jpg
    spec3.jpg
    spec2.jpg
    spec1.jpg

Great working with Tom.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom's paintwork is so nice, I nearly forgot how good a clearcoated spectrum looks. The BB cluster looks amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by kempenfeltkelly View Post
    I just picked up my Spectrum.
    That's a Serotta fork, yes? Their carbon is gorgeous! How about a ride report???
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    That's a Serotta fork, yes? Their carbon is gorgeous! ... snipped ...
    Yes, that is an S3, 8.5. We get them in the OE condition; raw carbon, no finish. They come to us, not "out of the mold" since the folks at Serotta are kind enough to fully clean up any tool marks. All I had to do with Rob's fork was to mask off the drops and steerer, shoot four coats of clear, sand it down and shoot another two coats of clear ... done. Serotta makes it easy on us.

For Rob's bike, the S3 made extra sense because the steerers are very long and we could choose a stiffer lay up. Rob isn't terribly heavy, but he sure is tall. In fact, Rob is even taller than that guy who is Too Tall. Just look at the apparent size of those wheels!
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride is great.
    I fall into the category of "An abused child doesn't know they are being abused". I didn't know what I was missing. I've only been on 4 rides so far, approx. 40km rides. With my old bike my back would get stiff, hands and feet get numb, etc. Felt pretty beat up after a ride.
    Not so anymore. Now the issue is getting into shape and going for longer rides.
    Only regret - not asking Tom for a cup of his freshly roasted and brewed coffee. Hopefully I’ll have a reason to be back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7/06/11 I'm going to try to walk through a frame finishing from start to finish. I may loose my train, but let's see how this goes. This first set of pics are of ThasFace's new ISP Ti frame. It walked in under a guy in a brown uniform yesterday afternoon. Seven sent it out last Friday. These pics are completely untouched. I didn't even blow off the dust or wipe it down.

Because a batch of frames takes a couple of weeks to paint, I will be adding to this post from time to time until Joe's frame is ready to ship. During the process, if you have any questions about the frame or the finishing, E-mail me at spectrum.tom@gmail.com and I will clip your questions and answer them within this post to keep everything in one place. Kinda' like a VelociBlog.

JB4.jpg JB2.jpg

JB3.jpg JB5.jpg

JB6.jpg JB7.jpg

Blue Jays: ... The diameter of that titanium downtube looks enormous in the photograph above! It almost looks like it has been shaped in two directions or something.

Tom: Yes and yes. The diameter is 1.75". Joe asked for a kick ass race bike, stiffer than his previous one. This'll do it. The ovalizing you see is there for a very simple reason. If we had left the tube round, it would not have fit either the head tube or the bottom bracket. Ovalizing enables us to miter the tubes to fit properly.

7/8/11 Jeff won't have the frame to me for paint 'till the middle of next week, but I need to get ready ahead of time since it takes time to get custom graphics made. Below, find an image of some of the basic stuff I'll be using on Joe's frame. All of the lettering will be windowed, ie. either titanium or carbon will show through inside the letters and they will then have Belgium Blue pin striped outlines. I create the graphics here with Corel Draw, a windows based vector art program. My somewhat cryptic instructions for my vinyl cutter are included in the file. When I converted the file to jpg, the shade of blue changed to more of a light turquoise. Not to worry, Joe will be eating frits and drinking beer soon enough.

ThasFaceGraphics.jpg

7/14/11 More work in progress. Slow since I am painting a bunch of other frames at the same time.

Directions to myself and the actual graphics output:
    jb8.jpg jb12.jpg

Raw ENVE Fork and sanded inner surface:
    jb9.jpg jb10.jpg

Base clear on sanded ENVE fork and applying the stencils:
    jb13.jpg jb14.jpg

Stencils on fork and down tube:
    jb15.jpg jb16.jpg

White accent paint on DT and removing stencils:
    jb17.jpg jb18.jpg

7/26/11 This part is slow because there is so much clear coating between removal of stencils, addition of outlines and final clearing.

img_4212.jpg img_4209.jpg

img_4222.jpg

After 11 coats of clear, lots of sanding to get it all smooth.

img_4225.jpg img_4228.jpg

img_4227.jpg img_4226.jpg

8/04/11 One dry gloss coat and one heavy 80% matte clear. Badddd Ass!

jb27.jpg jb25.jpg

jb24.jpg jb21.jpg

jb22.jpg jb26.jpg

jb23.jpg jb20.jpg

And that's all she wrote.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Kellogg; 08-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diameter of that titanium downtube looks enormous in the photograph above! :-)
    It almost looks like it has been shaped in two directions or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeeeeericed, that looks so so good. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to keep it together during this wait.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    Keeeeeericed, that looks so so good. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to keep it together during this wait.
    You KNOW that is the other bike tom is going to send me.

He said you didn't need near as good as bike as that!

LOL!!!!!

It's really good looking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    Pictures and stuff
    Okay, I have a question: when does this go on the bike?
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    Okay, I have a question: when does this go on the bike?
    We welded on one of the smaller ones this morning. It took the frame weight up from 1.2 kilo to 71 kilo. Hope that is not too much.
    Last edited by Tom Kellogg; 07-07-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful classic track bike on Picfest # 121; I love traditional steel lugged frames, especially those of Spectrum quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
    Beautiful classic track bike on Picfest # 121; I love traditional steel lugged frames, especially those of Spectrum quality.
    Thanks. Really, the best part of the project was the customer pick up. Tears and all. Way cool. Go back to FNL#: 121 for the full story. A couple of shots of that frame:

bob8.jpg bob6.jpg

bob3.jpg bob2.jpg

bob5.jpg bob4.jpg
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom,

Part of what I really like about the bikes that come out of your shop is the breadth of their function and form. Its way more than just aesthetics. Its custom done right.

I love the story about your T-town friend. He looks like he was quite a powerhouse back in the day.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ThasFace, you had better rip it up when you show up to fast group ride or a race on that thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    ThasFace, you had better rip it up when you show up to fast group ride or a race on that thing.
    That's what the KERS system is for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you push that button they're in for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    Thanks. Really, the best part of the project was the customer pick up. Tears and all. Way cool. Go back to FNL#: 121 for the full story. A couple of shots of that frame:

bob8.jpg bob6.jpg

bob3.jpg bob2.jpg

bob5.jpg bob4.jpg
    Journey Back to the Track
    What goes around comes around! Back in the 70’s, I was lucky enough to get involved with cycling, mainly thru the guidance of my friend Vince. With his encouragement, got to know Jerry Casale, got involved with Hill Cycle and rode with them, thru the good years!! Some of my best memories are from that time period. People from that time of my life are still friends to this day. Bruce Donaghy, Vince Bonanno, Dave Maver, Phil Hendricks. We were all there when Trexlertown was first being talked about, to when construction first started on the track. I remember us riding on the track before it was even completed, having to stop & turn around to avoid the last big gap, waiting for the last concrete to be poured. Jerry Casale found me a beautiful Pogliaghi track bike that was, for me, the ultimate bike!! Track racing was my life. Good times, great memories!

As I got older & after a few mishaps (accidents!!!), things led me away from cycling. I still had that great group of friends, who were still riding, but the closest I came to getting back & riding with them was when I told them, “Well, at least I think about riding every now & then!”

Fast forward many years (too many to count), I found that my knees had become so bad I could hardly walk. I finally made the decision to consider getting total knee replacement surgery. I was fortunate to get in with one of the best knee surgeons in the area, Dr Scott Schoifet. I had both knees done, 6 weeks apart, took 4 months off from work, totally committed to doing all the required rehab to take full advantage of my new knees. Rehab wasn’t fun, but at the end, I could walk, no pain, no problems, no restrictions. This is when my friend Vince saw an opening to get me back into cycling. “Hey,” he told me, “no excuses now!!” I thought about it & guess I had to agree. But, I’m sure I would be able to come up with many excuses as to why it wouldn’t work. To start with, I really didn’t like the new bike designs, the new technology. If I was going to get back, if even only to ride around the track a few times, to “remember when,” it would have to be with what I had ridden & raced with, something like my old Pogliaghi. Vince & I spent some time trying to find a bike from “my days,” soon realizing that this might not be the way to go. Hey, here was my excuse - gee I would like to, but can’t find a bike!! Then, I made the “mistake” of talking to Bruce Donaghy, who suggested that maybe I should get in touch with Tom Kellogg to talk to him. Bruce placed the call to Tom, telling him to expect a call from Bob, and to take care of him. Well after that first sit-down with Tom, I was hooked. I brought along a picture of my Pogliaghi, told Tom this is what I rode, this is what I wanted, and could he help me? I guess I should have picked up on the excitement in his voice - here he was having someone asking him to build a new track frame, the “old way,” the way they were meant to be built! So, after having my fitting & many discussions, Vince & I left Tom’s place, with the mission of now trying to find NOS Campy parts that would be installed on the frame when it was complete. This led us thru the winter. I was actually having fun again, searching for Campy stuff all over the world and finding some real “steals,” like a pair of 36 spoke Campy Record High Flange wheels, that were used as a backup set of wheels in the 1988 British Cycling Championship, like brand new!! During this time & in anticipation of getting back on the bike again, I took the opportunity to try & get somewhat “back in shape,” figuring new knees deserved a new me. So far, I’ve lost over 35 lbs. More to go, but it’s a start. I do feel better for sure.

Then recently, I got that call from Tom saying the bike was DONE, come on out & pick it up. It’s really hard to express how I felt when Vince & I walked down into Tom’s shop & there it was, in the bike stand. Words can’t really describe the feeling; it was beautiful, beyond imagination. As Tom & Jeff were pointing out little intricate details, I could again sense the excitement they’d had while they were building the bike - I think they shared, along with me, the feelings, the memories that the bike, those earlier times had meant to all of us. A Happy Day for all of us. The bike now sits at Vince’s, needing only the seat post & bars, BUT on the way back from Tom’s on the turnpike, Vince just happened to plant a bug in my ear, saying, “Gee Bob, maybe we should get another spare set of wheels, something better for training on the road. Then we could tie and solder the British Championship wheels.” There I go with another research project- spent the last week searching for NOS Campy Record 36 hole hubs & guess what? I found a new set in Berlin, Germany & they are on their way!!

Don’t really know how this will all end, but we’ll eventually get the bike finished, I’ll go out to T-Town, give Bruce, Tom, Vince & Dave a call, have us all meet up & take a few laps. Probably not much more than that, though I might have to take Bruce up on his offer to give me a “good lead out like the old days.”

I think I’ll accept his offer & the journey will be complete.

Tom, thanks for being a BIG part of the journey
    Bob Vichko

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BobnJake View Post
    Journey Back to the Track
    Cool story and that frame is a real stunner.