Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum

reverse mullett? i guess that's party in the front, business in the back. Mel, mine is a candy apple red and you're right, a stunner (ERDR). yours is sharp too. what is that color called? regardless of the color, you'll love it. i talked a friend into getting a coupled spectrum because he travels so much. now he rides his spectrum every time, travel or not. i'm actually in line for another, steel this time. i see some decision problems coming but what a pleasant dilemma.
    enjoy.
    s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ERDR View Post
    what is that color called?
    It's a pearl orange that I think Tom modified. I asked for a percula clownfish orange, though having had a number of clownfish over the years, I know there's a good bit of color variation in them.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really?
    nothing since september?
    where are spectrum buyers?
    why aren't they posting here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor excuse but I am waiting for a camera. My oldest, a journalism major, took mine. My new one is the black steel with the ISP that you may have seen. Since picking it up in March, it has snowed, sleeted, rained or been freezing with icy roads every one of my dedicated days off to ride. I was so psyched because the prediction for Thursday was in the 50's. Now it is expected to get even warmer with good chance of rain. I was hoping to save this one for good weather only. Bummer. Tom is painting my Ti. I have an old cross bike I set up with fenders. Looks like that will have to do.
    Pictures of my new steel coming soon. Maybe I will just have to buy a new camera.
    S

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave's post inspired me to take pictures of my Spectrum. It's a new-to-me frame as of about a year ago; an incredibly lucky find and great deal on eBay. The bike has slowly been cobbled together as parts have changed hands, and in each of its iterations it has been the most comfortable and enjoyable bicycle I have ever owned. And a joy to look at, to boot.

Cheers,
    Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samtwt View Post
    new-to-me ... the most comfortable and enjoyable bicycle I have ever owned.
    eBay? Really??
    Incredibly lucky, indeed.
    Congrats and cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice find indeed, samtwt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow -- that's great. nice find!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who won the champion rainbow riding a spectrum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Pro Worlds was Danny Clark in the Keirin, twice. Then in Masters worlds there have a few more in different age groups and different events. We got the Silver back in '78 in the Tandem event when the Czechs drove Jerry and Leigh off the track and Jeffy broke his collar bone. This was after our guys beat them in the first round. Helps?
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    The Pro Worlds was Danny Clark in the Keirin, twice. Then in Masters worlds there have a few more in different age groups and different events. We got the Silver back in '78 in the Tandem event when the Czechs drove Jerry and Leigh off the track and Jeffy broke his collar bone. This was after our guys beat them in the first round. Helps?
    hey, this is a gallery thread - we're gonna need pictures ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post
    hey, this is a gallery thread - we're gonna need pictures ;)
    We've got an issue with that. Danny's and the tandem medals happened before photography was invented. I'm so old and have been doing this for so long that my glory days pre-date photography. ;-)

Actually, if any one has access to Cycling News (if that is the right one) from the winter of '81, Danny and his bike made the cover during that time. I think that the shot was of Danny and his 6-day partner during an exchange. My old logo is front and center. I just forget the name of the British cycling magazine of that era. There should be a couple of photos available from the '78 worlds of Jerry and Leigh on the podium, sling and all.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an old Winning Mag. from 1983 that has pics of Art and Gibby on your bikes at the World Track Championships from that year. They are both red with the Kellogg logo. I'll scan and post them when I get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What fun! Those striped jerseys on Gil and Art are some of the earliest Lycra Jerseys ever. We had them made for the Spectrum / Shimano team that year. The pic of Danny is on his "new" frame after he finally destroyed his Kellogg in the crash when he broke his hip. Note the hairnets still being used.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool scans!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom,

You mentioned in a previous post how particular Danny was with the geo of his frames. Can you recall the pertinent details, and how his geo differed from what you might have normally specced had you been given free reign? In that side on shot, it almost looks like he needs a split down tube so that his front tire has enough clearance!

Cheers,
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got my Spectrum 30th Anniversary built up. Hope you like it.

Tom built the frame with Cinelli lugs and Columbus tubing of course. Around the same time I did my fitting at Tom's shop in beautiful East Pennsylvania, Peter Weigle got a lot of Campy Gran Comp hubs and drilled in some extra holes and polished them nicely. I had Peter White build them up with E.A.I. solid axles and Synergy rims. Then the last couple of months, Peter Weigle took up fluting and polishing some Stronglight crank arms. Not my original crank set choice, but could not think of a better match for the frame.

As for the rest of the build - the stem is Cinelli, pedals and brake levers Campy Record (the levers had original rubber hoods which - alas - tore when I tried to pul them back to run the cable), handlebars are Nitto, the bottle cage is a NOS TA with a gold plastic top that is pretty close to the bike color. I have NOS Campy Record calipers to match the hoods, but I like being able to stop, so I am using Shimano traditional reach dual pivot calipers. Seat post is a Thomson Masterpiece. Seat is Berthoud. Tape is Viva cotton. I like to twine the ends but that does not mean I am going to shellac the tape. Bar plugs are Hope. Tires on primary wheel set are Grand Bois.

Those days I can take the bike to a path (Chicago streets are full of tire killers) I built up a tubular wheel set around some Campy NR hubs, Rigida rims and a lovely amazingly light Campy FW in back, Paris-Roubaix tubulars.

Now if only the Chicago weather comes around so I can ride it.

[Sorry for the jump - I am not certain how to upload pics to this site] Flickr: MatthewJoly's Photostream

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really should have documented the ordering process, as Tom and Jeff were great to deal with.

I submitted my order Winter months '10. While on a business trip to New York in April I took a side trip to the Spectrum facility in Northeast Pennsylvania. Tom has a very nice shop built near his home. After having lunch and some great coffee with Tom, he took me a tour of the shop. Then Tom and I sat down and thoroughly discussed my cycling history, what I was hoping for wth the bike, options, colors, etc. After that we had an extensive fitting session.

Intereview to delivery was a little over 8 months. Tom kept me well informed along the way. Communications confirmed my impression that Spectrum is a well organized customer friendly shop. Those who take the link to my bike can see the workmanship and attention to detail.

I certainly would recommend Spectrum to anyone looking to have a custom built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Mathew, that is a pretty bicycle. What a classic work of art.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang Matthew, hats off to you my friend for the passion and follow thru. Not just anyone will take on an project like that. Looks great and I'll bet that give you many yrs. of good service.