Thread: Specialized

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    It looks nice, and the bar drop looks considerable too!
    Erm, yeah... so much so that I almost wish this comment hadn’t reminded me that I hadn’t actually measured that...! Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This probably isn't to the tastes of most here but I'll share it anyway....

In that hypothetical "you can only have one bike" situation this would be the one I'd pick if none of my friends had bikes. Simply put it's the most fun, most versatile, best riding "road" bike I've owned.

If the idea of suspension, electric shifting, disc brakes and a motor (gasp!) doesn't have you running to you can read all about it on CyclingTips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know if you want a set of carbon fenders for that beast, Tristan...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree an E-Bike is great for the elderly, injured, disabled or some other issue (heart disease etc) but otherwise NO...you are just lazy.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting used to the idea of buying an e-mtb. Maybe I will get used to the idea of buying an e-road bike too. I am not yet there but as a commuter I can see the appeal. I could probably also see the appeal of an e-gravel bike before an e-road bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-bikes are great for lots of things, and I own one myself, although I ride my road bike 90% of the time.

The problem with them is the same thing that makes them great, which is that they get more people out on the road who don't usually ride bikes. Here along the Coast in San Diego, I can't tell you how many knuckleheads ride them having no awareness of their surroundings, other cyclists, or cars. There's a stretch of road along the Coast that's busy with beachgoers and cars parking where e-cyclists routinely ride in the wrong direction because it's more convenient, and just because they feel like it. They also tend to pass you without warning at a pretty good clip sometimes. Minor rant. Great idea meets same old problem: can't fix stupid or self-centered I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
    E-bikes are great for lots of things, and I own one myself, although I ride my road bike 90% of the time.

The problem with them is the same thing that makes them great, which is that they get more people out on the road who don't usually ride bikes. Here along the Coast in San Diego, I can't tell you how many knuckleheads ride them having no awareness of their surroundings, other cyclists, or cars. There's a stretch of road along the Coast that's busy with beachgoers and cars parking where e-cyclists routinely ride in the wrong direction because it's more convenient, and just because they feel like it. They also tend to pass you without warning at a pretty good clip sometimes. Minor rant. Great idea meets same old problem: can't fix stupid or self-centered I suppose.
    Only because I am curious and used to live near UTC when I was first out of college, but didn't cycle then, where in SD does what you are describing occur?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Near South Carlsbad State Beach, just north of La Costa on 101. Ponto. Twice in the last week--e-bikes heading north against traffic, and several times before. There's a lot going on there too, with folks parking and seeking beach parking.

Pretty cool on another front, though, is I see a lot of surfers who use e-bikes, board along the side of the bike, to get to the beach. Pretty nice way to do it, as parking can be pretty much impossible when the surf is up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn´t a big fan of e-Bikes and said they were for lazy people but as my company produces them and my old MTB World Champion pro Jose Hermida and I are still on the road together at promotional events and some races he gets to ride one every now and then. We were in Monaco the week before the lockdown in March at the first ever official UCI e-Bike World Cup where he took part in the race.....his maximum pulse was the same as when he won the Worlds in Mont St Ann back in 2010!!! Used properly they make you work as hard as a normal bike, I´m still not gonna be riding one for many, many years!
    Savine Cycles
    savinecycles on Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been passed by a few e-bikes on one of our local hills that is on the way to some pretty good trails. I still scratch my head when a person passes me like I am standing still with a cadence of about 60 not even looking like they are trying. In the meantime I am standing up in my smallest gear hoping I won't pop before the top of the hill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow the same old elitist pish trotted out about ebikes. What a surprise.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Agree an E-Bike is great for the elderly, injured, disabled or some other issue (heart disease etc) but otherwise NO...you are just lazy.
    This comment makes me think you haven't spent any time riding an ebike? If you have you'll realise it's totally false: you can ride as hard as you like on an ebike but it also means you can take it easy if that's what you want. On this e-road Creo I get a decent 1.5h ride before work in lycra then can ride up 250 vertical meters to get home in jeans without breaking a sweat.

On the e-mountain bike I get home from a 3 hour ride totally cracked...it's way harder than a non-e bike because I don't stop at the top of each climb to rest. Instead I climb at 80-90% and just to over the top and keep riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so are they still holding the cancellara tiny motor technology back from the public or wut

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    This comment makes me think you haven't spent any time riding an ebike? If you have you'll realise it's totally false: you can ride as hard as you like on an ebike but it also means you can take it easy if that's what you want.
    I think this is a bit more true for the Specialized ebikes than many others. I attended an ebike expo, and I rode more than 20 models from different manufacturers in a single day. Most were torque-forward town bikes, and their motors felt like motors. Their lowest level of assist was still more than I wanted. The Specialized was one of the few where the bike felt like a road bike and the motor assisted unobtrusively. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Creo for commuting. The eco mode assist of 30% or so would be perfect to get my 25-mile commute time into something I could reasonably do both ways daily within my desired schedule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VA_MEL View Post
    I think this is a bit more true for the Specialized ebikes than many others. I attended an ebike expo, and I rode more than 20 models from different manufacturers in a single day. Most were torque-forward town bikes, and their motors felt like motors. Their lowest level of assist was still more than I wanted. The Specialized was one of the few where the bike felt like a road bike and the motor assisted unobtrusively. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Creo for commuting. The eco mode assist of 30% or so would be perfect to get my 25-mile commute time into something I could reasonably do both ways daily within my desired schedule.
    Do it. I'm riding my Creo almost exclusively and it's simply incredible. I spend most of the time on 30% support but crank it up for steep hills or like this morning tired legs and a horrid headwind. It's a simply incredible bike and is clearly the future of cycling for soooo many people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it. I'm riding my Creo almost exclusively and it's simply incredible. I spend most of the time on 30% support but crank it up for steep hills or like this morning tired legs and a horrid headwind. It's a simply incredible bike and is clearly the future of cycling for soooo many people.
    Well said.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This comment makes me think you haven't spent any time riding an ebike? If you have you'll realise it's totally false: you can ride as hard as you like on an ebike but it also means you can take it easy if that's what you want. On this e-road Creo I get a decent 1.5h ride before work in lycra then can ride up 250 vertical meters to get home in jeans without breaking a sweat.

On the e-mountain bike I get home from a 3 hour ride totally cracked...it's way harder than a non-e bike because I don't stop at the top of each climb to rest. Instead I climb at 80-90% and just to over the top and keep riding.
    I don’t need to ride an e-bike to make a comment...I unfortunately don’t agree with you.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    No dislikes, now that I have (hopefully) sorted the creaking BB.

I’m not blown away yet, but I need to do some longer rides including a couple of stretches that always tell me a lot about how a bike feels (a particular local uphill corner is a known attacking spot that I’ve always used to gauge a bike, for example). I’m also yet to do a descent of decent length to see how it handles when the road points down.

I don’t hate it, but I might struggle to stick to my side of the pact based on what I currently know...
    Well, I struggled to stick to my side of the pact on the basis that the aggressive position gave me headaches. Advertised it for sale last night and it sold it 12hrs.

Time to get the Woody back on the road...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234