Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: Serottas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Serottas

ebay frame find, a Serotta Davis Phinney model with the left chain stay bent out. Put together by Jim at Vecchios in Boulder. He spoke to Davis and Davis remembered they did the chain stay like that to increase the handling skills when it "had a lot of power applied". The group is a new/old dura ace 7400 I got from another bike. Also some NOS parts from Boulder Bicycle. thanks to Mike Cone. Going to put a Rolls saddle as that would be more realistic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early vintage Fierte iT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying out a Falz fork on my HSG. Super nice. Bottle cages are new Calfee carbon, gloss finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dixiesdad View Post
    ebay frame find, a Serotta Davis Phinney model with the left chain stay bent out. Put together by Jim at Vecchios in Boulder. He spoke to Davis and Davis remembered they did the chain stay like that to increase the handling skills when it "had a lot of power applied". The group is a new/old dura ace 7400 I got from another bike. Also some NOS parts from Boulder Bicycle. thanks to Mike Cone. Going to put a Rolls saddle as that would be more realistic.
    That´s the Serotta I want.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spotted this Legend Ti recently on a local FB classified group. The sizing looked close and the price was right so I jumped on it.

Frame full.jpg frame sticker.jpg

Drop out.jpg Head tube.jpg

Side shot.jpg Angle.jpg

Even though this frame is some 15 years old my first impression was one of absolute quality.
    Clean threads, smooth and flat bearing faces and a perfectly reamed seat tube; It was a pleasure to hang parts on.

Ride impressions are positive so far. It has a firm but nicely damped road feel and is plenty stiff under vigorous pedal input.
    The size has tuned out to be spot-on (50x53cm, 11cm stem and a 68.5cm saddle height). I reckon it's going to be a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful bike @cs124 .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cs124, that is very nice, smallish bikes look so neat. I had a Legend from about the same time (a 54/55). It had Dura Ace 9 speed when there were cables everywhere, but yours is very clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    cs124, that is very nice, smallish bikes look so neat. I had a Legend from about the same time (a 54/55). It had Dura Ace 9 speed when there were cables everywhere, but yours is very clean.
    Thanks for the kind words @slwrnu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full view of late model carbon HSG built for electronic shifting. This is my only full-carbon bike now. Got it second hand from Cool Planet Bikes in Vt. He seems to find a lot of VGC Serottas. Have moved through a number of forks on this frame: Enve 2.0, Serotta F3 8.5 and 6.5, and now this Pegoretti Falz. It's a nice blend of stiffness, comfort, good looks, sharp steering, and good tire clearance. Plus it came in gloss black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using this down time to finish this build project. Many may remember this one with a Campagnolo build and last year in my quest to downsize I sold off the 10-speed groupset, which was working perfectly. Today I feel a bit bad about that because it wasn't quite NOS (with the new-shape Centaur shifters) but almost and it was slick. Fast forward a year and I have been piecing together an 11-speed Shimano Dura Ace 9000 groupset with a compact crank. I'm hoping to use it eventually as a travel bike again but even just as a regular daily rider it's pretty awesome. This is a better groupset for a travel bike anyway, with more gears and a wider range overall.

I've only ridden it once in the past couple years and very little over the past 5 or 6. Today's tiny shakedown ride went very well. It's a pretty bike and rides extremely well, with perfectly balanced handling and rolls over rough pavement smoothly.

This bike may have equals but few superiors, if any, in the world of steel bikes.

It still needs some bar/lever adjustments and the saddle isn't quite perfect but this one will rejoin my fleet of regular bikes.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A gem, Jim. Fork looks killer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    A gem, Jim. Fork looks killer.
    I got really, really lucky to get an original F3 fork in the proper rake with this one. When I bought the frame it had no fork and I imagined it easy to source the right one but it wasn't. I don't remember what I paid for this F3, and it wasn't outrageous, but it was no gift either! It's the right rake AFAIK and the mid-level stiffness.

When I had it coupled by Bilenky I had them do a wet paint to do what they could to keep as much of the original red as possible, and to try to match the fork and decals. The painter, a woman, did a great job. The couplers match up perfectly and it rides as well with them as it did before the coupling. I've only done a couple trips with it and had planned a possible Solvang, CA trip this spring but that didn't happen, and today I'm kind of glad it didn't. Maybe in the fall.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THAT is slick. I love the color scheme and the number of logos-it looks "finished".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E4150B97-AF0D-42FD-8B92-2186E88C92F7.jpg

Mid 2000’s in all its glory with colored 23mm GP 4000 tires and Fight Gel saddle. My first custom frame built with chorus/centaur 10, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, FSA cockpit.

This bike has seen many configurations and has been repainted. Have hit the deck riding it and been hit by a car riding it. Zoom in on the top tube to see the dent. A lot of stories behind this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been doing my riding around the Newport and Middletown areas of Aquidneck Island while we're staying in place. I just tuned up my Serotta HSG Custom in my favorite bike color of all time: tempranillo (at least that's what Serotta called it). Lori Hoefer did the fit for me when she was at Signature Cycles, and our plan was to make it a bit longer and lower than my other bikes, which worked perfectly. I could maybe go a bit lower, but it's fine for right now. I've had it for years now and don't ride it nearly enough. Today I did my standard 25 mile loop out by the ocean and it is such a fast, smooth ride. Newport's relatively flat, at least compared to where I usually ride, so it's okay to have 53-39 chainrings, which I love. This bike is the total Serotta package; incredible attention to detail. It was sort of a variation on the MeiVici theme, but when ordered as a custom, the HSG was dang close to the more expensive models. And I ordered it at a time when Serotta gave a significant discount for all the options (e.g., paint, custom geo). Rides like a dream and I had a tailwind coming back today and I was flying (for a 67 year old ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Missed this one. That is a properly nice Serotta-the DA 9000 really sets it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, Serottas rock.

My travel bike has been all over the damned place, it's no beauty queen , and often underbiking, but always enjoying the ride. DT shifter set-up, i can assemble it in about 10 minutes flat, and i have, on the side of a dirt road on "Stampede Pass" haha. Great bikes.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Missed this one. That is a properly nice Serotta-the DA 9000 really sets it off.
    Thanks! I’m enjoying being back on it. It’s still a really nice bike to ride!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2010 legend