User Tag List

Thread: Rob English

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rob English

Rob does not get much mention here. I mentioned in the "Visually Proper Bikes II" thread that I had a bad encounter of the car variety on my virtually brand new English back in May. More important than what I am about to relate, Rob was asking about my condition periodically while I was hospitalized and has continued to express interest in my progress; he is a great person. Rob was kind enough to take the mangled bike and personally carry over the salvageable components onto a new frame and fork at crash replacement pricing. I am grateful to Rob. Here are some pics Rob just sent me of the new bike. This time around, I went with with a bi-ovalized DT and wet paint so that the English logo could better match the blue CK headset and hubs. Wheels, bars, and fork are ENVE. Rob built the wheels. A note about the ENVE carbon rims; those are my original rims. I was descending a steep hill at about 30mph when I got hit by a car coming from my left at about 65mph. My front wheel hit the car just at the front bumper or slightly behind it at the passenger side. I ended up flying over the car and my bike got propelled down the highway. Between initial impact and landing impact, the front fork, handlebars, and frame were mangled. Those are the original rims-they survived just fine, and just needed a little truing. Pretty amazing/miraculous, just like my survival.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a handsome bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rob English

Yo nice bike. Glad you're on the mend. Have also survived an unexpected rendezvous with a windshield in my day.
    Seriously though, not to undermine rob, but how do you know those rims are safe? You have them X-rayed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    Yo nice bike. Glad you're on the mend. Have also survived an unexpected rendezvous with a windshield in my day.
    Seriously though, not to undermine rob, but how do you know those rims are safe? You have them X-rayed?
    Great question. Nope on the x-rays. I don't know that they are safe. It may not be the wisest course, but I am assuming that since they trued up easily that they are good to go, and that without a doubt is an unwarranted assumption. All I can say is that I intend to monitor both rims closely at every stop and after every ride once I am back riding this bike. I did not mention this, but despite the initial contact point between bike and car being my front wheel, my Schwalbe One 28mm tubular did not blow either. That's the front tire I was riding in the pic of the new bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FSonicSmith View Post
    I was descending a steep hill at about 30mph when I got hit by a car coming from my left at about 65mph. Those are the original rims-they survived just fine, and just needed a little truing. Pretty amazing/miraculous, just like my survival.
    I'm convinced my Mavic CC SLRs kept me out of the hospital when they were hit by a 4 door KIA at 25mph.

And glad you didn't have any permanent injuries which would keep you from riding such a badazz machine. I keep trying to convince the cats on my Sat ride who drop 20 large on Rcas to order an English. They only care about 2 things: owning the lightest and most expensive. Maybe if Rob raises his prices...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After I got my first English I immediately put myself down in the line for another. I also then cancelled my place in a number of other builders' lists as I just love what he does and how it does it.

Great to see him building again and also to hear your own survival story.

I just got to the front of the queue and due to new baby expenses have had to ask to be dropped to the back. Sad days. But excited to see what he can put together in a year or so!
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful bike!! Great that Rob kept up on your recovery and helped replace the bike!! Most importnantly, congrats on your recovery, hope all continues well!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the update on Rob himself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    whats the update on Rob himself?
    He is back building (obviously) and riding. I think one of his arms is still not in great shape but some recovery. So not great but ok.
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob mentioned in an email back in August that he has regained strength in the biceps of his left arm but that he still has numbness affecting his dexterity. But he also sent me the attached pic of him winning what he described as a small local crit a few nights before, though he says he mostly avoids mass start events these days. As most of you probably know, Rob is a Cat 1 level cyclist. His account as to what happened in July of '14 can be found here 20 August 2014 | English Cycles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob just posted an awesome TT build on his site (and FB). Not mine... Stunning work as always.

DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine was in the Queue when Rob had his accident. He waited while Rob recovered and couldn't say enough good about the man and his talent. While he has some really nice bikes, his English is his pride and joy: