Results 1,301 to 1,311 of 1311

Thread: Richard Sachs Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Bicycles

I've been disassembling and reassembling 2 bikes to conduct my COVID experiments. It's good fun, and my work space is more organized.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Record 10 is about as nice as it gets. Lately I have retro fitted a couple bikes with Shimano 9/10 speed barcons on the right (friction mode) and Mavic down tube shifter on the left. With the friction I can swap my Campy and Sram/Shimano wheels at will. I really like friction shifting on the barcons, but Campy 10s on the hoods is hard to beat. I am bias to the clang of Campy shifting to the vagueness of Shimano/Sram. No electric for me mom. That old school blue color Sachs is the cats whiskers me thinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Turning back time.

Off with the new, on with the old.

Finding a way.

Attachment 117253

Attachment 117251

Attachment 117252
    Stop teasing us!

Let's see that fabulous frame with 10s silver goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Turning back time.

Off with the new, on with the old.

Finding a way.

I don't think you could get much of a chamois pad inside those bibs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While waiting for the silver-adorned '07 to come together, it's time to enjoy this '17 vintage in its first incarnation. R12 and Bora Ultra 50s are in store, probably some finishing kit adjustments too. But first, some miles.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does the geo compare between these two specimens?

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, wait, that's in your garage, too? Going to keep them both?.... Hmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    how does the geo compare between these two specimens?
    Very similar. But I only have the full geo on the '07. The '17 is slightly larger.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Umm, wait, that's in your garage, too? Going to keep them both?.... Hmm.
    That's the intent. Hence the differentiation in the builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoroughly in love with this c.2017 version. I may have stumbled on perfection here. I thought I was going to replace the early R11 (which only has a small bit of use on it) with R12 and make it thoroughly modern but after two rides, I'm really happy with its performance and aesthetics on this build, and can't really see changing a thing at this point (other than messing with the stem and spacers to get that just right and re-wrapping with some Silca tape).

Ride One was on Saturday. I woke up to icy roads in my part of town but heard it was dryer out east, so I headed out for what I thought would be a 40 miler or so shakedown ride. When I got to the turn at the far eastern boundary of the ride though, the sun got the better of me and I figured what the hell, I'll just do the northern loop - which I should have just enough time to get done before dark, landing me around 70-80mi.. Somewhere around mile 45 things got interesting - coming around the corner of a butte/hill, I found the SSW headwind that'd been blowing for days had picked up into the upper teens. Full power straight into that baby was 13 mph at best - the kind of wind that is scary to ride in when it flips to a crosswind and you have trucks going by..especially with a cinder-diminished shoulder given the time of year. It wasn't great. And then I made it worse by picking the diagonal road back that I figured might get me home before dark if I was lucky. Turns out that road has little to no shoulder, a horrible surface, and 60+ mph traffic. Yay! And once you're on it, there's no way out but through. I think I cursed everything in site over that 10-15mi stretch. But eventually I got through it, made the turn to home, got some shelter from the wind, and limped my way into the garage utterly cracked - 1.5 bottles, two bars, and two gels for 4.5-hrs of saddle time. Oi! Still, strip away the pain of the last third and it was a grand day out, and a lovely introduction to this amazing bike. I took no pictures. Sorry. Ended up being about 77mi I think, give or take.

Ride Two was today. The weather shifted and I had a window to get out on the Solstice for some happy miles under mostly sunny skies and low-50s temps. It was amazing. Another perfect day on a perfect bike. Still some wind, but manageable. And I got to push the limits of the 39x25 on this one to find that it is indeed perfectly adequate for these parts - we have short steeps but no really long 15%+ grades that become troublesome with that taller setup. The tradeoff win here is everywhere else you have perfect gears and a fully-usable cassette in both rings. Lovely. In between rides I swapped to Ritchey Neoclassic bars and a Deda stem. The stem diameter makes me happy when looking down at it and the bars gel better with my hands than the 3T Superleggera - but I would still like a custom stem with a -16* rise to get me to a perfectly level stem/TT/drops situation. I have to say these Vision KOM wheels are perfect here too - they're around 1350g, excellent braking, and nice wide profile that puts the Veloflex 28s with latex tubes in a perfect posture. Good times.

Happy Winter Solstice all!

PXL_20201221_210627502.jpg

PXL_20201221_211345784.jpg
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd put the Record 12 on that, but it is lovely as it is - you're a lucky boy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're getting along quite well.

Sachs_Smokey.jpg
    Dan in Oregon