Thread: Parlee Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Parlee Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    It is now en route, thankfully - should be here some time next week I think.
    Will look forward to seeing it built up - love the classic and timeless Z1 look. Personally, I can’t stand the “new fangled” sculpted Parlee styles now ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wgp View Post
    Will look forward to seeing it built up - love the classic and timeless Z1 look. Personally, I can’t stand the “new fangled” sculpted Parlee styles now ...
    Well, here it is as ridden today:

Click for a bigger version

In future it'll probably most often wear these Lightweights (unless I decide to sell them) or my Boras, but I needed to use the Fulcrums today.

I'm probably also going to switch to a -8º or -10º stem. I put a Deda Superleggera on it after today's ride and that looks the ticket, so I'll probably stick with it. I'm undecided whether I follow my OCDs and change the post to a matching Deda one, or just keep the PMP and feel a bit itchy all the time...

This is one that I'd been watching on eBay for *an age*. The geo is in the right ballpark for me, but the HT always seemed too tall; and I wasn't entirely comfortable with how my saddle would look on a seatpost at my saddle height with the 72.5º seat angle. I got it down to a price that made it worth the gamble, so I took the plunge.

Part of the experiment for me was to be able to run a normal length stem (110mm) with a normal reach bar (circa 90mm). Why? Because I'm always having to force myself onto bikes with 70mm reach bars on account of not being comfortable running bikes with a 100mm (or less) stem. If you've never had reason to do the same, you won't understand that the difference between riding on the tops and the hoods doesn't feel like much of a change; which can be a problem - especially if you genuinely need to rest properly on the tops for a bit, or when you're cooked at the end of a ride.

I've also arrived at the conclusion that my migraines are related to posture and neck strain - some of which comes from riding bikes that are realistically too low for me. This helps resolve that (with the Deda that is on there now the bars are 2cm higher than recent builds); and gives me more room for future adjustment via higher angle stems and spacers (with a new fork) should the need arise.

Despite all of that, as pictured, the reach to the hoods is the same as I have run on most bikes in recent times. The saddle tip to bar center is 20mm shorter than I usually run - a massive difference but, with the longer reach bars, it has achieved what I wanted it to.

The ride of this thing has blown me away too. I'm prepared to accept that might be a bit of 'new bike elation', but I don't think it is - given that my last 3 builds (in as many months) have all been very firm race bikes, this is at least as responsive as all of them, yet smoother. Not bad for a 12-year-old bike...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the score Rich - sounds like you got it for a good price. I had to wait literally years to find my Z1, but patience was rewarded. Enjoy it - they do indeed ride beautifully, even if they (your's and mine, which is a 2006) are "old" bikes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Boras:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Boras:

That looks very tasty and probably lightweight too...
    What are the dimesions out of interest?- looks very well balanced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmuthariley View Post
    That looks very tasty and probably lightweight too...
    Thanks! Rounding up, it's 7.1kg with the Boras on it. Not too shabby at all.

What are the dimensions out of interest?- looks very well balanced.
    Surprised to hear you say it looks well balanced, but I'll take that! It's a bit of a freak geometry-wise in my opinion, but I kind of need that. If I remember rightly...

TT = 55cm
    HT = 20.4cm
    ST = 58cm c-to-c
    SA = 72.5º
    HA = 72.5º

My saddle setback isn't massive (7.5cm) hence being nervous about where the saddle would end up with the 72.5º SA, but it looks ok on the PMP post and will look even better on the incoming 4mm setback (so basically inline) WR Compositi. With the -12º stem there was basically no difference in the setup to my previous bikes which defeated the object, hence the Deda stem; which I think suits it quite nicely.

Fear of the unknown is plaguing my rides so I've ordered a new fork already. I went with a Pegoretti Falz v2 - which is an perhaps an odd decision, but it was the only raw carbon with gloss finish I could find and I know I like how the Falz rides, so I think it'll actually be a good choice. 1-1/8th forks are already becoming scarce and there's an assumption by the manufacturers that you'll want massive logos and matte carbon. Finding the Falz in gloss raw carbon with a small white logo made it an easy decision in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and 80mm BB drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad for a 12-year-old bike...
    Looks great. My Z-1 is ten seasons old, still going strong, the best frame i've ever ridden.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Boras:
    Hawt.
    100% would ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose well balanced as in an overall look - not necessarily the geometry.
    V cool

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, stretch out the top tube a few cm and I would be all over that. Still, it does look good, nothing weird about it visually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I mean it.

No, really, I do.

I DO!!

====================

EDIT: I'm saying that ^^ because the Insta post says:

"Bold statement time: If I ever make noises about selling this bike, shoot me. In the face. Twice. Preferably point blank. It ain’t ever gonna get better than this...

I’ve had 48 bikes since July 2003 - I might finally have found a keeper."

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so how is that different than the Marcelo? Other than in every way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    OK, so how is that different than the Marcelo? Other than in every way?
    Smoother, more responsive, more stable, fits better...

Tyre clearance was the only thing the Marcelo did better, but even then the fork limited me to 25mm (on the Z1 I’ll max out at 26mm at the back, but I’m fine with that).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, here it is as ridden today:

Part of the experiment for me was to be able to run a normal length stem (110mm) with a normal reach bar (circa 90mm). Why? Because I'm always having to force myself onto bikes with 70mm reach bars on account of not being comfortable running bikes with a 100mm (or less) stem. If you've never had reason to do the same, you won't understand that the difference between riding on the tops and the hoods doesn't feel like much of a change; which can be a problem - especially if you genuinely need to rest properly on the tops for a bit, or when you're cooked at the end of a ride.

I've also arrived at the conclusion that my migraines are related to posture and neck strain - some of which comes from riding bikes that are realistically too low for me. This helps resolve that (with the Deda that is on there now the bars are 2cm higher than recent builds); and gives me more room for future adjustment via higher angle stems and spacers (with a new fork) should the need arise.
    This is pretty interesting to me. I have run larger bars (ENVE road bars, the bigger ones)on some really long rides for the same reasons. It felt like I wasn't hardly changing positions on the compact bars.

Buuuuuut- with a 56tt, 110 stem and big bars my neck was officially killed. Moved to a 100 and things are better, but I almost need a 90, which I don't really want to use. Ah, as the fit world turns.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a blatant 'postman' thread cross-post, I picked up this fork today - Parleretti?...

It's a Falz v2 which arrived a couple of weeks ago from Dazza in a raw finish, then I had it clear coated by a guy here in Sydney. All notably cheaper than buying a new Enve fork in a finish that didn't match the frame at all; and also cheaper than buying a stock finished Falz v2 from BiKyle and getting it shipped here.

Looks great on the bike, plus I now have the confidence of knowing the integrity, provenance and age of the fork on the bike; AND it's also cut to the full internal depth of the stem (plus a tiny bit extra).

Initial 'spin around the driveway' ride test indicates toe overlap still won't be an issue; and that it feels slightly better in terms of the turn-in, but it's obviously hard to say for sure. Proper ride later this week, if I can nudge this head cold into touch.

It also now has a WR Compositi post on it that matches the frame beautifully; and the Lightweight Gipfelsturm wheelset that I picked up for a song are finally close to being sorted too (the previous owner killed the freehub bearings by running the wrong end cap on the wheels [and would have been running them with offset spacing, weirdly - probably why he sold them to me so cheap]. It was easier and cost-equal to replace the whole freehub than just the bearings, but I was initially sent the wrong one).

I am *loving* this Z1. Pending reminding myself how good my Woody is, which was my previous #1 (the rebuild of which has had to go on hold), this is the best bike I've ever ridden. Even if I could justify a Z-Zero right now I don't think I'd do it - for the cost, I couldn't take the chance that they could build a bike this good twice over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a blatant 'postman' thread cross-post, I picked up this fork today - Parleretti?...

It's a Falz v2 which arrived a couple of weeks ago from Dazza in a raw finish, then I had it clear coated by a guy here in Sydney. All notably cheaper than buying a new Enve fork in a finish that didn't match the frame at all; and also cheaper than buying a stock finished Falz v2 from BiKyle and getting it shipped here.

Looks great on the bike, plus I now have the confidence of knowing the integrity, provenance and age of the fork on the bike; AND it's also cut to the full internal depth of the stem (plus a tiny bit extra).

Initial 'spin around the driveway' ride test indicates toe overlap still won't be an issue; and that it feels slightly better in terms of the turn-in, but it's obviously hard to say for sure. Proper ride later this week, if I can nudge this head cold into touch.

It also now has a WR Compositi post on it that matches the frame beautifully; and the Lightweight Gipfelsturm wheelset that I picked up for a song are finally close to being sorted too (the previous owner killed the freehub bearings by running the wrong end cap on the wheels [and would have been running them with offset spacing, weirdly - probably why he sold them to me so cheap]. It was easier and cost-equal to replace the whole freehub than just the bearings, but I was initially sent the wrong one).

I am *loving* this Z1. Pending reminding myself how good my Woody is, which was my previous #1 (the rebuild of which has had to go on hold), this is the best bike I've ever ridden. Even if I could justify a Z-Zero right now I don't think I'd do it - for the cost, I couldn't take the chance that they could build a bike this good twice over.

Very nice - do you want to sell the edge / enve? fork you had on the Parlee - it would suit my Rapha continental tribute bike build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It also now has a WR Compositi post on it that matches the frame beautifully ...

I am *loving* this Z1. Even if I could justify a Z-Zero right now I don't think I'd do it - for the cost, I couldn't take the chance that they could build a bike this good twice over.
    I also am totally in love with my new-to-me Z1, and sport a WR Compositi post that aesthetically matches the frame nicely. These kinds of details matter to me ... my Enve fork is NOT a match for the frame, and it really bugs me! So ... a new fork may be in the works.

Although, alternatively, I continue to weigh sending the frame back to Parlee for a refinish over this winter. Nobuseri's Z1 finish is what I'd likely get (not sure if he's posted shots in this thread but there are photos in the Z1 thread over on Paceline). Spending the $ to re-finish it would be worth it to me because I don't think I'll ever sell the Z1!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice - do you want to sell the edge / enve? fork you had on the Parlee - it would suit my Rapha continental tribute bike build...
    PM'd you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I continue to weigh sending the frame back to Parlee for a refinish over this winter. Nobuseri's Z1 finish is what I'd likely get (not sure if he's posted shots in this thread but there are photos in the Z1 thread over on Paceline).
    Yeah, that's a nice one - although I can never decide if I prefer the newer style logo or the older one...

Spending the $ to re-finish it would be worth it to me because I don't think I'll ever sell the Z1!
    I hear you; and I could see myself doing the same - *if* I am able to convince myself to keep mine... I think I'd end up just refreshing the same finish to be honest, or perhaps just changing the logos to a more subtle silver, grey or black.