Thread: Parlee Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Parlee Cycles

No updates - just another coupla pics:

Need to get some pics of these wheels included in some product review shots so that I can give the local distributor a shout out, then they'll be de-stickered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-Active version of the SQlab 612 Ergowave Race saddle, trimmed steerer and purple bar tape:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dig that purple bar tape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    Dig that purple bar tape!
    As did I; but I'm playing with tape a bit at the moment because it's cheap and seems to quell my need for upgrades (although I am doubting my wheel choice, aesthetically; and I do want a set of EE Brakes and some different cranks!). The latest is Cinelli's camo tape - and is probably my favourite so far (helped by the awesome orange bar plugs!):

I need to find a more interesting wall...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should add, this bike has achieved its aim - or at least the frameset has.

I'm really am very happy with it; and whilst some of that might be down to the fact that I have accepted my promise that I won't buy another bike etc., I think a lot of it is also to do with the fact that the bike is genuinely very good and doesn't make me want to look around for anything else. I used to check the classifieds here and across the hall a few times a day, but I haven't been doing that at all lately; and for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Of course, as hinted at above, I still contemplate new wheels, EE brakes, different cranks, etc., and I'm even contemplating a switch to Campag due to an EPS > eTap swap offer (and the offer of a mechanical groupset trade discount), but I doubt that'll ever really stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad the bike has worked out for you. After a few years of not riding my Parlee it's now in the regular rotation and probably getting more miles than ever. Great bikes. As for...

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Of course, as hinted at above, I still contemplate new wheels, EE brakes, different cranks, etc., and I'm even contemplating a switch to Campag due to an EPS > eTap swap offer (and the offer of a mechanical groupset trade discount), but I doubt that'll ever really stop!
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you'd be better served finding more time to ride the thing than all this swapping around constantly. Over the the last couple years I've had a chance to try most of the groupsets and I've learned that they're all good, all easy to get used to, and all have little to no bearing on the enjoyment of the ride. Apart from saddles, which are critical for comfort, and wheels/tires, which can really transform a ride, all the other stuff is background noise. IMO, of course.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you'd be better served finding more time to ride the thing than all this swapping around constantly. Over the the last couple years I've had a chance to try most of the groupsets and I've learned that they're all good, all easy to get used to, and all have little to no bearing on the enjoyment of the ride. Apart from saddles, which are critical for comfort, and wheels/tires, which can really transform a ride, all the other stuff is background noise. IMO, of course.
    All completely fair comment, Matt - and I don't disagree. I'm a tinkerer, though, and I struggle to fight that urge!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    All completely fair comment, Matt - and I don't disagree. I'm a tinkerer, though, and I struggle to fight that urge!
    But think of the satisfaction you'll get after wearing out a part!

I'm messing with you in good fun. But, seriously, go log some miles. Or kms, which are even better since they tick off faster. I forget which you use down there.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    But, seriously, go log some miles. Or kms, which are even better since they tick off faster. I forget which you use down there.
    Fear not, I am logging all the k's I can manage to get in at the moment - it's not anywhere near as many as you, but I'm ok with that.

Just because I'm thinking about changing stuff on my bike, doesn't mean I'm not riding. Not directly aimed at you, Matt, but it does seem to be a common internet generalisation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sat at home unwell, so I'm cheering myself up with a couple of pics from a ride last week:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That bike....
    Keep coming back to it.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now wearing R9150 Di2 that I have on review from Shimano Australia; and a set of HED Stinger 3s to replace the Mavics that had to go back due to rusting spokes:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, the R9150 suits the frame really well. Good bartape choice too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really does, doesn't it - to the point where I'm now planning to switch to the R9100 mechanical kit when this Di2 review is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing this reminded me that I should remind my wife that my long term cycling addiction is not stupid like that short term fling I had with chasing tuna and marlin and such up and down and out to 100+ miles off the coast.

IMG_5053 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Seeing this reminded me that I should remind my wife that my long term cycling addiction is not stupid like that short term fling I had with chasing tuna and marlin and such up and down and out to 100+ miles off the coast.
    If telling your wife that deep sea fishing is stupid helps with cycling, more power to you. But don't lie to yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If telling your wife that deep sea fishing is stupid helps with cycling, more power to you. But don't lie to yourself.
    LOL. But she is a mathy rationalization (not meaning prove a theorem logical rationale but rationalization which is kinda a white lie) type of person. Cost per pound of fish is way higher than cost per less pounds on bikes. And the diesel was gone in a weekend and I have the Parlee for the rest of my life. So, I am serving up that even splitting the fishing costs with my buddies it wasn't as close to efficient in avoiding high psychiatry bills. She buys that kind of thinking. Thankfully.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now wearing Record EPS, sent by Campagnolo to round out my trio of electronic groupset reviews:

Public holiday here on Monday so I'm hoping to get a decent ride in and get a feel for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painted a stem to match. Well, nearly - we don't have the same paint codes in Aus to match the 'Nason 5774' that Parlee use on my frame; and the code I chose is just a touch too blue. Still, it's good enough to decide whether or not this is a route I want to stick with:

I'm currently undecided. If I keep it a change of bartape is needed for sure, but I might just go back to the Mcfk...

So far so good on the EPS too. Initially I wasn't keen on the thumb button, but it's growing on me - as are the 4-arm cranks, finally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The #rainbike is getting a ton of use lately thanks to the shitty weather. Good thing the bike is the opposite of shitty.