Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Parlee Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Parlee Cycles

Two Parlee Z5SLIs, top is my old one, bottom is the current ride. I regretted selling my first one and was browsing eBay and looking for Altums when I came across the current frame. I plan on removing the logos from the wheels but wanted to make sure I liked them before I did that. (They painted on, not a decal) I have to change the SI crank arms to SISL2s, they're sitting on my counter but I just haven't made time to do it. Also have a new bar/stem combo to put on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, what planet do you live on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeez, that thing must weigh next to nothing. 12lbs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    They're silly light. Mine is noticeably lighter than every other bike I have with no concessions to weight weenism other than the bottle cages.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two very nice rides, I have to say the original in all black with the DA is stunning...
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    They're silly light. Mine is noticeably lighter than every other bike I have with no concessions to weight weenism other than the bottle cages.
    I kind of miss having my weenie bike. Someday when I have space and disposable funds, I'll have another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    Um, what planet do you live on?
    Bakersfield, CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Once I change to the SISL2s and another WW item I'll weigh it but I think it could be sub 6kg. Heavy pedals, heavy tires and tubes included in that weight. Swapping to some lighter tires and thin tubes like Conti Supersonics would save weight but the roads around here suck and I flat too much as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Two very nice rides, I have to say the original in all black with the DA is stunning...
    Thanks! I really missed the all black one and that's what I was actually looking for. Red isn't my favorite color, though it's a bit of a welcome change from my past 2 bikes. I think once I remove the wheel logos it will look better. I was hesitant to do so as I just got the wheels and I hadn't read any reviews on them so I would rather them look a bit loud and be able to sell them than de-logo and lose some money if I wasn't satisfied!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say I'm really enjoying this bike - which is lucky, because it was a bit of a gamble, if I'm honest!:

It's almost a shame that Parlee have continued the lighter version as the single Altum variant for 2017 as I genuinely think the 'R' version is the better of the two. The reduced stiffness through the front end is particularly apparent to me, resulting in all the directness and great handling of the more expensive version but with much better damping and comfort.

I'll be honest, at my weight (circa 85kg) I'm struggling to trust the über light weight Mcfk stem and post (despite their 110kg rating), much as I love the look and finish on them and the way they look on the bike. I may well cave in to my sensibilities and find something equally nice looking but a little more trustworthy instead. It's just a shame there are so few nice looking inline seat posts on the market as a setback post won't work for me with the 73º seat angle. I'm tempted to paint a stem to match the frame so that I don't need to worry about matching, then run an inline Thomson post.

Still yet to sort a wheelset, but the review DT PR1400s are due next week so those will keep me ticking along.

When are we gonna see yours boots2000?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Still yet to sort a wheelset, but the review DT PR1400s are due next week so those will keep me ticking along.
    Well, they would have done if they hadn't been held up in customs!

Luckily I was able to pick up a set of the new Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL tubulars at a good price on the basis that they may well be the only set in Australia and nobody here is buying tubulars any more. I'm going to wrap them in the set of Veloflex Vlaanderens (as pictured, but not yet glued):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bet they ride nice.........
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the nude one- I assume it is the lighter version that you speak of.
    It rides nice but it is a stiff f**ker.
    Sounds like the R model rides more like the Chebacco?
    I also have a Chebacco and it rides like a dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I have the nude one- I assume it is the lighter version that you speak of.
    It rides nice but it is a stiff f**ker.
    Sounds like the R model rides more like the Chebacco?
    I also have a Chebacco and it rides like a dream.
    I've not ridden a Chebacco, but the Altum R is definitely more comfortable and less harsh than the lighter raw Altum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Bet they ride nice.........
    So far so very good. Not sure if it's the tyres being plush, the wheels being perfectly balanced in terms of stiffness and comfort, or (most likely) a happy combination of both, but they feel lovely. No harshness, but no lack of stiffness.

There was a persistent ticking, but changing the cassette (I put an 11-25 on for the first ride when I meant to use an 11-28!) seems to have resolved that.

They look alright too!:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a sharp ride. Just one question. Is it gray, light gray or blue? Each of the photos seem to show off something different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    That is a sharp ride. Just one question. Is it gray, light gray or blue? Each of the photos seem to show off something different.
    Thanks!

It's a light/mid grey - and quite a 'cool grey'. The filters I use in Insta make it look different each time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lThere was a persistent ticking, but changing the cassette (I put an 11-25 on for the first ride when I meant to use an 11-28!) seems to have resolved that.
    Spoke too soon. The ticking isn't resolved at all, and I can't seem to do anything to sort it. Next step is to remove the freehub in the hope of finding something that might be causing it. I'm hoping this isn't a warranty issue as the wheels are otherwise really very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally haven't liked the intersection of the top and head tube on the new Parlee; but this bike of your's looks good everywhere. Nicely done.
    Re ticking, I trust you tried securing the valve stems already. Seems one of the most common and easiest to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate the compliment, thank you.

The valve stems were my first port of call based on a strip of tape over the valve having resolved a similar issue in the past - so a good shout but it didn't sort it, unfortunately.

It is that exact same kind of repetitive noise, though; as if something is stuck to the tyre or is catching the frame once every wheel revolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The valve stems were my first port of call based on a strip of tape over the valve having resolved a similar issue in the past - so a good shout but it didn't sort it, unfortunately.

It is that exact same kind of repetitive noise, though; as if something is stuck to the tyre or is catching the frame once every wheel revolution.
    I should have said that the rear valve stem was my first port of call. I never bothered checking the front one because it didn't sound like the noise was coming from there.

Noise sorted. I feel like a bit of a dick.

As you were...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unashamed cross-post from the rides thread...

DashDustin said to me on the 'gram the other day: "I'm starting to think you really like this bike" - I'm starting to think he might be right (apologies for the awful 'pic that refused to turn out anything like I planned'!):

Attachment 100350