Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Parlee Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Parlee Cycles

Beautifull bike or beautifull picture of a beautifull bike. Carbon wunder bikes tend to live on the stiff unrelenting side of life.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Carbon wunder bikes tend to live on the stiff unrelenting side of life.
    This hasn't been my experience - stiff, yes. Unrelenting, no.

I can put up with the back end being on the firm side on this (it's a fairly solid 31.6mm post), but the front end is over-the-top stiff. It'd be a great race bike like this, but it's too much on longer rides.

Hopefully the bar & stem switch tones it down enough to make it more bearable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says a lot when an Enve stem looks skinny compared to what was there before:

(pic angles are very slightly different)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...but the front end is over-the-top stiff. It'd be a great race bike like this, but it's too much on longer rides.

Hopefully the bar & stem switch tones it down enough to make it more bearable.
    Subjective, as it's 3 weeks since I last rode the bike, but I think the switch to 31.8mm has toned down some of the stiffness, based on a short spin yesterday afternoon. There ain't much in it, but I reckon some of the buzz and chatter has gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back. In. Action.

"I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rebuilt this with the idea of it being temporarily out of retirement while I wait on another frame. Scratch that. It's more of a keeper than I remembered. Just a terrific bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I rebuilt this with the idea of it being temporarily out of retirement while I wait on another frame.
    Just gonna leave us hanging like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Just gonna leave us hanging like that?
    Definitely. Maybe even indefinitely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're a mean man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An unexpected bonus from my boss led to a joke comment to my wife about me buying a new frame. To my disbelief, she agreed. However, this couldn't be something that came and went "like all the others" and, for various reasons, she wasn't keen on me getting anything custom this time around. Her other premise - linked to this bike being something that would stick around - was that this should be the bike that I am happy riding up Ventoux when we go there for my 40th next year (Sept. '18).

I knew I liked the Altum based on the one I had on review. I actually considered that to be one of the best looking bikes I had built; but I still always preferred the look of the grey Altum R. Finding this pic of one had me salivating (most of these seem to be built with a white saddle and bar tape, which I think 'softens' them too much), and I kept coming back to look at it at any spare moment. I was offered a deal I couldnít refuse on one of the grey Altum Rs so I snapped it up (they are changing the Altum to a single version for 2017 so will no longer be offering the Altum R). It helped that the 'R' version was reportedly slightly less harsh than the higher end Altum, which was my only real gripe with that; and 90kms on it this morning confirmed as much.

With the frame being a good price I had some budget left over to treat myself to some nice parts Ė hence the truly *delicious* Mcfk stem & post along with a Kogel BB. The rest of the build is existing kit, and pretty much how the review Altum ended up being built, less the EE brakes (Iíll probably buy another set at some stage); and with the SQlab saddle I'm now running:

All I need to decide on is the wheels (these are a review set). Much as I want the new Fulcrum Racing Speed 40T wheelset, those would be circa $2.5k and an 8-12wk wait. Iím expecting a set of the new DT Swiss PR1400 OXiC wheels for review soon, but I need something of my own. Iím tempted by prices I've been offered on a few different clinchers, except the prospect of not running tubs makes me a bit itchy Ė besides which I have a fresh set of the Veloflex Vlaanderen tubs hanging in the garage waiting for a set of wheels to be wrapped around.

This bike probably seems like an odd decision for me, but I don't really know what kind of eff-builder bike I would want to order right now; and even if I did, the decision on colour would probably send me loopy. Quite simply, and at this point in time, nothing else appealed as much - to the point where I might have considered a Cervťlo R5 over anything else if this Parlee hadn't worked out. Thereís also the Ďflex-fití top caps, which give me scope to adjust my position without using stacks of spacers (even if they are just a more attractive version of the same thing) as my back hopefully improves since I injured it in my car accident in early December. Iíll run it with the tall cap until Iím able to switch back to the middle one as I ran on the review Altum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never thought I'd see a RTR build without EE brakes......��

Looks sharp.......

How'd ja like dem MCFK parts?

The dt Swiss wheels are something I am considering but seem unavailable as yet in europaville at the moment
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a bit nervous about the 3Nm bolt torque on the stem faceplate, but otherwise it's seriously lovely kit - the seatpost especially seems very well executed.

The DTs are available in Europe - I know 'cos it was the only place I could find a set! Try Bike24 for starters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a bit nervous about the 3Nm bolt torque on the stem faceplate, but otherwise it's seriously lovely kit - the seatpost especially seems very well executed.

The DTs are available in Europe - I know 'cos it was the only place I could find a set! Try Bike24 for starters.
    You're not wrong Rich.....bike24 have them, I need to hone my internet searching skills.....thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 3 reviews I've seen say actual weight of the DT's is 1500g/pair, instead of the claimed 1435g. Not sure if that's a measurable difference on the bike though. In the states, they are priced right at $1000, Neutrons are $900 and Shamals are $1100, so I can't see where they really present too many advantages over those two other wheels, especially if the actual weight is 1500g. I suppose as a set of climbing wheels with max braking for descents?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The 3 reviews I've seen say actual weight of the DT's is 1500g/pair, instead of the claimed 1435g. Not sure if that's a measurable difference on the bike though. In the states, they are priced right at $1000, Neutrons are $900 and Shamals are $1100, so I can't see where they really present too many advantages over those two other wheels, especially if the actual weight is 1500g. I suppose as a set of climbing wheels with max braking for descents?
    Having almost gone through the rims of my ageing racing zeros due to the wet gritty slimey English winter the advantage of the coated rims are evident to me......assuming this coating performs similarly to a ceramic coating. Also I think the sealing on DT hubs works better than the shamal/zeros, additionally the tubeless ready + rim coating is a combination not offered by anyone else unless I am mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's selection...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    {snip} I can't see where they really present too many advantages over those two other wheels, especially if the actual weight is 1500g. I suppose as a set of climbing wheels with max braking for descents?
    DT claim the surface treatment would outlast the rim, or something like that - the durability coupled with the reasonable weight and the 'carbon look' is what makes them appeal to me.

EDIT: And yes, apparently the braking is very good, which also appeals.

If I like the review set I get I may well get hold of a pair anyway - they will be a good option for my wife, and they can be 'stored' on her bike when I'm not using them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich, beautiful Parlee! I have a 12 year old Z1. Wondering how you like your SQlab saddle. I have been thinking of trying one but not sure which one. Yours looks like the 612 Ergowave. Do you have the active model? Ti or CF rails? Also curious what handlebar you are using, it looks like they have a flat/rounded top.
    Thanks,
    Quattro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, the Z1 - I *love* them, you're very lucky.

The SQlab saddle is really good. I have a review going up on Cycle EXIF soon, but the crux of that is that I ended up buying this saddle off of the distributor because when I went back to the Tune and Arione saddles I used to use before this I couldn't get comfortable and didn't feel anywhere near as well supported.

This is the Active model with CF rails - it's not quite as comfortable as I recollect the Ti-railed 611 Active being, but the 'step nose' design is better on the Ergowave, and the saddle generally seems more refined from a design perspective. I'll probably also buy a non-Active version of the 612 Ergowave too, when the local distributor gets stock of my size.

The bars are Zipp SSRs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, the Z1 - I *love* them, you're very lucky.

The SQlab saddle is really good. I have a review going up on Cycle EXIF soon, but the crux of that is that I ended up buying this saddle off of the distributor because when I went back to the Tune and Arione saddles I used to use before this I couldn't get comfortable and didn't feel anywhere near as well supported.

This is the Active model with CF rails - it's not quite as comfortable as I recollect the Ti-railed 611 Active being, but the 'step nose' design is better on the Ergowave, and the saddle generally seems more refined from a design perspective. I'll probably also buy a non-Active version of the 612 Ergowave too, when the local distributor gets stock of my size.

The bars are Zipp SSRs.
    Rich, thanks for your reply. Thinking of trying one, also thinking f giving a custom Meld saddle a try.
    I'd like t read your review of the SQLAb saddle, please post the link conceits up.
    The bend of the Zipp bars looks good, I'll have to check them out.

Thanks again,
    Quattro