Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mosaic

Quote Originally Posted by sjauch View Post
    Got a bit of a refresh and happy to be rolling on this again.

Untitled by Steven Jauch, on Flickr
    can i have it? i really want it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small ring. At least you're not cross-chaining. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More small ring action on the Mosaic page:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Nice! Where did you go Fletcher?
    Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Guy View Post
    ^^^Nice! Where did you go Fletcher?
    It's the Deschutes River State Recreation area. Not the one in Bend. This one is past The Dalles where the Deschutes and Columbia meet. There is a dirt/gravel trail that follows the river canyon heading south to central OR. Passes by some old railroad vestiges, abandoned ranch homesteads. Lots of birds, some Bighorn, lots of snakes... Some camping along the river. I've only taken it to the Harris Ranch 12 miles out and then turned around at the watertower. Some day, I'll start early and head out further. The map shows the trail continues a ways further though I'm not sure how intact the trail is out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not my bike, but I was it was.
    IMG_4952-Edit-1024x682.jpg
    More pics here: BOTW: Mosaic RS-1 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Not my bike, but I was it was.
    IMG_4952-Edit-1024x682.jpg
    More pics here: BOTW: Mosaic RS-1 |
    I've ridden the piss out of that one. It's moved onto a new owner now, but it's a jumpy little shit.
    NK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone ride a Mosaic GT1 or 2?...the one with a mid-scale Enve GRD fork? Please tell me about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Fletcher and Joosttx are riding XT series not GT.
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
    Does anyone ride a Mosaic GT1 or 2?...the one with a mid-scale Enve GRD fork? Please tell me about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Fletcher and Joosttx are riding XT series not GT.
    Heisenberg knows all about the GT's. Contact him with all the answers to your questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on an XT. Can't help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I demo'd this Mosaic RT-1 at a local shop in an effort to help me get an idea of what Mosaic is all about...as much as you can do that with a single example.

Looking at the bike, there are several things that pop out.
    The fabrication on the frame is tidy, immaculate really... the welds, the etching, the seamless internal brake routing, the balance of the decals, etc. The head-badge is perfect.
    The tubes are trying to say something...oversized headtube and downtube for snap, pencil-thin seatstay for compliance.
    And not that it matters, but red bar tape is hideous.

On the road, well, it's great but not perfect.
    The shop nicely adjusted the RT-1 to a close-enough fit. I put my own wheels on there for consistency, and off I went.
    The handling is on the quick side of neutral - no surprises there. The pedaling is snappy and stiff with a remarkably positive no-loss sensation that is best when you give it the beans. I feel that it favors the standing climb more than a sit&spin. Strava says it moves me at familiar speeds, so I doubt it would make me materially faster. Though it is an exciting bike to ride with a clear feeling of GO.

My niggle on this bike is the road feedback - there is more of it than I had expected for a titanium bike. The road buzz was more pronounced than my Moots Vamoots CR (which is magically smooth). Swapping in a set of plump Grand Bois Cerf 28s (~29+ mm) relieved the buzz somewhat, though the resulting clearances are paper-thin and not acceptable. A true 28mm tire fits OK, but I am particular about tires. 30 is the new 25.

So what do I think...I like this bike as a true go-fast metal bike, like if you want an all out aluminum racing bike but have money to burn. Some may find it completely satisfying as a daily driver as is. Given that these are tuned for each customer, I wonder how much more compliance the RT-1 can bring given the already pencil-thin seatstays. The GT-1 is a compelling alternative in this context since it may have that same positive go-go feeling while giving a bit more room for cushy tires. Though I'm still happy driving my Moots for a while longer.

rt11.jpg

rt12.JPG

rt13.JPG

rt14.JPG
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tested a Moots gravel bike and compared to my Mosiac I found the Moots quite pedestrian. Kinda dead, blah. This probably a more accurate comparison since the Moots are off the rack and the Mosaic was custom made for me. I would never compared my Mosiac to a aluminum race bike feel. Plus my Mosaic is lighter.

So I demo'd this Mosaic RT-1 at a local shop in an effort to help me get an idea of what Mosaic is all about...as much as you can do that with a single example.

Looking at the bike, there are several things that pop out.
    The fabrication on the frame is tidy, immaculate really... the welds, the etching, the seamless internal brake routing, the balance of the decals, etc. The head-badge is perfect.
    The tubes are trying to say something...oversized headtube and downtube for snap, pencil-thin seatstay for compliance.
    And not that it matters, but red bar tape is hideous.

On the road, well, it's great but not perfect.
    The shop nicely adjusted the RT-1 to a close-enough fit. I put my own wheels on there for consistency, and off I went.
    The handling is on the quick side of neutral - no surprises there. The pedaling is snappy and stiff with a remarkably positive no-loss sensation that is best when you give it the beans. I feel that it favors the standing climb more than a sit&spin. Strava says it moves me at familiar speeds, so I doubt it would make me materially faster. Though it is an exciting bike to ride with a clear feeling of GO.

My niggle on this bike is the road feedback - there is more of it than I had expected for a titanium bike. The road buzz was more pronounced than my Moots Vamoots CR (which is magically smooth). Swapping in a set of plump Grand Bois Cerf 28s (~29+ mm) relieved the buzz somewhat, though the resulting clearances are paper-thin and not acceptable. A true 28mm tire fits OK, but I am particular about tires. 30 is the new 25.

So what do I think...I like this bike as a true go-fast metal bike, like if you want an all out aluminum racing bike but have money to burn. Some may find it completely satisfying as a daily driver as is. Given that these are tuned for each customer, I wonder how much more compliance the RT-1 can bring given the already pencil-thin seatstays. The GT-1 is a compelling alternative in this context since it may have that same positive go-go feeling while giving a bit more room for cushy tires. Though I'm still happy driving my Moots for a while longer.

rt11.jpg

rt12.JPG

rt13.JPG

rt14.JPG
    Last edited by joosttx; 08-04-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I tested a Moots gravel bike and compared to my Mosiac I found the Moots quite pedestrian. Kinda dead, blah. This probably a more accurate comparison since the Moots are off the rack and the Mosaic was custom made for me. I would never compared my Mosiac to a aluminum race bike feel. Plus my Mosaic is lighter.
    blah. That's perfect! Thanks for chiming in.
    Yeah, I hear you. I couldn't figure out the Moots Routt either.
    Here it is hard to draw a general comparison from a single example. Perhaps the shop spec'd the demo bike this way to appease some customers who come in riding the latest greatest carbon and where the sell for titanium is framed with that in mind. Who knows.
    Don't get me wrong. The RT1 I rode was great, but if we are given leeway for naval gazing here, then I'll nitpick where I can.
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    These guys know how to put pipes together
    Okay, I've got one of these...and they are stiff (like a Gaulzetti). The handling is fast. The worksmanship is impeccable (as are many of the ti builders).

I love mine and it has outlasted many other framesets. That said, I feel like you have a pretty good feel for this bike and I think the Moots may be a better fit for what you're looking for.

This kind of reminds me of 10-15 years ago when DBRK had a ti frame made up with more flex than what was stock. I don't think you're going to get an oversized headset, a giant bottom bracket, huge down/top/seat tubes to dampen very much. I think you're best line of attack is a call to Tom Kellogg.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Essentially. Mosaic builds go-fast race bikes. I have yet to ride one of their road bikes that doesn't scream "STOMP ME!". If I'm feeling fresh, the RT-1 is a blast, and has more GO than nearly every Ti bike I've ridden (note: reasons I don't have a Moots or Seven). They like to use biiiig chainstays, and you're right, the road feedback can be negated with chubbier rubber. That said, it still has that kind of...less-than-eager feel of titanium. I nearly pulled the trigger on one, but in the end, I built a Baum Corretto.

GT-1: It's a bit ganglier than the RT-1, which gives it a lazier/less jumpy road feel - but I did get the impression that it was more compliant when I put 28mm tires on it. Stiffness was never a complaint about that bike, either.
    NK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, I would argue that, in Moots terms, the Mosaic in that configuration is closer to an RSL than to your CR. The thing about custom ti is that it can be dialed up or down in terms of stiffness/road feel, but the tendency these days is to build ti on the stiffer (e.g., RSL) end. There are details about Mosaics that I really love. In addition to the ones you mentioned, the welded front derailleur tab is a fine detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go. Go fast.

There a plenty of things in bikes I wish I had when I was younger. This is one of them.

From CyclingTips.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books