Thread: Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mosaic

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Upon further inspection I see that you used the Shimano 685 levers instead of Di2. Nice! That's the direction I may go with my Indy Fab at some point. Did they set up OK? Any issues? Also, it appears you have XTR brakes. Is there any difference between them and the 685/785 calipers?

Just curious. I'm really liking your bike!
    Jim, unfortunately with a broken wrist I really haven't ridden it. Yesterday I rode it for about a mile and a half on a flat dirt road. It shifted just fine even with my thumb and arm in a cast. The hoods felt familiar. Only difference between the XTRs is that they are lighter. supposedly they don't remove heat as well but when I queried people about this it wasn't a real life issue. The brakes are too quishy for my so I'll need to get them adjusted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    The brakes are too quishy for my so I'll need to get them adjusted.
    This is one of my concerns should I go that direction. The Di2 levers seem to have a much more positive braking feel and a stronger return action than the 685s. I like the idea of the mechanical shifting though. I'm huge on brake feel and a solid connection and positive lever return.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of my concerns should I go that direction. The Di2 levers seem to have a much more positive braking feel and a stronger return action than the 685s. I like the idea of the mechanical shifting though. I'm huge on brake feel and a solid connection and positive lever return.
    Well they are a hell of a lot better better than cantis or the like which is the other options for big tires. I remember Justin writing it was the hose more than the caliper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as these suckers don't squeal be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    As long as these suckers don't squeal be happy.
    No squeaking yet :).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a plug for Above Catagory where I bought the bike. That store can be imitating and I almost didn't go with them because I thought it could be an overpriced Hyped show. It was exactly the opposite. Chad and the team over there made it happen with grace and ease and kept me in my budget that we had agreed to. Laid back, no nonsense with excellent customer service. I would highly recommend them building a bike for anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure why everyone poo-poos low gearing.
    Other than vanity to keep a Dura-Ace rear derailleur on the there.
    An 11-36 makes the riding more fun offroad if you have climbs.
    Also, a mid cage Ultegra derailleur takes cross-chaining in the big ring better- this is important because you get so much chain slap on trails.
    I run an 11-36 on my cross/gravel bike and I am not the worst climber out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I run an 11-36 on my cross/gravel bike and I am not the worst climber out there.
    This made me laugh. You are definitely not the worst climber out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    This made me laugh. You are definitely not the worst climber out there.
    If I thought that gearing would make me climb like boots I would be on it. Not even sure EPO and a 250cc engine would help me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I thought that gearing would make me climb like boots I would be on it. Not even sure EPO and a 250cc engine would help me.
    When you guys took me out the last day I was out there I was so proud of myself for staying on his wheel to the top of the climb. I wanted to throw up. He turns around and casually says something about it being a nice climb. I would have punched him if I had any breath (and if he wasn't such a good guy). So yeah, your Mosaic is awesome looking, I can't wait to see your ride shots when the cast comes off, and no gearing will make the rest of us climb like boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I am not sure why everyone poo-poos low gearing.
    Other than vanity to keep a Dura-Ace rear derailleur on the there.
    An 11-36 makes the riding more fun offroad if you have climbs.
    Also, a mid cage Ultegra derailleur takes cross-chaining in the big ring better- this is important because you get so much chain slap on trails.

I got an 11-32 for Ballers this year. I never really felt a need for a 36 but I probably would have used it on a few places, especially the final climb of the day. I didn't even know there was an 11-36 available but I suppose for MTBs there's such a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got an 11-32 for Ballers this year. I never really felt a need for a 36 but I probably would have used it on a few places, especially the final climb of the day. I didn't even know there was an 11-36 available but I suppose for MTBs there's such a thing.
    I don't think you'd need it for Ballers. Something like D2R2 would really benefit from it, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably would of not broken my wrist if I had 36 on the back. Indian Springs Fire Road is steep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a plug for Above Catagory where I bought the bike. That store can be imitating and I almost didn't go with them because I thought it could be an overpriced Hyped show. It was exactly the opposite. Chad and the team over there made it happen with grace and ease and kept me in my budget that we had agreed to. Laid back, no nonsense with excellent customer service. I would highly recommend them building a bike for anyone.
    Had the same intial thoughts and feeling when visiting Chads shop for the first time last year. The boutique-y shop/showroom is very stylish and pretentious feeling but as I walked in, was greeted by a warm hello and "thanks for coming by, let me know if any questions" which put me at ease.
    Continued to oogle at all the cool gear he had in there and then started asking him a few questions of the Pegs on wall and soon we were just chatting casually about gear like any other shop where guys like to talk gear. After observing price tags on staple items, there were on par bike store msrps and maybe even less than M---k's Bikes chain.

I wrench my own stuff for the most part and its a bit away from my hood but would put this on my list of shops to consider if in the market for one of the cool product lines they carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

joosttx, that's one great looking bike!

Jim, unfortunately with a broken wrist I really haven't ridden it. Yesterday I rode it for about a mile and a half on a flat dirt road. It shifted just fine even with my thumb and arm in a cast. The hoods felt familiar. Only difference between the XTRs is that they are lighter. supposedly they don't remove heat as well but when I queried people about this it wasn't a real life issue. The brakes are too quishy for my so I'll need to get them adjusted.
    I was recently inquiring about using the XTR calipers with the 785 levers and this is the response I got from the folks at Firefly, "The XTR race brake caliper do work with the road shifters, but it's not what Shimano calls "A" compatibility so we don't necessarily recommend it. You end up with more lever throw than ideal."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superb bike Houston. Props to Mosaic, they are doing a beautiful work and that short lead time is a plus.

Have a speedy recovery to enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This and Brandon's Firefly are giving me some real Ti lust....
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mosaic is fucking dialed. I'm writing ten feet from Aaron brazing a brake line into the top tube of an RS-1. The level of detail, professionalism, and passion here is pretty high, really excited to see them doing really well. Helps that the bikes are rad - the RS-1 I've been on for the past few weeks is my favorite metal bike so far, as far as the ride is concerned.

Doing a writeup on them in the next couple of weeks for Above Category. Photo stolen from our illustrious photographer, Derek.

derekcross (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mosaic is fucking dialed. I'm writing ten feet from Aaron brazing a brake line into the top tube of an RS-1. The level of detail, professionalism, and passion here is pretty high, really excited to see them doing really well. Helps that the bikes are rad - the RS-1 I've been on for the past few weeks is my favorite metal bike so far, as far as the ride is concerned.

Doing a writeup on them in the next couple of weeks for Above Category. Photo stolen from our illustrious photographer, Derek.

derekcross (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Tell those guys thank you for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post

The finish on the frame where the logo is looks pretty good, may we can have a nice short of that
    here's a detailed shot. I think the finish is called "ghost" but I am not sure. Its very subtle. I really like to outlines on the letters. That really does it for me.