Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Milholland (Greg Morris)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Milholland (Greg Morris)

Last weekend was the perfect storm of (finally) great weather, Father's Day and the arrival of this frameset. Designed and built by Greg Morris (Milholland Bicycle Company) in Portland as a 'fast day tourer' for me, wanting to be able to carry a light-medium load front and back, mount fenders with 28MM tires, and not feel like a truck. He did it. 21.85 pounds as pictured, very lively and easy to handle. So far 85 miles in 3 days, 43 mph top speed, stable, great high-speed cornering and it makes me feel 'mas macho'. I love it! Thanks Greg.

Because someone here on the VSalon had posted about it, I had Greg order a Serotta touring fork. Built to use standard reach brakes and fenders, offered in different stiffness depending on rider/bike/load weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Milholland (Greg Morris)

Glad you like it Dave! It was no mystery what you wanted. How do you feel about the fork?
    Greg Morris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great bike. But then again, all the Milhollands look pretty darn nice.
    Curious about the fork as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few shots from my Flickr.

To achieve Dave's proper bar height and keep headset spacers to a minimum, I added a 20mm head tube extension to the top lug and carved back the lug to blend with the now taller lug.

I love the look of these Paragon drop-outs but they lack eyelits. I stay away from brazing on eyelits for racks because they are load bearing, so I went with a lowrider style mount through the dropout and stay and brazed on a fender eyelit behind that.

Greg Morris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't question Dave's history of beautiful and smart bikes, but given the craftsmanship on the frame, it would have been hard for me to choose against a steel fork.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was building the bike, I took note of the fine details that Greg incorporated on it. One of the main things that attracted me to Greg ( in a very manly way of course) was his attention to details, both mechanically and visually. He brought two customer bikes with him to his exhibit at the Seattle Bike Show where I had met him. One of the bikes was a perfectly proportioned 46cm touring bike. The bike was so well done visually that I couldn't really tell how small it was until it was put next to a 'normal' sized bike. Fenders, racks, everything visually fit this bike perfectly. I had a hard time taking my eyes off it. All this led me to have several conversations with Greg at the show and planted the germ of the idea of a 'fast day tourer' to replace the truck-like touring that I was struggling with. A 'fast' tourer because I either ride supported tours or do credit card tours and I wanted a bike that I could both 'play' with and/or use on multi-day rides. So, a bike designed to carry light to medium loads both on the front and rear, run 28mm tires with fenders, yet handle sportingly was made. A very moderate increase in rear center and a very slightly slacker head tube angle with correspondingly raked fork was spec'd.

. My bicycle esthetics have evolved throughout the last few years. I've come to like slightly sloping tubes, subtle paint and details and a visually strong front end. I've had more than a few Serottas and have come to appreciate their fine engineering and craftsmanship. When I read on this forum that Serotta was offering their in-house made forks to other builders, I asked Greg to enquire about them. He found they offered a touring fork that accommodates standard reach brakes and fenders, that was unbranded, unpainted but otherwise fully finished, ready for a builder. So here was a fork that met my needs both mechanically and the vision of the bike that I had in my head.

Would the choice of a steel fork have been better? I'm confident that Greg could have built an absolutely wonderful fork that would have worked perfectly but it was a visual thing that I wanted to achieve. The Serotta fork is a very fine fork, very well built, offers great bike feel and precise handling and compliments the look of the bike that I wanted..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a nicely thought-out and well appointed bike Dave.

Congratulations to you and to Greg for putting together a modern masterpiece.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great explanation, Dave. I had no doubt that your reasoning was sound. Hope you have a great summer of riding on your side of the state.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very classy. What handlebars did you spec? They look nicely rounded but not deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lawhoo View Post
    Very classy. What handlebars did you spec? They look nicely rounded but not deep.
    Thanks. The bars are Bontrager Blade VR-C, 85MM reach and 125MM drop. They allow a very nice transition from the tops to the hoods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Randonee is Texas bound. I like how the logo turned out on the seat tube.
    I have been noticing these bikes becoming more of a winter staple around here. They handle bumps with ease, are light with good component consideration, and the ultra stable and predictable steering lends itself well to all of the seasons. Comfy handle bar height too.

Greg Morris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent Monday making a window display in the local clothing boutique Radish Underground. Come check it out if you are kicking around downtown Portland Oregon and pick up a Milholland shirt. I have some custom lugs hanging in the display as well as some raw and painted frames.

A sneak peak, more to come.

Greg Morris