Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lugged Aluminum whippets: Vitus, ALAN, Guerciotti

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Totally with you there, Mark - theyre not even comfortable FFS
    Yeah, but with slotted cable stops you could regularly grease your cables like a civilized person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Yeah, but with slotted cable stops you could regularly grease your cables like a civilized person.
    And without the double twist half gainer routing inside the shift levers, the cable snapped at the head less frequently and the head could be extracted when it did.

But the current handlebar bag fetish might never have happened.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I know it's only an aesthetic thing but I always hated the Shimano STIs with the cables stuck out the sides. It looked dumb at the time and looks even worse now.
    It is the reason I became a Campy customer when I got my first brifters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ergopower users never got that cable head issue. It is not like shimano was forced to do it wrong twice.

I remember when the first duraace sti levers were introduced it was a total deception as we only got rid of the exposed brake cables crossing on top of the levers from all race bike around 1987-88 only to get the luandry line reappear in 1991-1992 on shimano. For me this was a big NO. The fact so many people got cable fraying issues when they only recently put back the cables under the tape was a huge facepalm moment to me , like how can such a company remain leader of the market.

Well I know why, they can pour so much volume in the market the other conpanies cannot compete in the OEM market and despite my preference to campy and SRAM I still have been riding at least one shimano equiped bike in the last 6 years, mostly for economic reasons.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Ergopower users never got that cable head issue. It is not like shimano was forced to do it wrong twice.

I remember when the first duraace sti levers were introduced it was a total deception as we only got rid of the exposed brake cables crossing on top of the levers from all race bike around 1987-88 only to get the luandry line reappear in 1991-1992 on shimano. For me this was a big NO. The fact so many people got cable fraying issues when they only recently put back the cables under the tape was a huge facepalm moment to me , like how can such a company remain leader of the market.

Well I know why, they can pour so much volume in the market the other conpanies cannot compete in the OEM market and despite my preference to campy and SRAM I still have been riding at least one shimano equiped bike in the last 6 years, mostly for economic reasons.
    ....... And they generally make a bloody good product.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shiman DURA ACE with laundry lines - for me the best shifting performance in 8 and 9-speed, exclosure the front derailleur ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here another French "lugged" or bonded frame. It's a French RBE - This French company hired in 1992 former employees of TVT, when Joint Venture between M. Tapie and TVT expired. I have a frame only and no idea to build up
    IMG_0378_70pct.jpgIMG_0379_70pct.jpgIMG_0380_30pct.jpgIMG_0381_3pct.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gridno27 View Post
    here another French "lugged" or bonded frame. It's a French RBE - This French company hired in 1992 former employees of TVT, when Joint Venture between M. Tapie and TVT expired. I have a frame only and no idea to build up
    Wow, that's lovely!

If you really want a Mavic group for that, I could be persuaded to part with mine; but it won't be cheap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

I certainly hope you ride it and can give a report.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I certainly hope you ride it and can give a report.
    I'm injured at the moment so I'm on a bit of a 'build > flip' project head space to keep me sane from not doing the longer rides.

However, I have managed 3 brief rides on this - it's a nice bike. Nothing dazzling, but it would hold its own against a lot of modern stuff for sure. It's comfortable and not at all harsh, yet you can tell it was built to be stiff, if that makes sense? Power transfer seems fine (although I'm limited on my ability to put out anything that would put those joints at risk right now!) and there's certainly no notable flex like the 979s are prone to.

The circa 30yr old glued joints do make me nervous, though. I'm sure it's perfectly fine, but... yeah, nah.

I'm stripping it today to sell the group and wheels. I can see me keeping the frame, though - partly because I want to, partly because there doesn't seem to be as much interest in it as I expected! Some you win, some you lose...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm injured at the moment so I'm on a bit of a 'build > flip' project head space to keep me sane from not doing the longer rides.

However, I have managed 3 brief rides on this - it's a nice bike. Nothing dazzling, but it would hold its own against a lot of modern stuff for sure. It's comfortable and not at all harsh, yet you can tell it was built to be stiff, if that makes sense? Power transfer seems fine (although I'm limited on my ability to put out anything that would put those joints at risk right now!) and there's certainly no notable flex like the 979s are prone to.

The circa 30yr old glued joints do make me nervous, though. I'm sure it's perfectly fine, but... yeah, nah.

I'm stripping it today to sell the group and wheels. I can see me keeping the frame, though - partly because I want to, partly because there doesn't seem to be as much interest in it as I expected! Some you win, some you lose...
    Be a museum of classics, which this is.

I rode one on a real ride 30+ years ago and was quite underwhelmed. My steel bikes were preferable. I wanted to love it but found it dead. Made me wonder if the pros got a different version. In contrast, I rode a Look 96 lugged carbon and found it to be light and lively and springy in all the right ways. It wanted to dance. The Vitus not so much. These experiences have shaped my bike worldview since.

That Vitus is lovely and Id ride it but it wouldnt be a daily choice either. Still, your build Is very nice. Good luck with the injuries. The bikes you present are cool.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gridno27 View Post
    IMG_0378_70pct.jpgIMG_0379_70pct.jpgIMG_0380_30pct.jpgIMG_0381_3pct.jpg
    To be period correct the best would be to find a working Mavic ZMS800 groupset for that.

But I could totally see a neo-retro setup with a modern groupset and wheelset.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing how the anodization and stickers looks in great shape this would be the kind of frame to put inside a frame and hang on a room wall for those kind of people who have a room dedicated for the trainers or have a dressing for cycling.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678