Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lugged Aluminum whippets: Vitus, ALAN, Guerciotti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lugged Aluminum whippets: Vitus, ALAN, Guerciotti

Cool insights from a contemporary aluminum builder. Thanks, Circa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "guerciotti" "sprint" by ten speed drive imports (alan frame)

Another abused rescue from the recycling man. '87 Guerciotti "Sprint", outfitted with mostly Campy Victory and some Triomphe. Rusted steel parts, oxidized alloy parts; but everything seems to function, except chain, which is froze up in a few areas, no crashes (brake lever blades excellent). Leather saddle in good shape, not original. Appears to have been stored unprotected oceanside (specifically the driveside). I have another "identical" to this, but a Tommaso in anodized black. Frames were outfitted and badged by T.S.D.I in the USA (Miami area for one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "guerciotti" "sprint" by ten speed drive imports (alan frame)

I have a Tommaso alloy frame with alloy lugs, not sure of the year; but components seem mid-late 80's, very early 90's at best (?). Variety of Campy, Ambrosio, and OFMEGA; really cool narrow profile seat post (Campy). I'll have to get a decent camera to submit photos. Thinking it's similar to the Tommaso referenced in the previous post; it's anodized black, not painted with silver and black foil decals all over it, pantograghed fork crown with stylized "T". Very comfortable when riding, but contrary to what I hear about alloy frames; are the newer frames (TIG welded, no lugs) the ones being criticized for their harsh rides? Could be my size (140 lbs) has something to do with it since I'm not adding a lot of extra pressure on the tires, and frame/fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "guerciotti" "sprint" by ten speed drive imports (alan frame)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I have another "identical" to this, but a Tommaso in anodized black. Frames were outfitted and badged by T.S.D.I in the USA (Miami area for one).
    Hello HPL,

Thanks for referencing the Tommaso frame in your post. I was not aware that they were marketed by T.S.D.I. Now knowing that and after some research, I found 2 catalogs on the Bulgier site; 1985 and 1988 for Tommaso bikes. It would seem that I have a TA 5000 Record Alloy Tommaso, shown in both the '85 and '88 catalogs with essentially the same components. My example would appear to be a different year ('86,'87,'89?) due to some differences of components primarily the pedals (Camp Xenon, don't know if OE or not), saddle, hubs. My decals match those of the '88 model from what I can see in the catalog photo. Although leaving this bike as much OE would be fine; I think this frame begs for what its name implies: a full Camp Record/Nuovo/Super gruppo. I never liked the looks of the Victory/Triomphe chainrings so that's an easy change; but I think the BCD is different from the early Record to the '80s replacement gruppos. I guess I'll do an entire crankset change keeping the BB assy if spindle length is sufficient. I raced this bike a couple years ago with the existing components without any problems, so the changes I foresee making to it are merely being for personal aesthetic preferences with a small change in performance. The Xenon pedals actually look decent and are probably as light as the Victory/Triomphe pedals that I'm assuming were OE.

Thanks,
    Neal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234