Default Re: Lugged Aluminum whippets: Vitus, ALAN, Guerciotti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

007.jpg

I love this bike! I have only ridden it once! I have to glue the front tire on. Very fast! Very squirrely if not pedaled smoothly! Silky if it is ridden properly!
    It hung in a dark shed that I pest controlled for years! Two World Sports later, she was mine!
    It will be torn down this fall/winter.
    Just coming into my serious riding season!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minor thread drift into modern times.
    I was just looking at the Alan site, and it turns out they have a "Legend Collection" model. The description of this frame says it's "Handmade in Italy tube to tube technology, High Mod 60T carbon fiber." Tube-to-tube? Really? Is that lug-looking bit really just paint? Oddly, the Italian-language description leaves out any mention of build technique. The inside of the seat lug could be scuffed carbon or alu.

Anyone know for certain?

Alan 2.jpgAlan 1.jpgAlan 3.jpg
    Last edited by GonaSovereign; 10-28-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: One more pic
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is paint. well done Alan!
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Circa_Trillium_3-4_Med_Bdg.jpg

Here's a Circa Trillium Deluxe City Bike (affectionately known as Goldie) that I introduced a few weeks ago at the Oregon Hand-Built Bike Show. There's more pics at my site: Circa Cycles, LLC — Think Local. Ride Circa..

Rich Fox
    Circa Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alan akhbar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haved digged out this thread - to learn more about the history and the backround about the frame sets and the frame builders

First of all I will introduce my self - I am a collector of so called "Pro Plastic Bike Replicas" from Germany. My collection started 10 years ago with a TVT92 Carbone H.M. in the Team Z TechSpec.

Today I have more than finalized 10 Replicas of Probikes seen at TdF or other races and a lot of projects. My favourite bikes in my collection are the French bonded frames,especially the TVT92, which had their era end of 70s untill beginning of 90s. At the Moment my youngest is a replica of the 2008 Bejing Olympic Champion bike of Samuel Sanchez. Beside the plastic made bikes I have also a pair of extra ordinary replicas of aluminium and steel made Probikes - here a pic of my first one - A pic says more than letterings
    IMG_1551.jpg

At the Moment I work on 2 further Projects with frame sets builded in the Lyon area. Both are lugged frames sets - one a is French ALTEC carbone, similar to the frames had been used by Equipe BH Sports under their BH Label in the 80s - here are pics of the frame set - one with the corresponding Jersey of BH Sports Team and my first draft of BH Label decals referred to pics and Videos from Spanish Vuelta
    This ALTEC carbone will be rebuilded in BH Sports TeamSpec with C-Record, Cinelli and Sigma rims

IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0046.jpgIMG_0048.jpg

and the other is a rosé French Aluminium lugged Frame set called CMP Duralinox - it is labeled in a Peugeot PX10DU manner beginning of the 80
    but it's not a Peugeot you can't find such in a catalogue - I intend to rebuild it with French components of Spidel Groupset

IMG_0280.jpgIMG_0281.jpgIMG_0282.jpg

Thanks for your info and comments

Greeting from Germany

gridno27

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1983 Vitus 979 with Full Campagnolo Super Record, Concor Saddle, Original Cinelli bar and stem, original Campagnolo gum hoods, original Ambrosio bar tape and MA40's on Record hubs. The french bottle cages are the ones supplied with the bike at the time as well. Except for the tires and pedals it's completely period. I'm always amazed how much fun this bike is to ride.

_ET34998_velo.jpg

_ET34998_crop.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    someone knows anthing about this frame set. The frame looks like a ALAN partly but rear fallouts are really different from ALAN like. But ist also a bonded Bianchi or a Bianchi labeled frame of carbon tubes, Aluminium and steel. The carbon part are the 3 main tubes Top, down and seat plus the chainstays. Aluminium are all muffles, steering tube and the rear except the chainstays. The fork has been steelmade of Columbus EL.
    The frame set has been painted like a Colnago Carbitubo, both steering muffles are black and other metal parts are in red metallic candy-coulouring. Carbon parts are clear coated.
    I didn’t found these frame within a Bianchi catalogue between end of 80s up to mid of 90s. Is it origin Bianchi produced frame or purchased from an other?
    The only information I found, the italian Chateau d’Ax-Gatorade cycling team used such frames in 1992 for their top riders Gianni Bugno and Laurent Fignon too, especially on uphill stages. But their bikes were fully painted in celeste the classic Bianchi coulour.

Here some pics about the frame set, which I intend to buid it up with a Shimano 7410 SLR – group set inclosure 8-speed downtube shifters, an ITM cockpit and a set of F.I.R. Pulsar tubular rims.
    Perhabs anybody here you knows more about this Bianchi frame set - Many thanks in advance for any further info

IMG_0549.jpgIMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpgIMG_0547.jpg[/ATTACH]IMG_0551.jpg

... and here pics of the Chateaux d'Ax-Gatorade Team bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very similar frame at Brick Lane Bikes. It has a carbon fork though, so perhaps your bike has a replacement fork (in that era, perhaps a safer fork as well) and is repainted so fork and frame match colors.

Brick Lane Bikes: The Official Website. Bianchi Carbon Road Frameset - 59cm
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi - here I found an other lugged Aluminium frame set, it's from Japan. It's a Nakagawa DURA ALL but I found no more info about - Someone here, who knows anything about this frame set,
    e.g. from which year it could be or any info about Nakagawa's try to build a lightweight Aluminium road bike frame - the fork looks like Dural 979 Vitus type

but it looks very special, i.e the steering tube has been like from a steel made frame set - refer to the small tubes my idea is to rebuild it with a Jubilée

IMG_1340.jpgIMG_1339.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Nakagawa built their own aluminum frame. They also did carbon main tube model. They were sold in the US through Performance Bike with a Performance label. Not sure about the fork. It could be SR? Interesting part of this bike is the headtube. Looks like it is steel with lugs, while the other joints are aluminum lugs. However, Nakagawa is still in business and makes a lugged steel frame with an extended bonded carbon seattube that fits a stubby seat post called The Anniversary Model, so maybe an extension of their earlier work.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, the DuraAll headtube was one piece of aluminum. It had lug spigots for the top and down tubes, but was stamped to give the impression of a separate headtube. A close inspection will confirm.

These were really well finished, but not commonly seen. Nice example!

And, yes, that sure looks like an SR fork crown.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a 1986 Vitus 979 that I bought in 1992 from a customer when working at B&J Bicycle Shop in San Antonio TX. I rode it for maybe a couple of years until the seat tube separated from the BB shell. I stripped the 1st gen Campagnolo C-Record and then sold the unrepaired frame to a friend soon after.

Vitus1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized I hadn't posted anything fresh here in a bit. We build these in Portland, Oregon. The art is laser-etched into the anodizing, which lets us do fun things like custom storytelling for folks. This particular build was completed around 2016. If folks are interested, I've got some fresher work, as well. More info at CIRCA Cycles.

DSC7457 Web.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a CIRCA Cycles city package we call The Burnside which we introduced in early 2019. We build these in Portland, Oregon. The lugs are cnc'd from solid aluminum billet. More info at CIRCA Cycles.

Burnside Profile Web.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichFox View Post
    I just realized I hadn't posted anything fresh here in a bit. We build these in Portland, Oregon. The art is laser-etched into the anodizing, which lets us do fun things like custom storytelling for folks. This particular build was completed around 2016. If folks are interested, I've got some fresher work, as well. More info at CIRCA Cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichFox View Post
    Here's a CIRCA Cycles city package we call The Burnside which we introduced in early 2019. We build these in Portland, Oregon. The lugs are cnc'd from solid aluminum billet. More info at CIRCA Cycles.
    Rich - I don't dislike the aesthetic or the concept; and good on you for having the balls to see it through.

What kills it for me is the crazy-long chain stays. 445mm would make a road bike turn like a barge - will you ever offer a frame with a shorter back end?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123