Thread: Looks and Times go here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looks and Times go here

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'm impressed that you knew what that was.
    lol he's a rare whippersnapper like myself, are there any other guys under thirty on vsalad?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I thought that stuff was banned, though. Or did they just take out all the stuff that could kill you.
    They took out the caffeine/guarana/etc but left all the sugar

I only have one OG can left after that one, but you can emulate it by drop-shotting a 5hourenergy

The night before it was banned in Washington, point83 did a theme ride to mourn its passing and I was riding my BMX Sidehack for the first time that day. It's a good thing I drank several 4lokos, or I wouldn't have made it home after 40 hilly miles on a 70lb 3-wheeled deathtrap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first post in this forum to show my time edge first:)

Bought 2008 as a new framekit build up and change some parts over the years. Super Record Groupset, Fulcrum Racing Speed with FMB tyres, Deda Newton and Regal saddle.

original_first-hoch.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning sweat session on this thing reminds me of just how damn nice they made these frames. Although it doesn't get the attention that it deserves from me, I really can't think of a single reason that it will ever NOT be within reach.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at the new LBS getting the Spooky steerer trimmed and saw this sitting in the fitting area. Had to take a pic. Very, very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Look 585 Ultra, medium frame
    Built up with:
    [] Campagnolo
    - Chorus CT 34/50, rdr, bb, Pro-Fit pedals, 32h hubset, 10s chain
    - Record brakes, fdr, 27.2 x 350 sp, chain
    - Mexico 68 32h clinchers
    [] Continental 4Season 25/28
    [] FSA hs,compact wing bar, OS-66 stem
    [] Fizik Alante, Superlite tape
    [] Arundel Trident cages

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My summer project is finally finished. This was something I did to replace my old Look 585 Ultra, which I sold about 3 years ago or so and immediately regretted that decision. So I found another, but it's not the Ultra. It's just a standard Look 585 Origin and I scoured the planet for used (barely) Shimano 9000 stuff and a set of wheels. Almost everything here, like much of my stuff, came off the used market. Only consumables were purchased new.

Campagnolo aficionados will rejoice that there are three Campagnolo components on this bike - the front derailleur mount, the seatpost clamp and the cassette are all from the C-brand. The rest is Dura Ace 9000, which I've grown to appreciate. My crank choice is a bit nonstandard in that I chose a 52/36. We'll see how that choice works out. I may eventually throw on a 42 for where I live. But for real hills/mountains there's not going to be much I can't get up with a 36x28 low gear.

Also non-standard here is my wheel choice. I found a barely used set of ENVE 3.4 SES wheels. They're the clincher version and that's a big change for me, especially since they're recommended to use 23mm tires and not the fashionable 25s. They're not 'wide' rims but I'm going to trust ENVE's research and my first rides with these installed in my Giant were good. No issues at all and nice in gusty conditions.

My initial test ride around the parking lot confirmed everything works and that eyeballing stem alignment in the work stand never works. Gotta ride it to see that. I'm also curious if I left one link too many in the chain.... details, details!

Also of note - not sure what to think of the bars. They're Deda Zero 100 and my last attempt with them failed. I've got similar 3T Ergonovas on a couple bikes and I like them on the hoods but not in the drops. These, at 42 cm, seem really wide now. The others are narrower on the hoods. I may just revert to my old round Deda Shallows..... The 9000 levers don't agree too well with round bars but they do work. And Sagan just won the Worlds on some round bars so there's hope.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic looking bike Jim!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! It's pretty nice! Just rode it an hour or so and it didn't fall apart, so it's got that going for it.

I have had two of these in the past and should have sold neither so I'll probably be keeping this one. It's less stiff than the Giant but not as much less as I thought it would be. But that difference would probably be accentuated on the hills. The build is light, but I'm not sure how light. Probably 16 or 17 lbs as it is pictured. The ride is smooth and the handling is nice.

I think I'll keep it for a little while.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. Was it repainted? If yes, by who?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Very nice. Was it repainted? If yes, by who?
    It was repainted but I don't know who did it. It came to me like this. Honestly, I wish it were the original white with the Look graphics but it doesn't look bad.

The respray was good but in a few spots up close you can tell it's not quite perfect. But the logos are proper and it's a good, if not quite perfect, job. A couple of chips can be noticed here and there. This reminds me. I'll have to get a chainstay protector....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you weight the frame ? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I didn't. But I did go full weight weenie and installed aluminum water bottle bolts! Of course, I also installed Shimano steel skewers instead of the featherweight ENVE skewers.

Honestly, I don't know what it weighs, but it's pretty light and a set of tubulars would take quite a bit of weight off the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah understood, I was just curious on the frame only

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper.
    Like a pinstriped gray suit.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I tossed my large nude 585 on the scale last night and frame w/o HS bearings or bottle bolts and it ran out to 1,050g.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I didn't. But I did go full weight weenie and installed aluminum water bottle bolts! Of course, I also installed Shimano steel skewers instead of the featherweight ENVE skewers.

Honestly, I don't know what it weighs, but it's pretty light and a set of tubulars would take quite a bit of weight off the bike.
    Carbon clinchers from Saab? Wow, I have seen it all now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Carbon clinchers from Saab? Wow, I have seen it all now.
    I love carrying just an inner tube and where I live the carbon clincher thing just doesn't matter. It's flat here with little braking of any sort let along extended braking that might heat up a rim.

I don't know what the future will hold and don't mistake this for an abandonment of tubulars. But the riding I do at the moment is such that there is just very little difference in whether I use tubulars or clinchers.

On the subject of the bike itself, I can't believe I ever got rid of my previous Look 585s. I rode a couple hours on this one this morning and it was fantastic. Probably not quite as cutting edge racy as my Giant, but not far behind at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-spur...ol-p-6672.html

Jim.....saw this and thought of you....😀
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My size xxl 2009 585 Ultra. Picked it up used a couple years ago. Mix of campy between veloce and record. Dt Swiss TK 7.1 32h wheels on centaur hubs. Conti GP 4 season 700x28 rubber. Heavy and solid setup, but I'm a fatass. Oval r700 13cm stem. Nitto noodle 48cm bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick report after a few rides.

1. I truly can't believe I sold my previous two 585s. This is terrific, even by today's standards. It's stiff enough for me. Its ride is fantastic and it fits just fine. My previous issues on fit were misplaced.
    2. The bars will likely eventually have to go. Ergo bars, even quasi-ergo bars like these, just simply aren't as nice as round bars. Same may hold true on my Giant. The Indy Fab has similar bars but that bike's mission is slightly different.
    3. The 52/36 crank seems strange. I really just want a 53/42 (or 44 for Virginia Beach)....... The 36 is useless on flat ground and the 52 seems different enough from a 53 to be noticeable. It's a keeper for hilly areas, but for here I'd rather just have a 53 or even a 50 compact and deal with an 11-23 or something of that sort.

But the ride of the 585 is excellent - like a superior steel bike. Stiff enough for here and for my current level of fitness and the road feel is great. This was TdF level just a few years ago. Good enough for TdF riders a few years ago, plenty good for me.

I'm glad I found another.

Here's a shot today out in Creeds, VA at the usual turnaround spot.

Oh, and one more thing.... clinchers<tubulars. These might be more aero and I know we've survived with 23mm clinchers since the dawn of time but I really like the wider clinchers (if I'm not going to ride tubulars) and 25mm tires at 80 PSI vs these 23s at 95-100 PSI. These wheels, as absurdly nice as they are, may not be with me forever. They are, however, extremely nice in gusty wind conditions. Far better than my ENVE 45s.

That is all for now. Anyone with an XL sitting around shoot me a PM. I love these bikes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast