User Tag List

Thread: Klein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Klein

Kind of surprised there's no Klein gallery, but still...

I picked up a Quantum II a few weeks ago. It started its life with me as a very poorly setup bike with a layer of dust and dog hair on it. I took a gamble on it as I needed a bike to commute on and thought it might be cool. One quick wipe after getting it home, plus a tweak of the saddle height and it looked like this:

Looked ok, but was still a bit dusty and in need of a spot of TLC in places.

New boots, removal of some Fred-esque bits & bobs and changing the original (yes, the stuff it came with out of the shop) cork tape, plus a spot of extra cleaning resulted in this:

Getting there, but on a frame that was already at least one size too big for me, that 140mm stem had to go. I switched it out for a 100mm Deda (which was all I could get my hands on quickly) and rode it a few times. For old aluminium, it's a damn smooth bike; and it rolls *so* sweetly.

By this time I had also realised that the Shimano 600 Tricolor kit on it is all *totally* original and *totally* immaculate; as is the rest of the bike (bar two or three scratches, none of which are serious). It's basically a collectors item, for those who are into collecting classic bikes. Even the apparrently 'mismatched' rims have turned out to be a conscious decision to run a deeper rim on the rear.

I've contemplated selling it because I wasn't happy using as the commuter it was originally supposed to be given that it is basically totally original, but having ridden it I'm now really reluctant to give it up - and it turns out the secure bike parking at work really is quite safe, which makes me much more comfortbale with that prospect.

I changed the levers today to modern 'Claris' 8-speed levers in an attempt to tidy up the bars (the 600 levers are immaculate and I kind of want to preserve them for some reason; but they're also hideously uncomfortable and the cable coming out of the side of the lever drives me bonkers), so it now looks like this:

Next up is a different stem (that Deda is butt-ugly!), a set of Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars (which have a shorter reach than the Criteriums), a new saddle (a blue Rolls re-issue is the current firm favourite) and a new seatpost (probably PMP Ti) - the latter of which is mainly because the older style saddles seem to need layback posts to get the saddle where I need it to be.

Yes, Colin, we're really off and running now...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Klein

Not sure about Australia, but that is a pretty revered bike in the US. Not worth a ton, but probably more than you would expect - maybe $1200?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    For old aluminium, it's a damn smooth bike; and it rolls *so* sweetly.
    100% my takeaway on that bike. There's something very right about the way it rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Not sure about Australia, but that is a pretty revered bike in the US. Not worth a ton, but probably more than you would expect - maybe $1200?
    Yup, easily. Good example Klein frameset sell for not much less, so the boxfresh 600 kit on top would make it worth that for sure.

I paid about US$565 for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thing has grown on me so much in the last couple of weeks - it's now seeing a solid 50-60% of my ride time and is used 3-5 times a week. In fact the only reason it's not seeing more time than that is because the gearing isn't exactly 'Sydney-friendly' for my longer rides:

I finally have a new stem on the way (Cinelli Pinocchio), but I'm holding fire on the saddle and seatpost at the moment because the kit I want (NOS Flite and PMP Ti) is going to be expensive.

I'm nervous that the BB might be spent, so I might need to get a Phil Wood replacement BB sooner than I'd hoped. That would also mean a change of cranks because the Phil Wood unit is for a 24mm axle. Middleburn X-Type would be the plan there to keep them more skinny looking and period-correct, not to mention maintaining the silver.

Damn this expensive hobby and my expensive, perfectionist taste...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am enjoying this. Why donít you just whack a bigger cassette (freewheel?) on it? And when are you having the bell hand-painted?

I tried having the bell there for a while, but i want to able to reach the brakes whenever i want to ring the bell. So it didnít stay there long...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike looks amazing—the paint is in fantastic shape! I’m still trying to figure out how there are two spots in the photo where the water in the background is in focus. Did you use some after-effect to make it look like the dof was shallower than it was?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I am enjoying this. Why don’t you just whack a bigger cassette (freewheel?) on it? And when are you having the bell hand-painted?

I tried having the bell there for a while, but i want to able to reach the brakes whenever i want to ring the bell. So it didn’t stay there long...
    Hand paint the bell? Nah - that’s way beyond even me! I have no issue with it where it is either. That’s where I put the bell on all my bikes. It’s only there to tick a box in the event of being stopped by a cop anyway.

As for the cassette, I have an 11-28t 8spd waiting in the wings; but I’m kind of enjoying the punishment of the 11-23...

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    The bike looks amazing—the paint is in fantastic shape! I’m still trying to figure out how there are two spots in the photo where the water in the background is in focus. Did you use some after-effect to make it look like the dof was shallower than it was?
    iPhone portrait mode can be a bit flaky at times!

Appreciate the compliments, Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no issue with it where it is either. Thatís where I put the bell on all my bikes. Itís only there to tick a box in the event of being stopped by a cop anyway.
    I mostly use mine on the way home from coffee along the beach at Manly. The bell is quite handy to remind people staring at their phones that there is an outside world or to make drivers aware they are about to cross a bike path to get to the parking meter (Iíd love to meet the genius who thought that was a good idea!). Outside of that path I never use it, so I understand your approach.

I suspect the aesthetics of where mine goes would bother you somewhat.

So no anodising and no hand-painting? Are you mellowing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I’d love to meet the genius who thought that was a good idea!).

So no anodising and no hand-painting? Are you mellowing?
    Ha! Yeah that path is a bit ass-backwards!

Neither re the painting / anodising - it’s silver so it ties in really nicely with the bar & stem; and I prefer not to draw attention to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOS Cinelli Pinocchio arrived:

And yes, Colin, I absolutely do want to colour-code that red screw-on top cap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The inevitable "I wonder what this colour tape and saddle will look like?" switcheroo occurred last night:

Now to find an original Flite saddle in white (damn idiot for selling the NOS one I had before!); and a nicer seatpost...

It's also currently wearing a set of interim wheels whilst the original 600 hubs are being rebuilt into a set of 30mm silver Tubeless Kinlin rims to minimise puncture risk on the commute. This gave me a chance to check tyre clearance - those are 28c Compass Chinook Pass, which fit easily with room to spare.

On wide rims with wide tyres, this thing is gonna ride *so* nicely!

Would it be wrong to put my 12spd Campag kit on it?...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also currently wearing a set of interim wheels whilst the original 600 hubs are being rebuilt into a set of 30mm silver Tubeless Kinlin rims to minimise puncture risk on the commute.
    Well, it turned out that those Kinlin rims aren't available in 32h in silver here in Aus after all. Almost literally as I left to get my refund from the wheelbuilder who was going to order them for me, I spotted an ad for an older pair of Zipp 303 10spd tubulars.

Oh, go on then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now wearing an original Flite Evolution: