Thread: Kirk Frameworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kirk Frameworks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Very cool. Take it out and flog it for me.

dave
    Yes Sir!

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, when Dave blogged in January that he had a spec frame for sale, I jumped on it because (a) it's a Kirk; and (b) the sizing was EXACTLY what I ride. That frame turned into the fillet-brazed frame that got Dave some nice kudos at NAHBS and now it looks like this:

Dave shipped it yesterday, so I'm on tenterhooks 'til next week. Thanks for all the pictures and progress reports, Dave! Can't wait to give y'all a ride report. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is stunning, and the colors are tasty! There should be a word for that in the dictionary—"Kirkfection," a combination of Kirk, perfection and confection.

Let me know when you go on the maiden voyage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tim, thats pretty sweet. i'll look for that bike on guard hill in a few weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim, I saw your bike (though didn't know it was yours!) pictured on Dave's blog yesterday. It's strikingly and yet subtly beautiful all at once. I really like the stripes on the seat tube and how they match and work so well aesthetically with Dave's new decals. From one Kirk owner to another, you will absolutely love the ride. Enjoy and congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, dudes. FedEx says arrival will be June 3.

Here's some more:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Songline, thanks! When Dave changed his decals I had already spent a month or so visualizing a scheme using his old style decals. That scheme just didn't seem to work when I factored in the new ones. So I decided to go a little more pastel in the old palette. I thought the green would go with the light blue and then wanted to use the white accent color from the choices Dave now gives. I told JB what I wanted (i.e., Kirk logo on downtube and bands on the seat tube that used the decal colors) and he came up with the seat tube bands and even called me twice to discuss/make suggestions, e.g., at first we weren't going to put the logo on the seat tube between the bands. He called me and said that the space was kinda empty and did I mind if he put the logo in there. Very focused and fun to work with, both Dave and JB. I'm really happy with the way it came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    Songline, thanks! When Dave changed his decals I had already spent a month or so visualizing a scheme using his old style decals. That scheme just didn't seem to work when I factored in the new ones. So I decided to go a little more pastel in the old palette. I thought the green would go with the light blue and then wanted to use the white accent color from the choices Dave now gives. I told JB what I wanted (i.e., Kirk logo on downtube and bands on the seat tube that used the decal colors) and he came up with the seat tube bands and even called me twice to discuss/make suggestions, e.g., at first we weren't going to put the logo on the seat tube between the bands. He called me and said that the space was kinda empty and did I mind if he put the logo in there. Very focused and fun to work with, both Dave and JB. I'm really happy with the way it came out.
    those seat stays are unreal. colors are great. and the bike looks very well proportioned. nice.
    david corr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, when Dave blogged in January that he had a spec frame for sale, I jumped on it because (a) it's a Kirk; and (b) the sizing was EXACTLY what I ride. That frame turned into the fillet-brazed frame that got Dave some nice kudos at NAHBS and now it looks like this:

Dave shipped it yesterday, so I'm on tenterhooks 'til next week. Thanks for all the pictures and progress reports, Dave! Can't wait to give y'all a ride report. Tim
    That frame! Those dropouts! That paint! That build! Just wow. Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim - you've gotta bring that one down to West Chester!
    Wow...Enjoy. That is a righteous bike.

L.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the show, Susan and I went over to ask Dave about his new drop-outs and we handled that frame to examine them. After we walked away Susan was pretty much blown away. She'd finally realized and seen the level of craftsmanship which is possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim,

The Ottrott you had on the West Chester, PA ride was great, but this bike is on a whole other level. The paint choices you made are exceptional. Enjoy it in good health.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Jon! Will be reporting back when I've got some real miles on it. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's here; urgently need carbon paste to complete assembly. OH NOOOOOOO. Will revert when I've ridden lots. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I've had it about a month now. As I said across the hall, I only have about 150 miles on it (we just got back from a 2 week vacation with no cycling), but the fit and ride are beyond stellar. It's the smoothest riding bike I've ever had, and if I have to pick one characteristic to emphasize, it would be its perfect fore/aft balance when you get out of the saddle, meaning that you never feel like you're getting out ahead of the bike when you go to accelerate or climb. This perfect balance shows up in other ways, too, such as in the intuitive handling that makes the bike disappear under you. When you're riding on rolling terrain, I've been struck by the way those first few important pedal strokes at the base of each roller makes you surge forward.

And it's beautiful:

Briefly, the build is Campy Super Record, TTT bar and stem, Look Keos, Fizik Alliante, Ritchey carbon seat post and Campy/Ambrosio/FMB Paris Roubaix tubulars. Dave sent it to me as a complete bike, perfectly assembled and literally ready to ride after installing the front wheel, pedals, bars and the seat post. The only tweakage required from the original specs on Dave's blog were moving the seat aft less than half a centimeter and leveling the Alliante by my special patented method. Dave had me send the rear wheel I planned to use and he made sure the drivetrain worked with that wheel. I since decided to go with a different set of old school tubulars, which I love.

Kudos to Dave Kirk for building a dreamy dream bike.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combining that beautiful frame with FMB 25mm must give a pretty damn smooth ride....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel: you're right about the 25mm FMBs. It's like a magic carpet ride, but I know for sure that I'm moving along at my typical average speeds, or even better. I still ride 23s occasionally--there's that edgier turn in that I like for some riding, but I don't race any more (haven't for years), so the benefits of the bigger tires are more important to me. I've been around this stuff long enough to know that it's a great fantasy to ride Paris Roubaix tires just so I can imagine myself holding up a paver trophy at the Roubaix velodrome, but I like gear that takes gear out of the equation, which these heavier, sturdier wheels do. When I ride my lightweight wheels I'm a little more conscious and careful of where I'm going. With these, if I'm in DarrenCT territory in Westchester County with random gravel roads, I can just go. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel: you're right about the 25mm FMBs. It's like a magic carpet ride, but I know for sure that I'm moving along at my typical average speeds, or even better. I still ride 23s occasionally--there's that edgier turn in that I like for some riding, but I don't race any more (haven't for years), so the benefits of the bigger tires are more important to me. I've been around this stuff long enough to know that it's a great fantasy to ride Paris Roubaix tires just so I can imagine myself holding up a paver trophy at the Roubaix velodrome, but I like gear that takes gear out of the equation, which these heavier, sturdier wheels do. When I ride my lightweight wheels I'm a little more conscious and careful of where I'm going. With these, if I'm in DarrenCT territory in Westchester County with random gravel roads, I can just go. Tim
    Yeah. I moved almost all of my wheels to Veloflex Roubaix 24mm. Race on these as well. A bit of weight penalty but the confort more than makes up for it. I got to give these FMB a try.