Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kent Eriksen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kitted out for the season - SB concept Eriksen

I think the choice of the Lizard skins bar tape was the correct one, the color is much nicer. It makes me want to try something other than the black tape that I usually run.

I agree with you on the mirror logos looking awesome in person. I also went with a mirror logo/bead blast finish and it looks ok in photos but looks fantastic in life, I am sure your looks even better in person. Finally I also have 1 inch shaped chainstays on my ti frameset and I also love how stout they look and how stiff they feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Back to the purple Lizard Skins tape (much nicer than the Supacaz; and a better shade of purple), tyres switched to Grand Bois Cypres (turns out the Challenge P-R SC S have a pure white sidewall, which I *hate*!) and the Corima 47 WS wheelset is now on (a review wheelset, so I can't remove the shouty white logo):

Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have waited until today to post - here's a pair of better pics in daylight:

I'm *itching* to pull the logos off the wheels, but it looks ok aside from that - although the Corima lacing pattern makes the wheels look really messy.

That said, I do like the way the spokes and hubs match the polished logos on the frame. If I were spec'ing a wheelset right now I'd struggle to go past polished hubs with silver spokes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another glamour shot (that's not all that different from the one above, but still):

It turns out the frame was sold to me as having clearance for 32s, but is actually only built for 30s. Can't blame Eriksen for this - it was clearly stated on the frame drawing that it was spec'd for 30mm tyres. However, I overlooked that on the basis that it was advertised as having 32mm clearance.

Problem is, even the Grand Bois Cypres on the bike at the moment are too wide (at 30.4mm) and are rubbing, so it looks like I'll have to revert to the Compass Chinook Pass I was originally planning on going with, or I might finally try the Anthracite-coloured Vittorias.

Damn shame, though - the wide clearance was part of the reason for buying the bike; and I was beginning to really enjoy the wider rubber until I checked the chain stays this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another glamour shot (that's not all that different from the one above, but still):

It turns out the frame was sold to me as having clearance for 32s, but is actually only built for 30s. Can't blame Eriksen for this - it was clearly stated on the frame drawing that it was spec'd for 30mm tyres. However, I overlooked that on the basis that it was advertised as having 32mm clearance.

Problem is, even the Grand Bois Cypres on the bike at the moment are too wide (at 30.4mm) and are rubbing, so it looks like I'll have to revert to the Compass Chinook Pass I was originally planning on going with, or I might finally try the Anthracite-coloured Vittorias.

Damn shame, though - the wide clearance was part of the reason for buying the bike; and I was beginning to really enjoy the wider rubber until I checked the chain stays this morning.
    Sorry to hear the clearance that you were hoping for isn't there. You can still party pretty hard on 30mm tires though! Some Strada Bianca tubulars or something similar would be a smooth ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah well, chuck it in the bin. The search for perfection continues.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stays can be manipulated, nbd.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Small CX bike

and it really *needs* a Sweetpost - Eriksens just don't look right without one.
    Nice rig. I have a Sweetpost installed on my Woodrup. Lovely.

BTW, I'd be interested to read what you think about the Corima 47. I have a pair laced to CK R45D with Sapim CX Ray. In hindsight, I should have chosen the 32 for the front although I am happy with the 47 for the rear. I find that the 47 up front gets pushed around by cross wind a little too much for my liking.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so how does that thing actually ride??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    Stays can be manipulated, nbd.
    I was going to say something along these lines, but with much less authority. The ti Hampsten Strada Biancas I have (I admit to now having two), both of which were built by KE, can clear 35mm tires no problem, and I doubt that the stays are different from the ones on this bike. Just the amount of crimping is what I figure. Probably easier to do before welding, but not impossible to do after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    so how does that thing actually ride??
    Ride? You mean these things arenít just for looking at and obsessing over?...

I was a bit dazzled initially as it felt like some kind of holy grail - those massive stays mean it doesnít really feel like Ti, but actually rides more like steel. Itís like it has all the zip of an overbuilt Ti frame without the harshness that overbuilt Ti can result in. The stays mean it has much more of a steel Ďbuzzí to it, with what feels like a much shorter wavelength with regard to the store and release of energy, unlike the usually more lazy feedback loop of Ti (which, in my opinion, is really what creates the sensation and reputation of Ti being Ďcomfortableí).

It has compliance, but I suspect most of that is coming from the tyres as the front end and down tube are stout and the fork is no noodle.

This is the most Ďin the bikeí I have felt - probably even more so than my Gaulzetti. I feel like I ride differently on it; and todayís ride made me realise that I can ride harder for longer on it (even after two recent bouts of tonsillitis).

The 32mm tyre issue does play on my mind as that was a massive part of my justification to buy it, only to find Iíll probably end up running the same 28c tyres Iíve been running on and off for years, meaning I wonít get to really test the wider tyres at lower pressures that formed part of that justification. That made it feel a bit like an expensive mistake.

However, that is also partly because Iíve been buying tyres for clincher review wheels, so buying a set (which werenít cheap) that Iím going to have to replace sucked balls. When I eventually get back to riding my own wheels Iíll be back on tubs; and it seems damn near impossible to find tubs with slick tread above 30c, so eventually thatíll be a moot (no pun intended) point anyway.

I already considered selling it on account of the tyre issue (well, that plus a $4k car service bill and house reno costs that have now blown out by an extra $10k), but Iím not convinced I could follow through even if someone did bite. I need to get over that and get on with enjoying the rest of the very good things about the bike.

FWIW, I wonít be getting the stays manipulated to improve the clearance.

Of course it helps that it looks f$&king delicious!:

B4DA3712-1F39-43BD-A9F3-06FDF91E8EF7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    BTW, I'd be interested to read what you think about the Corima 47. I have a pair laced to CK R45D with Sapim CX Ray. In hindsight, I should have chosen the 32 for the front although I am happy with the 47 for the rear. I find that the 47 up front gets pushed around by cross wind a little too much for my liking.
    So far so good, despite the fact that I too would have preferred the 32s (these are review wheels and I wasn’t asked which I would rather have); and even despite their comparatively hefty 1700g weight. In fact even the 32s in tubular format are something like 1400g, so the whole range is on the porky side.

If I were to buy a set of the rims it would be to build them into my own choice of hub - but that’s as much because the quirky Corima lacing pattern really doesn’t look right with disc brakes.

As for that Sweetpost, I’m hoping to order that and a compatible saddle in the next week or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious if you have used a caliper to get an exact measurement between the chain stays where the tire sits. Today's tire measurements and rim combinations make little sense in actual mounted widths. It all depends on the tire/rim. Examples: 25 mm Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on Easton Aero 55's (internal rim width = 19.5 mm) measure 29 mm; 25 mm Conti GP 4000's on Enve 4.5's measure 27.5 mm; Same Conti's on AC Argent rims are 28.5 mm; And, 28 mm Michelin Pro Endurance on Velocity Quill rims (a very wide 21.5 mm internal width) measure just 30.5 mm wide (they are obviously taller). I have had the AC's and Enve's on my rim brake Ericksen Ti with 1" stays (spec'ed for 28's) and it has around 3 mm on each side of the tire. The Michelin 28's combo would fit with 2mm on each side still remaining but that is obviously tight. I'm pretty sure you have at least 36 mm between the stays, I bet your 32 mm tire/wheel combo measures quite a bit more than 32 mm? Tubulars measure closer to stated size and thus some 32's may well fit.

So far so good, despite the fact that I too would have preferred the 32s (these are review wheels and I wasn’t asked which I would rather have); and even despite their comparatively hefty 1700g weight. In fact even the 32s in tubular format are something like 1400g, so the whole range is on the porky side.

If I were to buy a set of the rims it would be to build them into my own choice of hub - but that’s as much because the quirky Corima lacing pattern really doesn’t look right with disc brakes.

As for that Sweetpost, I’m hoping to order that and a compatible saddle in the next week or two.
    Tom Griesel

Current: 2018 Custom Speedvagen Road, Oasis Custom Cycles Lugged Reynolds 531 Retro/Modern Road, Fuji SL One.1, Custom Road Ericksen Ti, Vincent Steel Lugged Road (handbuilt by me), Specialized Limited Edition CruX Evo, Paul Taylor Custom Fixed Road, Jeff Jones Custom Space-frame, Bamboo single speed project

Incoming: Vincent #2

Wishlist: Pegoretti Responsorium or Love #3 (in 55 cm just in case you have one for sale!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did have some kind of similar disappointment when I found that the Columbus Hiver fork that was supposed to fit a 32cm wide tire (that was confirmed by Columbus through their facebook page) it barely fits a 30cm wide tire, which defeated my purpose of using Schwalbe S-one tires on wide rims (or any other fast-gravel tire, like strada biancha, WTB exposure, etc...) at least in the front. I find it a bit annoying because many 700x28c tires grow past 30c on wide rims and it is a pain to be always checking on forums what the actual tire width of a certain tire is once mounted. I even though to replace the fork with the new Whisky No.7 for the extra clearance, but the price is steep and it will not be match-painted, so for the moment I will keep the Hiver fork.

At the end I came to the conclusion that it is a very minor niggle that does not detract me to fully enjoy the bicycle. Sometimes we are too perfectionist and tbh your Eriksen is lovely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    I am curious if you have used a caliper to get an exact measurement between the chain stays where the tire sits. Today's tire measurements and rim combinations make little sense in actual mounted widths. It all depends on the tire/rim. Examples: 25 mm Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on Easton Aero 55's (internal rim width = 19.5 mm) measure 29 mm; 25 mm Conti GP 4000's on Enve 4.5's measure 27.5 mm; Same Conti's on AC Argent rims are 28.5 mm; And, 28 mm Michelin Pro Endurance on Velocity Quill rims (a very wide 21.5 mm internal width) measure just 30.5 mm wide (they are obviously taller). I have had the AC's and Enve's on my rim brake Ericksen Ti with 1" stays (spec'ed for 28's) and it has around 3 mm on each side of the tire. The Michelin 28's combo would fit with 2mm on each side still remaining but that is obviously tight. I'm pretty sure you have at least 36 mm between the stays, I bet your 32 mm tire/wheel combo measures quite a bit more than 32 mm? Tubulars measure closer to stated size and thus some 32's may well fit.
    I’m fully aware of all of this, which is why I say “32mm”, not “32c”; and yes, I did measure with a calliper - the clearance at the stays is more like 34mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$4,000 car service??? Do you drive a Lamborghini?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmuthariley View Post
    $4,000 car service??? Do you drive a Lamborghini?
    Tell me about it - hence it being quite an unexpected and unpleasant surprise, particularly for a Volvo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured you were. Interesting to me since mine was spec'ed for 28 mm. I just pulled off my wheel and chainstay gap measured 32 mm at the tire.

I’m fully aware of all of this, which is why I say “32mm”, not “32c”; and yes, I did measure with a calliper - the clearance at the stays is more like 34mm.
    Tom Griesel

Current: 2018 Custom Speedvagen Road, Oasis Custom Cycles Lugged Reynolds 531 Retro/Modern Road, Fuji SL One.1, Custom Road Ericksen Ti, Vincent Steel Lugged Road (handbuilt by me), Specialized Limited Edition CruX Evo, Paul Taylor Custom Fixed Road, Jeff Jones Custom Space-frame, Bamboo single speed project

Incoming: Vincent #2

Wishlist: Pegoretti Responsorium or Love #3 (in 55 cm just in case you have one for sale!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sweetpost absorbs buzz and dampens hits without feeling like it's on squishy coil springs. And, it's very easy on the eyes. I never thought I could wax lyrical about a seat post...

My Corima tubular wheel set weighs in at 1481g with 28 spokes front and rear.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it allowed to post my new Built bike in this thread? Built and Eriksen are basically the same company, right!?

I couldn't find a Built thread, but if there is any, please let me know.

The custom process with Brad was awesome and I'm so happy with the result. The first ride will be soon hopefully but the roads over here are still covered in salt :-(

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something to do!!!IMG-20181105-WA0001.jpg

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast