Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kent Eriksen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kent Eriksen

So nice! You need to post some photos of the flat-mount brake mounts. They remind me of Firefly’s—so clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Small CX bike

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Approaching two years since the last post on this thread, so...

I now have this incoming - a customer order that was defaulted on and happens to be perfect geometry for me:

I guess that's me officially a road disc convert, then.
    I'm glad you finally caved in! I saw the PSA you posted across the hall and could tell you wanted it dearly for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It finally arrived today after being in the country for almost 3 weeks but being delayed by paperwork issues and the stupidly slow customs release process here.

It's *beautiful*. I wasn't sure about the polished logos, but I love them now; and the chain stays are ridiculously big and beautifully shaped.

I've finished the build, but I'll post pics when I can get some in daylight. For now it's running an eTap HRD group and DT Swiss wheels, both of which I have on review. I'm hoping to justify keeping the eTap group as the levers are so damn comfortable.

The rest of the kit is all spares box stuff with Columbus Futura forks I already had (which were supposed to be for another build), a Hope headset (I already had the top race so just had to buy the right format bottom race) and a Fizik post and stem I had from another bike.

Now that Phil Wood are really close to releasing their tapered headsets I think it might eventually get a matching polished Phil headset and Phil seat clamp to match the polished frame logos; and it really *needs* a Sweetpost - Eriksens just don't look right without one.

Also on my wish list are Paul Comp "Set N' Forget" thru-axle skewers as the Columbus skewer needs a 6mm allen key to undo it (which I hate), but I might just get a DT RWS to match what Eriksen sent for the rear.

Aside from that, I just hope it rides nicely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great, Rich! Eriksen’s workmanship is sublime. I’m pretty sure the company is now run by Brad, who is not only a welder extraordinaire, but also an incredible designer/inventor. If I’m not mistaken, he designed the Moots cinch post mechanism among other goodies.

Looking forward to the final build and ride report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    ...I’m pretty sure the company is now run by Brad, who is not only a welder extraordinaire, but also an incredible designer/inventor....
    from the website:

"In December 2016, Kent’s longtime friend and colleague, Brad Bingham took over Kent Eriksen Cycles with the intention to continue his titanium bike building legacy. Kent and Brad continue to work together at the shop. Kent works part time as he will eventually retire completely. Until then we are grateful to still have him and his expertise on our team!"

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's *beautiful*. I wasn't sure about the polished logos, but I love them now; and the chain stays are ridiculously big and beautifully shaped.

I've finished the build, but I'll post pics when I can get some in daylight.
    Wow. Isn't it daylight in Australia yet, Rich??? I mean, it's been a full hour since you posted :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Wow. Isn't it daylight in Australia yet, Rich??? I mean, it's been a full hour since you posted :)
    Ha! Just past 7am now (and already heading for 25ºC), so just snuck out to get a few pics:

More here.

Pics don't do those chain stays - or any of the rest of it, for that matter - justice. The welds are *sublime*, and the polished logos are really nice.

Thanks to the help of a forumite, I'm now fairly certain there's clearance for a set of Compass Stampede Pass 32s on it, so I think that's the way I'm going to go with this - it needs tanwalls but I'm not keen on the colour of the Clement LCVs I have to hand. I think the light tan of the Compass will be perfect, plus it gives me a chance to try some much wider rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it. Kent and Brad built me a custom road a few years ago after I visited the shop. I almost went disc but since I live in the desert I thought it overkill and went for the lighter caliper set-up. I have those 1" chain stays too. Yes, Brad's welds are simply amazing!
    Tom Griesel

Current: 2018 Custom Speedvagen Road, Oasis Custom Cycles Lugged Reynolds 531 Retro/Modern Road, Fuji SL One.1, Custom Road Ericksen Ti, Vincent Steel Lugged Road (handbuilt by me), Specialized Limited Edition CruX Evo, Paul Taylor Custom Fixed Road, Jeff Jones Custom Space-frame, Bamboo single speed project

Incoming: Vincent #2

Wishlist: Pegoretti Responsorium or Love #3 (in 55 cm just in case you have one for sale!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kitted out for the season - SB concept Eriksen

Rich,

Please tell me about that bar tape.. me likey.
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Rich,

Please tell me about that bar tape.. me likey.
    Rich, hold on. If it's for Artie's Zank, don't tell him. There is such a thing as too much purple. If it's to spice up the Hampsten with some flair, then by all means...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Just past 7am now (and already heading for 25ºC), so just snuck out to get a few pics:

More here.

Pics don't do those chain stays - or any of the rest of it, for that matter - justice. The welds are *sublime*, and the polished logos are really nice.

Thanks to the help of a forumite, I'm now fairly certain there's clearance for a set of Compass Stampede Pass 32s on it, so I think that's the way I'm going to go with this - it needs tanwalls but I'm not keen on the colour of the Clement LCVs I have to hand. I think the light tan of the Compass will be perfect, plus it gives me a chance to try some much wider rubber.
    Looks fab Rich! Where is our ride report?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Rich, hold on. If it's for Artie's Zank, don't tell him. There is such a thing as too much purple. If it's to spice up the Hampsten with some flair, then by all means...
    And, as I've learnt in the past, no two purples are the same...

So, Artie, tread carefully if it's for the Zank, but it's the Supacaz 'Super Sticky Kush' (apparently!). I'm yet to ride it, but all roads point to it being lovely to use, so I'm not too concerned.

Personally, for purple tape, I prefer the tone of purple on the Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm that I ran on this Curve review bike. I'll probably get that again, or the similar feeling Fizik stuff in orange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Looks fab Rich! Where is our ride report?
    About to take it out for a shakedown ride to make sure it's all sorted before a bigger ride tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet bike.i have seen the Eriksen stays in person. It is hard to do them justice in photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Sweet bike.i have seen the Eriksen stays in person. It is hard to do them justice in photo.
    They look like leftover top tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    They look like leftover top tubes.
    They are 1" so they could be leftover TT's!
    Tom Griesel

Current: 2018 Custom Speedvagen Road, Oasis Custom Cycles Lugged Reynolds 531 Retro/Modern Road, Fuji SL One.1, Custom Road Ericksen Ti, Vincent Steel Lugged Road (handbuilt by me), Specialized Limited Edition CruX Evo, Paul Taylor Custom Fixed Road, Jeff Jones Custom Space-frame, Bamboo single speed project

Incoming: Vincent #2

Wishlist: Pegoretti Responsorium or Love #3 (in 55 cm just in case you have one for sale!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About to take it out for a shakedown ride to make sure it's all sorted before a bigger ride tomorrow...
    I've been trying to reserve judgement and avoid the usual 'new bike elation' clichés, but I am thoroughly impressed. It's a sublime ride with a wonderful ride feel, but it feels like it's got plenty of get-up-and-go when you need it.

It feels more like a steel bike than most other Ti bikes I've ridden - it reminds me of my Gaulzetti.

I like it a lot.

Tyre-wise, I reckon I'll stick to the Challenge Paris-Roubaix, but I might go for the very light tan-coloured SC S version (I'd *love* to try the silk 'Ultra S' version, but they look to be nigh on impossible to get hold of). The reason being that I was focused on the fork clearance as being the limiting factor, but I didn't realise how close the chain stays already were to the 27c P-R I'm already running. Those measure at 30.5mm - the bike was built for 32s, but clearly a measured 32 and not a labelled 32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to think that the angle of your photos or the lens of your camera made your Parlee look a little funny, but seeing the Eriksen makes me think that maybe it was the Parlee. That bke looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And, as I've learnt in the past, no two purples are the same...

So, Artie, tread carefully if it's for the Zank, but it's the Supacaz 'Super Sticky Kush' (apparently!). I'm yet to ride it, but all roads point to it being lovely to use, so I'm not too concerned.

Personally, for purple tape, I prefer the tone of purple on the Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm that I ran on this Curve review bike. I'll probably get that again, or the similar feeling Fizik stuff in orange.

Thanks Rich, The purple tape might go on the green Savine. As for Purple...yes she is a fickle beast.
    The Purple Zank seems to work best with as much black as possible.
    My Hampco might get a respray later this year and I don't see purple in that equation either.

Thanks!
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the purple Lizard Skins tape (much nicer than the Supacaz; and a better shade of purple), tyres switched to Grand Bois Cypres (turns out the Challenge P-R SC S have a pure white sidewall, which I *hate*!) and the Corima 47 WS wheelset is now on (a review wheelset, so I can't remove the shouty white logo):

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast