User Tag List

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 241

Thread: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    I havenít yet, but thatís in the plan. The bike is setup for short reach brakes, but the clearance is pretty good. With the 28s that are on there, I could probably squeeze a fender in the back, but the front is likely to rub. I bet if I ran a shimano front brake, itíd give me the room to run a front fender and 28s.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...


  3. #223
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Figured I should post my Ebisu All Purpose. Have it built with Shimano 9 speed dt shifters and an ultegra long cage rd. Sugino Alpina or whatever they call it now square taper crank. H Plus Son Tb-14's laced to 5800 hubs. I mostly use it to commute, though this summer I have it down at the Cape.

    IMG_20180711_123815088 by dbh1836, on Flickr

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Niiiiice Ebisu! 9 speed is just right for that.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    19,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    Figured I should post my Ebisu All Purpose. Have it built with Shimano 9 speed dt shifters and an ultegra long cage rd. Sugino Alpina or whatever they call it now square taper crank. H Plus Son Tb-14's laced to 5800 hubs. I mostly use it to commute, though this summer I have it down at the Cape.

    IMG_20180711_123815088 by dbh1836, on Flickr
    Great build! I am way too weak morally to set up a similar bike for myself. Maybe more fiber in the morning? Anyway, nice bike and enviably simple setup.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Great build! I am way too weak morally to set up a similar bike for myself. Maybe more fiber in the morning? Anyway, nice bike and enviably simple setup.
    Admittedly, the ride is a tank. With racks, bag, and fenders (heavy VO stainless fenders at that), it's at least 25 lbs if not a few pounds more. Good excuse for why I'm always hanging off the back whenever I'm riding with a group. It may be heavy, but it handles quite well. You really notice the weight on hilly rides. I did a short 30 miles gravel ride in southern Vermont last week, and I could really feel the weight on those 10% climbs. I do love the positive ca-chunk of shifting Shimano 9 speed dt shifters.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Built some new wheels for this a couple months ago, King R45s to DT R460s. Might be my favorite riding bike I've ever owned


  8. #228
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    Good excuse for why I'm always hanging off the back whenever I'm riding with a group.
    Yes, but who's looking at the scenery? You.
    Who's adding to the scenery with a lovely bike? Also you.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Built some new wheels for this a couple months ago, King R45s to DT R460s. Might be my favorite riding bike I've ever owned

    Thumbs up on the RB-1! Have you seen the latest of these? They aren't exactly Grant Petersen, but they are pretty nice, using bulge-formed one-piece tube/lugs.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    I hadn't seen those, they look rather nice though

  11. #231
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In da Montana Rockies
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Beautiful bike, but I always stumble on the name Anchor for a bicycle. That just doesn't seem like a name I would associate of a nice rolling light bike.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newport Rhode Island ---> Monterrey Mexico 2022
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Just came across this short video while browsing the PEN website. I had a chance to visit the Cherubim workshop while traveling around Tokyo. I would love to order a R2 in cobalt blue.

    https://pen-online.com/videos/bespoke-built-to-ride/
    Yash Katsumi

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Thumbs up on the RB-1! Have you seen the latest of these? They aren't exactly Grant Petersen, but they are pretty nice, using bulge-formed one-piece tube/lugs.
    Replying to an old post here*, but does anyone have insight into how the tube joining process works here^. It appears to be hydroformed tube into a lug. I am curious, would the mated tube and lug then be brass brazed?

    *(It is winter here. I need something to keep me busy)

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    19,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Replying to an old post here*, but does anyone have insight into how the tube joining process works here^. It appears to be hydroformed tube into a lug. I am curious, would the mated tube and lug then be brass brazed?

    *(It is winter here. I need something to keep me busy)
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    My Samson from Fukuoka builder Harada Tetsuo.






  16. #236
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Beatiful Samson! How does it ride?

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    It rides well, I wanted something (or at least, I justified the purchase this way) that IMO wasn't easy to find from any-old lugged frame you might pick up on ebay etc: Larger tire clearance for comfort and bad roads (easily fits a 30mm measured under those DA 9000 calipers), a more neutral geometry for long days out and because I'm not racing anyone, and a good quality modern oversized tube-set for a good balance of weight and stiffness (853 OS/Max/Zona).

    It pretty much hits the mark. It handles well, is fantastic over long distances and it never feels sluggish or lacking going up a hill.

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Beautiful!
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    That bike looks just right for all kinds of riding.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Japanese Bikes Go Here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tychom View Post
    It rides well, I wanted something (or at least, I justified the purchase this way) that IMO wasn't easy to find from any-old lugged frame you might pick up on ebay etc: Larger tire clearance for comfort and bad roads (easily fits a 30mm measured under those DA 9000 calipers), a more neutral geometry for long days out and because I'm not racing anyone, and a good quality modern oversized tube-set for a good balance of weight and stiffness (853 OS/Max/Zona).

    It pretty much hits the mark. It handles well, is fantastic over long distances and it never feels sluggish or lacking going up a hill.
    Huge tyre clearance - that's so cool! How do we go about ordering one and how long is the wait time?

    The paint looks really nice. Flakes really is Japanese an NJS specialty.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •