User Tag List

Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Hey robin3mj, bring it up to the Cheesehead Roubaix this Sunday, I want to see this thing in action!
    No Cheesehead for me. Gravel Metric if it's dry (cx bike otherwise) and maybe the Ten Thousand in July depending on how long my trip home to Jersey (shore) ends up.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for GSmith, robin3mj, Saab2000, SpeedyChix, and anyone else with a Ti frame and steel fork... any downside to the steel fork other than the weight penalty? I'm really intrigued by the Gravel Royale, and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cost to get the oversized HT and a carbon fork. My main concern with the standard 1 1/8" HT is that if I want to try carbon disc fork in the future, my options will be limited. Thanks in advance for your input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    They pulled that link fast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    Not a bad option. Wish it had fender eyelets too though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
    Question for GSmith, robin3mj, Saab2000, SpeedyChix, and anyone else with a Ti frame and steel fork... any downside to the steel fork other than the weight penalty? I'm really intrigued by the Gravel Royale, and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cost to get the oversized HT and a carbon fork. My main concern with the standard 1 1/8" HT is that if I want to try carbon disc fork in the future, my options will be limited. Thanks in advance for your input!
    Other than weight I see no downside to the steel fork. But the added weight is not insignificant. Mine is 'robust' if you will. But that's on purpose and ordered by me. I wanted clearance for large tires and fenders and I wanted the ability to even install racks if that ever becomes an interest.

I don't know if anyone else has a bike like mine from IF. The model doesn't seem to be advertised on their website, but I think for customs, the model designation isn't really all this critical. They'll help build you what you want. Call them up and talk to them on the phone. You'll get way better information directly from them and on my build they were super flexible and the end result was on budget and on time and exactly as specced.

Not sure about the carbon fork options. I'd be curious myself. It would probably cut the weight of my bike by a pound or more.

But I think calling personally on the phone will get you faster and better information. Chris was my contact and he was full of good information about design details and contraction options.

As an aside, the handling on my IF is really nice. Super stable. I don't know why more road bikes aren't meant to handle that nicely but it would be considered 'slow' by some people. I'd rather call it stable and I think a lot of people would benefit by having more stable bikes. Go to my group ride nitpicks thread and see what people say about others not being able to hold a straight line. This bike would help. Sorry for the tangent.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, been in contact with Chris @ IF. Just looking for more opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy having the all steel fork on it. Does it weigh a bit more, yes. It's not what's holding me back. Going with a custom fork on the bike allowed them more flexibility to design the bike to fit me at my height while also accommodating the tire and fender combos I wanted. No concerns for me about hidden steerer tube damage should I end up doing some CX / trail riding with the bike. This week I'm riding the bike in VA. Monday's ride included dropping down off the Blue Ridge Parkway via Reeds Gap in the rain. It's a pretty significant drop at the top, I didn't find myself wishing that I had disc brakes. I'd build it out the same way again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Ryan of Foresta is repainting my ti Club Racer. Here are the BEFORE pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
    The steel fork is made in conjunction with the frame, and looks pretty pimp to boot.
    No downsides whatsoever.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to come late to the steel vs. carbon fork discussion. FWIW, I have ti bikes with both steel and carbon forks. Yes, a bit of a weight penalty with steel, but it does a better job of keeping the tire's contact patch in contact with the road. YVMV, but I feel more confident on fast descents with the steel fork. The carbon fork(s), disc, tapered or not, are indeed stiffer, and that has its place, but with that comes a harshness on rough surfaces.

Again, FWIW, I have two ti bikes with tapered steerer tube carbon forks; one of them disc. Both have oversized ti tubes and PF30 BB's. They are as stiff as any of my modern full carbon bikes (Time ZXRS, Ridley Helium and Noah), which is a bit of a bummer IMO, since it takes away from the sweet ride quality that you get in a non OS ti frame. In short, IMO, the OS ti tubes and tapered carbon forks are useful if you want a bike that is as stiff as a modern carbon frame, but want the longevity of a ti frame set, not the sublime ride quality of normal sized and butted ti.

Net, it all depends on what you want to achieve in terms of ride quality, and what kind of conditions you will be riding the bike in/on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Craig Foresta Ryan masterpiece.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Another Craig Foresta Ryan masterpiece.....

Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is nice- why isn't camo a more common finish option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    That is nice- why isn't camo a more common finish option?
    Thanks, camouflage once one digs into it is more complicated than one thinks. There are four colors less the clear coats so it take 3X longer than a single color. Also, you have to individually cut and place the shapes (no shape is the same to a greater or lesser degree) so having a system of getting it done just is not practical. This also increases the time and potenial error. And since time is money it is pretty expensive to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Thanks, camouflage once one digs into it is more complicated than one thinks. There are four colors less the clear coats so it take 3X longer than a single color. Also, you have to individually cut and place the shapes (no shape is the same to a greater or lesser degree) so having a system of getting it done just is not practical. This also increases the time and potenial error. And since time is money it is pretty expensive to do.
    What are you guys taking about? Where's the fork? I can't see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post
    What are you guys taking about? Where's the fork? I can't see it.
    Justin, one of your colleagues at the Manhattan designed this bike for me and had Parlee fabricate eyelets on this now invisible Enve fork. Ya'll did a great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refined for me: ti frame, traditional wheelset, Fizik double thickness tape, and vittoria all weather tires.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wondered where that section of broken pavement past the gate and through the paddock led to. This morning I found out.
    IMG_20140619_093116.jpgIMG_20140619_092733.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tristan, is that some sort of old coastal defense installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I always wondered where that section of broken pavement past the gate and through the paddock led to. This morning I found out.
    IMG_20140619_093116.jpgIMG_20140619_092733.jpg