User Tag List

Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    You guys aren't helping with the IF lust I have as of lately ... How often is that web store updated?
    Brandon. Ditch work today. I'll meet you at that shop that has a couple IF in your size hanging on the wall. It's time to scratch that itch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I check in on it every month or two and it doesn't change too often. The sense I get is that the bikes are generally show bikes that went unsold, and the frames were maybe ones where the original buyer backed out for one reason or another.
    That's what I figured too - so that leads me to believe "rarely" is the answer.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Brandon. Ditch work today. I'll meet you at that shop that has a couple IF in your size hanging on the wall. It's time to scratch that itch.
    Brandon, leap on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Brandon, leap on it.
    Ha - i just read this. I've thought about requesting the geo on _that_ frame several times. One day ....

I don't think my bday allowance will cover that and I don't think he's willing to budge on that bike that hasn't even been looked towards probably in years. You and I were probably the only two to actually have a conversation with him about it and mine took place over 3 years ago.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it is worth. I just walked in my house after spending some time at the IF factory. I happen to now live about ~18 miles from the factory. Let this be a warning to you - if you have any inclination of an IF 'itch' stay as far away from the factory as you can. That itch will blossom into full on hives once you step foot into the place. Show bikes, mtb bikes, road bikes, cross, bikes, steel, carbon, ti, blends, oh my...

They have a great set up. There is a retail store where the bikes are as well as some general bike retail items. The difference being that they only stock the merchandise they themselves use or recommend. From within the store you can look through a couple of large windows at either Bailey works bags being made or IF frames being made. And of course the people are great: friendly, dedicated, overall very customer focused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Looking forward to a visit during Raid Rockingham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been waiting to come up with a halfway decent picture of this to post. Consider this one my half-baked attempt to imitate Stefan's wondeful shots of his Firefly. Hopefully it worked.

Frame is a 2001 stock 52 cm (back when IF made stock sizes) Crown Jewel that I picked up a couple years ago completely pristine and never having been built. My LBS owner gave me a deal on some of his own 'last season' components and I added some basic wheels, and I've been riding it more or less unchanged for three years. Couldn't be happier with it.

IMG_0704.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF's are bad@$$... especially Ti ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    That's what I figured too - so that leads me to believe "rarely" is the answer.
    True, it is our "outlet", and can go months before something comes up that we'll put up for sale online. Our dealers tend to quickly grab any excess stuff for floor stock, and truth be told, I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to our own showroom. When you see new frames in the outlet, they are either the result of someone changing their mind, not paying, or a mistake in the process.

With the plethora of standards out there, every now and then something gets lost in translation between dealer/customer/work order and a frame gets made with the wrong BB standard, dropouts, cable routing, or something else that makes the bike perfectly rideable, but not what the customer thought they were ordering, even if they, or their dealer, signed off on what we actually made. It sucks sometimes, but to use a military term, its acceptable yield loss. In the end, some of these orphans end up getting built into show bikes and floor models, and some of them find new homes with folks who get a great bargain, so it's all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    For what it is worth. I just walked in my house after spending some time at the IF factory. I happen to now live about ~18 miles from the factory. Let this be a warning to you - if you have any inclination of an IF 'itch' stay as far away from the factory as you can. That itch will blossom into full on hives once you step foot into the place. Show bikes, mtb bikes, road bikes, cross, bikes, steel, carbon, ti, blends, oh my...

They have a great set up. There is a retail store where the bikes are as well as some general bike retail items. The difference being that they only stock the merchandise they themselves use or recommend. From within the store you can look through a couple of large windows at either Bailey works bags being made or IF frames being made. And of course the people are great: friendly, dedicated, overall very customer focused.
    Brian,

Thanks for stopping by and welcome to the neighborhood! Sorry I did not get a chance to meet you, but hopefully next time around. Join us for the RAID Rockingham in June, and watch the updates in the Events section here, since I'll be organizing some sort of social get together on the day/evening before the ride where you can meet a number of folks from here and the local community.

Cheers,

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Only you can decide, but i have 2 at the moment and have had 6 over the last 10 years or so..... not one ever disappoined and not one transaction with the upstanding guys n gals at IF, ever disappointed..... and their after sales service was always a pleasure....... just sayin'
    My indecision about decal choice (not helped by the fact that I'd ideally like a bit of paint on it, plus the cost of forks & headset), plus the scornful looks of the (18-week pregnant) 'CFO' are conspiring against me - I'm not sure it's gonna happen... *wails in the same manner his child is likely to when it arrives on the scene*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    My indecision about decal choice (not helped by the fact that I'd ideally like a bit of paint on it, plus the cost of forks & headset), plus the scornful looks of the (18-week pregnant) 'CFO' are conspiring against me - I'm not sure it's gonna happen... *wails in the same manner his child is likely to when it arrives on the scene*
    understandable..... I too have suffered the look that kills, especially when my wife was in labour, i was reading a cycling mag and tapping my foot......
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Happy wife, happy life.

Family first, there will always be an opportunity for another bike! Kids are expensive, but the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get the special IF Baby-Works package. It includes a deluxe made-to-measure bicycle for your wife and a hand-sewn BaileyWorks Whale Mouth snugly bag lined with chamois and lamb's fleece tailored to fit you perfectly. The baby will love it. Your wife can go for a ride while you take care of the baby. No bike for you, but you'll have plenty to do while your wife is gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to wait for the weekend to take some pics, but these showed up on my Tumblr feed overnight, courtesy of Brandon/Iron Cycles/Embrocation Magazine.
    They did a balleur job with the build and were super helpful throughout.

First (very brief) impression: smoooooooth!

Building this didn‚€™t suck.¬† And it‚€™s not ugly. - Embrocation Cycling

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

classy ..... no nonsense build, have fun
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    understandable..... I too have suffered the look that kills, especially when my wife was in labour, i was reading a cycling mag and tapping my foot......
    I got that look when we were in the hospital for my 3rd kiddo to be born.....Hospital had a network showing the TDF. We didn't at home. I was glued to that TV, much to my wife's chagrin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more glamor shots. This thing is getting rode this weekend- rain or no rain.

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one want to see it covered in mud and scratched to hell. Then I want a two page story about how you'll never forget "that" ride.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey robin3mj, bring it up to the Cheesehead Roubaix this Sunday, I want to see this thing in action!