User Tag List

Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    Wait. What's that in the background? Perhaps a 58 you want to sent to Canada?
    Funnily enough I sold a 58cm Mapei C40 to a guy in Canada a few years ago. In the photo is a 51cm which will be wearing a 9000 groupset by tomorrow afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,

I hope this is ok to ask here, since I guess I broke some rules with my other posts. Sorry to the Mods & thanks for directing me here...
    Looking at a used Corvid, but I am having very little luck finding reviews of the ride or frame weights. So, can anyone give me some feed back? How do you describe the ride? How's the road feel? Climbing/descending? Do you maybe know what yours weighs, frame & fork or complete bike? I don't want to go crazy worrying about weight, but I am interested.
    Me: I'm about 5'10", 155. Previous owner: about the same height, but 215. I did talk to IF, and they told me there wouldn't be a difference in how the bike was built, even for the heavier rider.
    My area has good roads & lots of littler steep hills but I can get to some pretty good climbs, so am interested in good manners on the hills.
    Thanks for anything you've got. And, if I messed up by posting this here, I'm sorry but I'm just looking for some information & it does seem like this is the place to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your best bet for feedback on a Corvid ist to check out The Independent Fabrication Owners' Club :: ifrider.com and post up your questions there..... Corvids are pretty rare, the chances of getting feedback are remote.

can you not test ride the example you are considering?

I have owned and have a few IF, none have disappointed on the ride front and as for weight..... I never weighed any of 'em.
    If I were you and the geometry worked, the finances don't over stretch and visually there is nothing off putting... I'd jump right in..... but you aren't me....
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the lead, Corko.
    No, I can't ride it. It's in Texas & I'm in the DC area, too.
    I've read nothing but good things about IF in general, but not much about the Corvid in particular. I'm not sure why this is stressing me so much. I never rode the Ti, the Ti/Carbon, or either of the customs I have before I bought them, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you that I've ridden with Gary a couple times he was on THE Corvid they sent out for destructive testing. Apparently the lab gave up, he's still riding the bike, it looks perfect and when I'm eyeballing the bike from the rear when he's gunning it hard up a hill I can detect no discernible chain stay movement. The bike is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one on Ebay?..... if it is the owner made a Youtube vid.... have you seen it.?
    search on independent fabrication and you'll find it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddy here in LA has a Corvid. He had a Canyon Ultimate SLX, which he says was one of the stiffest frames he's ever ridden.
    He says the Corvid is pretty damn stout and stiff itself. Probably not as jarring as your typical Tour level carbon frames, but pretty damn stiff.
    His Corvid is a 57cm size frame and with SRAM Red and Kinlin/Tune alloy wheels, his complete bike is around 13lbs. The Corvid builds a pretty damn light complete with normal parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    The one on Ebay?..... if it is the owner made a Youtube vid.... have you seen it.?
    search on independent fabrication and you'll find it.....
    Looked that up. Different guy, though same model. Interesting stuff. Thanks for the lead.
    Last edited by makoti; 01-28-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: new info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pasaparleez4 View Post
    My buddy here in LA has a Corvid. He had a Canyon Ultimate SLX, which he says was one of the stiffest frames he's ever ridden.
    He says the Corvid is pretty damn stout and stiff itself. Probably not as jarring as your typical Tour level carbon frames, but pretty damn stiff.
    His Corvid is a 57cm size frame and with SRAM Red and Kinlin/Tune alloy wheels, his complete bike is around 13lbs. The Corvid builds a pretty damn light complete with normal parts.
    Gomes, is that you ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They make nice bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    They make nice bikes.
    Great picture and it looks like a beautiful place to ride...and your IF looks sweet too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    They make nice bikes.
    Great bike...looks great with drop bars
    How does it ride in that format when it was designed for flat bar/29er?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk talk talk talk talk

steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The paint is impeccable. And I really like the paint on the inside of the fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boner!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt I broke a wedding vow looking at those pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both those white ones are fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's so many damn good custom options available these days it's really tricky knowing what to choose (not that I'm in a position to do so just yet). Thankfully it seems it's also pretty hard to make a wrong/bad choice.

If there's one company I always come back to though, it's Indy Fab.

I don't think they have the innovation piece nailed (it seems Tyler & Co. took that with them when they setup Firefly and immediately started doing integrated Di2, oversize head tubes and PF30 BBs, not to mention their delicious Ti anodising), and they might not have the 'one-man-band' appeal of a Sachs or Pegoretti. There's no 'balls-out race bike' Gaulzetti Corsa-esque aluminium appeal, nor is there the rarity of, say, a Vanilla...

But when I see paint jobs like those up there ^^ it just generates a smile, an appreciative nod. It makes me question how I would finish one, and whether I'd get the XS I always wanted, or the more classic-looking SSR, or the 'just because it's different' Corvid (although it bugs the hell out of me that they still don't seem to offer it with a tapered fork, regardless of whether or not it needs it!). It reminds me of the day I first saw one in the flesh and I couldn't stop looking at it whilst riding alongside; and the first time I saw an XS in Mosquito Bikes in London (raw Ti and lacquered carbon - probably still how I'd finish one if I were lucky enough to be able to).

Regardless of other options - and if I ever find myself in a position to get a custom frame again - I should just remind myself of this post and get an IF.

P.S. If anyone from Indy Fab is reading, your website hasn't had a decent update in *years*!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post

the 'just because it's different' Corvid - although it bugs the hell out of me that they still don't seem to offer it with a tapered fork, regardless of whether or not it needs it!
    I was lucky enough to be up north of Boston visiting family before Xmas and was able to setup a tour. I drove up late Tuesday morning and wires got crossed because I ended up getting a tour from Gary who know owns the place. He is a nice enough guy and while his plan was probably never to be out front, I get the sense that he really enjoys being a part of the heritage that has always been IF and keeping it as a smaller niche player that focuses on the best quality they can offer in all that they do. He was really proud of their paint and the high end paint both they obviously put a great deal of money into.

While on tour a few other IF-ers joined us and I brought up tapered forks as we discussed Ti gravel road bikes. They said they will do it with disc frames because it "sort of" has some merits but I got the impression that with the quality of Ti, Steel, and carbon these days none of them saw the point of tapered forks. I might be wrong, but that is the impression I took away from my tour and the fork conversation.