User Tag List

Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by sebaudet View Post
    Very Nice bike, i just fond the setback is very important...
    Yeah, it's the greater setback post they make, I think 28mm as Lionel states.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question Jim.... did you specify the dropouts or was it an IF recommendation? reason I ask is that i know that Paragon make innies and outies.... where the caliper is mounted inside the rear triangle, think they are referred to as low mount, outies being outside the rear triangle. The Low mount look a lot better on a road bike I think but is there any advantage of one over the other? Maybe a question for IF/framebuilders.......

Anyways enjoy the new Velocipede
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If xs os

Zip ties in the saddle stops are totally acceptable- and a good way to go.
    I did not realize that you were only using the fat zip ties until you found narrow ones.
    Yeah, the Shimano rear derailleur piece of housing is usually too short. I think they modeled it for a 1995 steel Merckx.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    That's the length it came. It works fine. I don't think that's going to be a problem. The angle at which it exits the derailleur towards the securing bolt is much more 'interesting' to me. It only comes straight out when the chain is in the largest cogs.

The zip ties are to hold the brake cable housing in place. The braze-on cable guides are of the open variety and cradle the cable housing. It is secured with zip ties as it runs along the tubes. I've seen this on mountain bikes too. The ties we had at the shop were too big for the holes. It will be solved with smaller zip ties. The placement of the current zip ties around the tubes is temporary until I can buy some smaller ones today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that one too- here is my rendition

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    very nice and even better when it comes for free! (well, at least some of it!)

Lately I've been thinking this sort of bike would be a good idea, haven't done anything about it yet but the evil plan has been turning over in my brain, I think it will look like this but with a bit more clearance and discs

Attachment 61050

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    question Jim.... did you specify the dropouts or was it an IF recommendation? reason I ask is that i know that Paragon make innies and outies.... where the caliper is mounted inside the rear triangle, think they are referred to as low mount, outies being outside the rear triangle. The Low mount look a lot better on a road bike I think but is there any advantage of one over the other? Maybe a question for IF/framebuilders.......

Anyways enjoy the new Velocipede
    That would be a question for an IF person to answer. I don't honestly know. I didn't specify these types of details because I don't have enough expertise and didn't want to meddle in theirs.

I probably would have thought more about this if I knew more and I'd for sure be more meddlesome if this were a pure road bike. That's where I do know something but this is a new experiment.

I'd love to have Gary or Chris pipe in on this. It's a newish model for them and I'd also love to hear their thoughts on some of their design choices.

As to the paint Lionel commented on, it's gorgeous! I wanted a bit of 'something' on it and this is what we came up with within a specific paint budget.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've moved to Virginia Beach, for better or for worse. I will be looking for places to ride this. Might try the swamp. Are those roads open to the public?
    Should be, except when they close off sections for forest management and hunting. You can find info & map here: Home - Great Dismal Swamp - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The area with the most contiguous trails is the northwest corner - the parking areas at Jericho Lane or Railroad Ditch. Both areas are connected to each other, so you can park in one or the other. And you can reach Lake Drummond from both - nice lake but quite shallow all the way across. I can't remember if they have decided it was created by a meteor or an earthquake or something else. The other roads can be reached from the northwest but would require going outside the swamp to get onto them from Railroad or Jericho. That didn't used to be the case - you used to be able to ride the whole swamp - but they've allowed some things to go back to the cyprus. In the warmer months, there are deer flies in the swamp that bite so hard they draw blood. Winter is much better. Shouldn't be any motorized vehicles in the swamp, but bicycles are allowed. If you see a skinny 75 year old guy birdwatching from a rusty hybrid bike, that's my dad. Say hi.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope I can keep up with you descending madmen with this thing! Going uphill is a question of the buffet..... This should aid my confidence going downhill. I'm heading back to the shop in a couple hours to do the final stuff and tape the bars. I hope to get out for a couple hours this afternoon to test it out but it's supposed to snow, so we'll see.

This is purpose built for rides like Ballers!
    Huh? This bike is crying to be ridden when it's snowing! Sheesh, you'd think you've forgotten about all the time you lived in WI.

Speaking of which, now that it's warmed up to 30 degrees and the 15-20 mph winds have moved some of this morning's flurries off the roads it's time to dress for a road ride on the 29er....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Huh? This bike is crying to be ridden when it's snowing! Sheesh, you'd think you've forgotten about all the time you lived in WI.

Speaking of which, now that it's warmed up to 30 degrees and the 15-20 mph winds have moved some of this morning's flurries off the roads it's time to dress for a road ride on the 29er....
    Ha! I didn't ride in the snow there either. Actually, if I were living here in MI right now I would install snow tires and be outside. My buddies here all are used to using studded tires and fenders and ride all winter along and when it gets really ugly they use fat bikes. I'd love to get out today but the roads are super slick and even with these Michelin Jets I'd be taking too many chances with other cars. It stopped earlier but now it's all white out.......

As for riding in WI, I wish my airline based in WI would actually have us fly there again. I'd move back to the Midwest so fast my landlord wouldn't know what had hit them. The riding in Virginia Beach hasn't been especially inspiring. I will find a place to ride this one though!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple more shots from the build. I think it's mostly dialed in now for fit, but I may need to install a 130 stem instead of the 140. And of course, the stem may come down too. I left extra room because it has been told to me that you can always cut more fork off but you can't put it back.... sage advice.
    Bike looks just about perfect, except it is a bit to big for me!
    Hope to see you on it at Ballers aught '14. Make sure you get it nice and broken in beforehand!
    Andrew
    Andrew Kimball
    Decatur, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been considering a cross-ish type bike like that for grasshopper races. Some of them have off-road sections that favor a cross bike.
    I think I wasn't cantis though-
    Have not decided if I want a ti version or if I just want to get a Specialized S-works Crux? The Crux would be light and geometry is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    very nice and even better when it comes for free! (well, at least some of it!)

Lately I've been thinking this sort of bike would be a good idea, haven't done anything about it yet but the evil plan has been turning over in my brain, I think it will look like this but with a bit more clearance and discs

Attachment 61050

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It works. Not very clever at uploading pics from the phone...

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fantastic. What do you think of the discs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    That's fantastic. What do you think of the discs?
    They seem decent. I'm an absolute newbie with discs. Don't know the first thing about them. The ride I just did was about 45 minutes in some paved trails around Arlington, VA. They seem to modulate well. The housing will have to be replaced with compressionless housing as it is a bit mushy, but not horribly so. They make a bit of a light scraping sound when braking. I don't know if that's the nature of discs or of they're not broken in or if the rotors or pads are just not high end.

I'm definitely curious about them but the initial impression is that they're OK. They didn't strike me as super powerful though but that would probably improve with the compressionless housing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They seem decent. I'm an absolute newbie with discs. Don't know the first thing about them. The ride I just did was about 45 minutes in some paved trails around Arlington, VA. They seem to modulate well. The housing will have to be replaced with compressionless housing as it is a bit mushy, but not horribly so. They make a bit of a light scraping sound when braking. I don't know if that's the nature of discs or of they're not broken in or if the rotors or pads are just not high end.

I'm definitely curious about them but the initial impression is that they're OK. They didn't strike me as super powerful though but that would probably improve with the compressionless housing.
    Give them a chance. I used disk breaks for the first time not too long ago when the Coconino arrived (with XT hydros). It was an absolute revelation coming from v-brakes and cantilevers. Sort of apples to oranges, but just wait till the break in and you put yourself in a position where you really want to brake hard - I predict you'll be a believer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydros are a different anamial than cabled disks.

Cabled disks with shitty housing sound like just that.

Not into it for any and all things road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It got dirty today. It is unclear whether or not this is covered in IF's warranty... I'll have to check.

Actually, this isn't even close to dirty, but I tried. There are no gravel roads right where I live and only a few places that aren't paved. If I look harder I can probably find something. I finally got the chance to get a tape measure and some tools and sort of fit myself. Still gonna play a bit with the fore/aft on the saddle and might try a 130 stem instead of a 140, but the 140 probably stays. I also put it where it belongs on the steerer tube. I think. I'm not cutting the fork yet but this seems like a good place.

Also trimmed the cable housing on the brakes and that made them about 1.7% crisper. Less housing to compress. When you squeeze the brake lever you can see the cable housing move in the middle of the housing. This is lost braking power and added mush. The compressionless housing is in my future. The brakes do seem nice though. Better modulation than I might have expected. The scraping sound is something I'll have to get used to I guess. Mostly road today with about 3 or 4 miles unpaved, just some dirt trail where it handled nicely.

It's a road bike but one made to handle some unpaved surfaces. It's not a cross bike. There were some obstacles on the trail and I got off the bike rather than try to ride over them. I didn't want to gouge the super expensive chainrings..... The BB drop is road bike-esque at 7.5cm.

The discs will take some more playing with, but I think they're fairly cool. One more thing on the brakes: I don't think they're totally optimized for road levers. The pull is a bit more than I'd like and I also wish they had stronger return springs built in to the brakes. But they're a good start. They may not be as good as hydraulic but they're not horrible either.

I have to trim the tires! The rubber peach fuzz is not very cool....

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ypu have already identified some drawbacks with discs (rub and poor return springs) but what did you think of the ride? .... too early to tell?

still think it looks gorgeous.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to keep in mind with discs is that your bike will stay cleaner because there is no black crap from the pads/rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    I think ypu have already identified some drawbacks with discs (rub and poor return springs) but what did you think of the ride? .... too early to tell?

still think it looks gorgeous.
    It's too early to tell but the indications are positive. It seems stiff, like a steel bike. The ride quality is hard to tell because I'm using tires that are quite large (compared to the road tires I'd normally use) and unfamiliar to me.

Today I did search out an unpaved path near my apartment and steered over some roots and around some puddles. At one point the front wheel caught something and I was immediately able to correct for it when it slid on the mud. The front end is definitely different from a normal road bike. I don't know what the head angle is or the rake and to me it's not particularly important, but it is stable. Frankly, I think this 'slower', more stable handling would not be out of line on a lot of road bikes, many of which are not that stable and some riders aren't super sharp handlers. It holds a line very nicely. They might actually benefit from handling like this. Not everyone should ride a TdF race bike.

I do plan to eventually put my 28 mm Ruffy Tuffy tires on it and ride it like a road bike. Then I can probably make a better assessment. But it seems very nice.

I did about an hour today on the road and on this dirt/gravel trail in Virginia Beach and about an hour last night in Arlington. Really not much.

I will say that I ran the tires at about 70 PSI, which is the maximum and they're too hard at that pressure for unpaved riding, at least on muddy surfaces and over roots.

The wheels are built by Ergott Industries and they were specified as tubeless upon Eric's recommendation. I plan to eventually try tubeless but the tires I currently have installed are Michelins with Michelin inner tubes. So they're very good but it's possible they can even be better.

This bike is all about experimenting with new stuff for me: discs, Ti, Dura Ace, tubeless eventually, etc. All new technology to this grumpy old man.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say that I ran the tires at about 70 PSI, which is the maximum and they're too hard at that pressure for unpaved riding, at least on muddy surfaces and over roots.
    I'd try 40-45. 70 is excessive.