User Tag List

Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If xs os

OH MY. You are one lucky Swiss MoFo. The bike going to open some doors to new adventures you have not even begun to imagine. WOW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jim,

bike looks rad. no excuses for bombing down the dirt road from the top of the park!

d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    jim,

bike looks rad. no excuses for bombing down the dirt road from the top of the park!

d
    I hope I can keep up with you descending madmen with this thing! Going uphill is a question of the buffet..... This should aid my confidence going downhill. I'm heading back to the shop in a couple hours to do the final stuff and tape the bars. I hope to get out for a couple hours this afternoon to test it out but it's supposed to snow, so we'll see.

This is purpose built for rides like Ballers!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christmas came early for sure...... looks really nice. :-)
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Christmas came early for sure...... looks really nice. :-)
    This is clearly my 2013 Christmas present to myself. I went a bit wild with the build and would have used stuff I already have but thought the move to 11-speed was inevitable and so with the cassettes and spacing didn't want to mess around. This new D/A group is the result. The spacing in the rear is 135.

Brand new bike. The only non-brand new stuff is the trusty Turbomatic saddle and the used, but nearly new PMP seat post. Otherwise everything else is brand new. Definitely an early Christmas for me!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!

So are zip ties temporary or permanent >

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Nice!

Zip ties are permanent but the ones installed right now are temporary, just to hold the housing in place so it's not loose flopping around. I'll try to take some more detailed pics later with the final installation. It'll be clean. They're just like the mounts on mountain bikes with disc brakes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Nice!

Jim, great looking bike. Don't let a bit of snow stop you today, especially if you're on gravel.

EDIT: Jim is quick on the keyboard. You can ignore stuff below.

Mountain bikes typically use open cable guides for brake lines and these use ties to affix the housing/cable to the guide. There are clips available for some of the open guides. Some builders offer closed guides as well but they make running hydro lines something you don't want to have to do very often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    very nice and even better when it comes for free! (well, at least some of it!)

Lately I've been thinking this sort of bike would be a good idea, haven't done anything about it yet but the evil plan has been turning over in my brain, I think it will look like this but with a bit more clearance and discs

image.jpg

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, here are a few preliminary shots. I drove about 660 miles today and we drove to the shop to start building up this bad boy. The D/A stuff is gorgeous, as we all know. The rear derailleur cable routing is bizarre, to say the least (not on the frame, but in the rear der itself, just to clarify). It exits the rear derailleur to the clamp on the derailleur at quite an angle. The coating on the cable is fraying after, literally, about 5 shifts up and down the cassette. Still, it works perfectly, for for a group that was so meticulously planned, this seems to be a bizarre detail. Otherwise the group seems nice. It is stupid light. New technology to me, a decades-long Campagnolo user.

But the highlight is not the group, it's the frame, which is beautiful! The welds are perfect and the attention to detail is superb! It went together perfectly. I've been up about 18 hours so I'm only partly coherent but here go a few shots, cell phone pics. I did ride it up and down the street in Grand Rapids for a few minutes and nothing and nobody fell off! The seat post height is still just a rough guess and the headset spacers will probably be adjusted. The zip ties are not in proper place either. This is just a start. The fine tuning remains. But it's a general idea.... I'm very excited! Hopefully a real ride tomorrow!

Wheel report to follow. They are from Ergott Wheels and appear to be perfect, which I would have expected, but other than an initial inspection, I have not looked too much. I know they'll be perfect.

Outstanding. I definitely can store that for you in ATW for your frequent visits here. I bet I could even learn to shift the DA stuff to make sure the cables slide freely when you come to ride it.

Love the aesthetics, and eager for the early and full-on test ride reports.

Well done sir! (PS. And Tulio may even forgive you on this one....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is purpose built for rides like Ballers!
    Baller F'ing Bike decal coming your way shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    very nice and even better when it comes for free! (well, at least some of it!)

Lately I've been thinking this sort of bike would be a good idea, haven't done anything about it yet but the evil plan has been turning over in my brain, I think it will look like this but with a bit more clearance and discs

image.jpg
    That Eriksen looks sweet! This is my first custom Ti bike. I had a Merckx Ti years ago but was not in love with it. I'm hopeful this one will be different and I'm sure it will be.

The new one has long chain stays and pretty relaxed front end geometry. It looks really compact but actually the contact points are perfect and the same as my other road bikes. If anything, my first ride impressions tell me the stem may need to be shortened to a 130. We'll see when I get a chance to suit up and ride it, which may or may not happen today.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

Couple more shots from the build. I think it's mostly dialed in now for fit, but I may need to install a 130 stem instead of the 140. And of course, the stem may come down too. I left extra room because it has been told to me that you can always cut more fork off but you can't put it back.... sage advice.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great SAAB.

Don't sweat the zipties, that's just how it's done. There some plastic c-shaped clips that fit those guides, but they break, and zipties are actually more low profile and less noticeable as the clips are fairly thick. Place the head of the ziptie so you can rotate it to the "inside" of the tube, and it's pretty low profile.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the painted panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very Nice bike, i just fond the setback is very important...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. I think there is some nearby riding for this in Seashore State Park (you are in VA Beach, right?) unless they've shut that to bicycles. Maybe even Dismal Swamp NWR. The latter is flat but sand and dirt/mud roads through endless cyprus swamp. This time of year, it'll just be you and the bears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Very nice. I think there is some nearby riding for this in Seashore State Park (you are in VA Beach, right?) unless they've shut that to bicycles. Maybe even Dismal Swamp NWR. The latter is flat but sand and dirt/mud roads through endless cyprus swamp. This time of year, it'll just be you and the bears.
    Yeah, I've moved to Virginia Beach, for better or for worse. I will be looking for places to ride this. Might try the swamp. Are those roads open to the public?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28mm PMP post it looks like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give the rotors a little time to break in or just chuck and handful of mud on them and be done with it. That's a great setup.